Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ATV vs. ATV Action
turbohcar
post Sep 19 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #1

DSM Tech Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 214

As some of you may know, I recently got into the off road ring and purchased one of the better big displacement sport quads on the market. Tonight, much like any night, seemed like a good time to find some prey. Here I am clipping along my favorite riding spot and I spy another quad owner on what appears to be a regular utility quad. As I get closer I realize, this is no ordinary 4x4. This is an 800cc 4x4 behemoth of displacement and raw power. Dual exhaust breathing heavily out of the V-twin barks a note similar to that of a rabid mastiff. He notices me and heads my way. Turns out he likes to think that his machine is top dog in this area and has yet to find an opponent worthy of the challenge. I bite on his invitation.

'05 Yamaha Raptor
660cc
?mph
400lbs

vs.

'06 Polaris Sportsman
800cc twin
72mph on the speedo
just under 800lbs

rider weight was the same

The first round was from a dead stop. He wanted to know how fast we should go until letting off. I told him to go wide open 'till you see God, then let off. I could only get mine to launch halfway decent if I feathered it in second so he immediately jumped 2 lengths on me. After I went full throttle I reeled him in with ease. After top speed was attained I looked back to see him a bus length behind. I figured maybe he let off when he saw that I was feathering it so I'll give him another go.

Second round he said go and I made sure he knew to stay in it. He did the "Spyrun" (formerly the Dutch Run) on me with a "1,2,GO!!!". He instantly put 3 lengths on me as I'm left at the line. I take off hoping to make it interesting. First I gained a bit but not much. Second and Third had me rolling on him like a funny car chasing a quadriplegic down the street. By the end of Third I was even with him as I hit Fourth, left him gasping for air. The end result was about the same as the first, 10+ lengths by the time top speed was made.

Third round was an afterthought. He came by me as if to do a ricer flyby. Regardless of this meager attempt, I couldn't let him think he could have one on me. Without downshifting in top gear I put 'er to the wood and let him have it from about a 55mph roll. I slowly started gaining and about the time I caught his rear bumper I hit the powerband and ran away from him. This one was only about a 5 length difference.

Raptor 3-0
Who's next? cool.gif

--------------------
"I hear he tunes the space shuttle also...and that thing is fast"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 06:44 PM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions