Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Local FireChicken gets dropped by a four banger
awd4kicks
post Aug 25 2007, 09:24 AM
Post #1

DSMCentral Godfather

Group: Admin
Member No.: 26

The rebuilt transmission checked out and the car felt as powerful on the 24-25 psi as the day that I broke third gear. I confirmed that BP93 octane is working well with this particular cam timing and resulting in very little knock at WOT.

So what do you do on your first real night back out in the wild? I got the chance to rewrite a little history against the FireChicken.

First race:
30MPH roll... Go on third honk
I'm in second at about 4k RPM and the GM is in first gear. We both hit it for a good start and my turbo takes just a split second to build power. By the end of 2nd gear I had moved out entirely in front of the 383 stroked LT1. Third gear fell into place without any drama and it pulled at least another good car length or more. When 3rd wound out, I went for 4th gear but missed, and I called it good enough. The other driver said the distance between us was more than 2 cars at the end of my third gear but I couldn't tell you from my vantage point. (And that's alright by me! biggrin.gif ) It was fun and I definitely liked the out come, but there was little excitement or drama.

So when you haven't tempted fate enough, you go at it again!

Second race.
We started at the same speed and same gear selections, but this time I thought I would try to up my rolling launch by brake boosting. Well that worked like crap. The car wanted to speed up too much with the boost and by the time the third honk came I had squeezed the brakes enough to bog the engine. It was a miserable start but I did get to see the FireChicken shred it's rear meats as he took off! It was very cool to see/hear as he put a good 2-2.5 car lengths on me while I waited for the engine to get back on it's feet and spool up...

Thinking:
Forever...
still waiting...
Man that was a stupid way to launch...
should I just quit now...
no here comes the power...
I'll stay in it to see what happens

When second finally topped out i was back in the power curve and slammed third home. To my surprise I couldn't realize any real gain in my 2-2.5 car deficit. Thinking ahead, I made a mental note to absolutely place 4th gear before releasing the clutch and let the power make up the time. And what a plan it was. 4th gear was in power almost immediately. I could feel it build as the FireChicken seemed to be... yes, yes 4th gear is reeling him in. HOLY !@#* I'm really beginning to fly...
The engine was on full tilt and I had to verify with the tach that I had more RPM to go. As I flew by my worthy opponent I glanced down to see that the tach had just passed 8k RPM and I still had more to go before shifting. So what do you think I did? I let it eat the rest of the way to red line, for at least a full car pass and no doubt that the Talon had come back from an otherwise embarrassing start. We were moving fast enough that I wanted no part of 5th gear and immediately began to apply the binders. It even seemed to take a lot of time to scrub off the speed...WOW my heart was pumping like a freight train.

Now that was an exciting run. On the cruise back I re-ran the events through my mind, appreciated the fact that everything was still together and everyone was safe. Then felt the need to smoke a cigarette as if I just had some great sex. laugh.gif

Imagine... A first gen AWD DSM pulling the top end on a big inch domestic regardless of the launching ability. I'm liking this and I appreciate the re-run. biggthumpup.gif

--------------------
In Loving memory of David T Crebo
Greatness comes from the most unexpected places!
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JBone
post Aug 25 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #2

Post Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

Frickin' sweet, dude. biggthumpup.gif

--------------------
-The original (member) 007. Stop looking at me Spy!!
-98 S-10 P/U creepin' low on stock 15s!!
-You come off just a little more intelligent if you know how to spell the insults in addition to saying them

+Quote Post
MidwestDSM
post Aug 25 2007, 01:11 PM
Post #3

Post Master

Member No.: 151

great story kicks biggthumpup.gif

+Quote Post
wortdog
post Aug 25 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #4

Post Master

Member No.: 19

Bout time somebody killed that silly flaming chicken.

--------------------
Eric Wort
87 White Buick Turbo 'T' (11.71 @ 116.5, 1.61 60ft, slipping trans)
92 Teal Eagle Talon TSi AWD (burn victim)

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post Aug 25 2007, 03:13 PM
Post #5

DSMCentral Godfather

Yes, and the cool thing is that F-body is no slouch. I watched it hang very close to a C5 vette with a 10.9 track run under it's belt. I have a feeling we may get to see more of the EVO now. Out for some revenge I'm certain.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
turbohcar
post Aug 25 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #6

DSM Tech Wizard

Member No.: 214

That Firechicken is yesterday's news! Congrats Kicks, it's gotta feel good to have the ol' Talon back to like it was in the old days.

--------------------
"I hear he tunes the space shuttle also...and that thing is fast"

+Quote Post
AWD DSM 1
post Aug 25 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #7

DSM Tech Wizard

Member No.: 10

Better than the old days from what I've heard... biggthumpup.gif

--------------------
The fastest car I own is a minivan....

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post Aug 25 2007, 05:27 PM
Post #8

DSMCentral Godfather

Thanks fellas. It does feel good and I'll take it while I can get it.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
SCCA Stang
post Aug 25 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #9

Eats and sleeps DSM jargin.

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Aug 25 2007, 03:13 PM)
Yes, and the cool thing is that F-body is no slouch. I watched it hang very close to a C5 vette with a 10.9 track run under it's belt. I have a feeling we may get to see more of the EVO now. Out for some revenge I'm certain.

I have rode in the bird and I am also quite sure he was not in the throttle like he would in a race and I have to say, I am quite impressed.... so, good job kicks, good to hear that you are back in the saddle and the car is with ya this time.

--------------------
You CAN sleep in your car, but your CAN NOT race your house!!!
-------------------------------------------------------

Double Decker spoilers are uber ricerlicious!!!!

user posted image

+Quote Post
SCCA Stang
post Aug 26 2007, 07:21 AM
Post #10

Eats and sleeps DSM jargin.

Member No.: 150

I have now myself learned the ways of a good spraying and the firechicken's pilot should be aware that his 12.3 A/F ratio, while weak naturally aspirated should be fairly strong with the juice...... just be sure if a second or third stage of fog is used, lean it down each stage or you will be adding too much fuel to the blaze and burn the motor to the ground.

--------------------
You CAN sleep in your car, but your CAN NOT race your house!!!
-------------------------------------------------------

Double Decker spoilers are uber ricerlicious!!!!

user posted image

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post Aug 26 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #11

DSMCentral Godfather

The F-body owner knows that I'm always up for a race. regardless of vehicle prep. I would like to run the bird with spray on my current pump gas/24-25psi tune to see where everything falls in place. We need to get a full run with the bird with-out NOS too. Then I would like the fire chicken to make the nitrous run against a race gas-high psi tune on the Talon.

This coming Friday night Midnight Mayhem may be the best venue.

And for the love of God, finish that nitrous install. It's been on the car now longer than the engine has been in the car and never finished. GITER DUN! biggthumpup.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 03:56 AM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions