Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hot Rodded early 80's Vette goes down
awd4kicks
post Nov 8 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #1

DSMCentral Godfather

Group: Admin
Member No.: 26

I had a need for speed this morning. So I popped the garage and brought the Talon out of it's slumber. I'll try to convey the story with-out too many extra words...I don't have much time. Gotta head out of town.

Here is a brief description of the important images still in my adrenalyn soaked mind.

Wrapped by the leather bolsters of my cold Talon interior on this 35 degree morning. The engine idle falls from fast idle to the memorable rump-rump of a cammed-up 4-banger.

Traveling down a two lane, lit by the winter grey sky I see my planned turn-around point at Didleys (one of the local Hot Rod rebuild shops).

Within a split second a maroon early 80's Corvette peaks the Didleys drive with the rear tires engulfed in smoke, careening the car back and forth as the driver smiles his way through a couple of lively doughnuts in their parking lot.

As the Corvette aims for the exit, I decide that I am not turning around and the Talon goes into a low crawl like a lion on the Prowl.

A few turns and a number miles away I find myself behind the Corvette as the last remaining commuter pulls off from in front of the vette as we enter the racing circuit. The Vette lurches forward and I follow suite from a slight 2nd gear roll. I'll say that Didleys must have put some effort into that old smog chevy small block because we were dead even through all of second. I successfully engaged 3rd and the Talon locked on like a heat seaker. I'm on and off the go pedal to keep from pushing the Vette off the road in front of us.

Raw fuel smoke then rolls out of the vettes dual tail pipes as he gives up and blips the brake lights twice. A number of miles pass after this with the vette stuck in commuter mode and his tail tucked tightly between its hind quarters. (So much for picking up your freshly improved Hot Rod and feeling invincible.)

The road unwinds in to miles of visible freedom. I've grown bored looking at the tail end of this old American sports car. Third gear is again employed and the hammer dropped. Fast forward a few scant seconds and the vette is soundly miniscule in my rear view.

I enjoy the next few moments eating up glorious sweeping curves and blowing off miles like inches. To my amazement the Vette is roaring through the twisties behind me, but gaining no ground.

Lastly, I find myself at an inersection immediately after scrubbing off the speed that feeds. The Vette is finaly closing in as I wait for cars that were off the circuit to pass by. I spot an opening and light the tires into a blaze with the external dump sounding out the reapeted hit of the rev limiter as I crank the wheel left ending up nearly on the bumper of the commuter that just passed at about 55mph.

Oh baby...That's exactly what I needed. Fresh Vette meat! That was the last I seen of him that day.

That's the end of my attempt at describing the still images left burned in to my memory. I can only imagine that this poor fellow will be taking his vette back to Didleys this coming week saying that something must be wrong because he could not hold off or even loosely chase a little 4-banger. biggthumpup.gif

(Maybe I should work out a deal with Didleys to come by everytime they finish a customers car so they will bring it right back for more work! Haha)

--------------------
In Loving memory of David T Crebo
Greatness comes from the most unexpected places!
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spyonu2007
post Nov 8 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #2

Post Master

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8,139

AWESOME stuff man.. awesome stuff.
biggthumpup.gif

--------------------
Need a boost in the pocket book and with your health?
the real deal
If your not interested in an extra grand a month, cool beans... Its working for me.

+Quote Post
Kazz5
post Nov 8 2008, 04:31 PM
Post #3

Post Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 318

Loverly...

--------------------
... she likes bein' forced ...

+Quote Post
black92_tsi_awd
post Nov 8 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #4

Eats and sleeps DSM jargin.

Member No.: 389

biggthumpup.gif

--------------------
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD "The Black Golfball" How fast can a 14B go???
91 Chevy C1500 "Problem Child" **SOLD**
01 Impala DD
07 Trailblazer Wife's new DD

Cars run on blood, sweat, and horsepower...
Without the first two, you can't get the last"

SOB Racing "Sitting On Blocks"

+Quote Post
JBone
post Nov 9 2008, 04:25 PM
Post #5

Post Master

Member No.: 7

Very beautiful writeup ODT
biggthumpup.gif

--------------------
-The original (member) 007. Stop looking at me Spy!!
-98 S-10 P/U creepin' low on stock 15s!!
-You come off just a little more intelligent if you know how to spell the insults in addition to saying them

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post Nov 9 2008, 09:47 PM
Post #6

DSMCentral Godfather

Hahaha...Thanks guys. The story is a little choppy, but I really wished that I had about five or six still pictures of the events that took place. This was the next best thing I could do to showing the pictures memorized by excitement.

The Talon hasn't had a good feeding like that in a long time. It was good. I miss the thrill of the hunt that used to be much more regular.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post Nov 9 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #7

DSMCentral Godfather

Sic Fish 68 from CSS had this information:

'Thats my buddy Justin he works up there at Didley's if I remember right the car came stock with a 350 and an auto it now has a healthy lil 383 with a 5 speed.. reall not that bad of a car..'

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
natedogg
post Nov 10 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #8

Zen Master DSM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

Good run!! biggthumpup.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 12:55 AM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions