Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> playing with the boost.
natedogg
post Sep 30 2002, 08:10 AM
Post #1

Zen Master DSM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

You need to go on a logger run with me before you break that car again... :wink:

Seriously, we should check your knock/timing. Down at Josh's tonight?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
natedogg
post Sep 30 2002, 10:25 AM
Post #2

Zen Master DSM

See you there. Congrats on the kill btw. He beat you soundly last time, but it sounds like you spanked him hard this time.

+Quote Post
Turbo Tension
post Oct 1 2002, 08:02 AM
Post #3

DSMCentral Freak

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

1200F is actually pretty low, most people will have their EGTs reading 1400-1600. It's good that you're not straining the motor.

Nate: Did you ever download the update for your datalogger that allows it to correctly read 3/S timing? I emailed the guy who owns pocketlogger and he said that unless you get the patch, then the pocketlogger will always read timing 10 degrees in advance of what it really is.

Nice work Dan!

+Quote Post
natedogg
post Oct 1 2002, 08:30 AM
Post #4

Zen Master DSM

1200F is actually pretty low, most people will have their EGTs reading 1400-1600.  It's good that you're not straining the motor.

Nate: Did you ever download the update for your datalogger that allows it to correctly read 3/S timing?  I emailed the guy who owns pocketlogger and he said that unless you get the patch, then the pocketlogger will always read timing 10 degrees in advance of what it really is.

Nice work Dan!

Actually that only applies to the OBDII 3S's, which are '95 and up. 1st gen 3S's, like Dan's, will have good old Mitsubishi serial language talking to my logger.

And I actually think Dan's EGT temps might be a little high becuase his probe is mounted after one of the turbos, instead of in the manifold. Why did you put it there anyway, Dan? A lot of heat energy is used to turn the turbo...maybe more than 450 deg. F. I'm not exactly sure how much heat energy a 9b uses to spool up to 15 psi in parallel with another 9b.

+Quote Post
natedogg
post Oct 2 2002, 08:43 AM
Post #5

Zen Master DSM

The other turbo doesnt come into play, the thermacouple is looking at one bank of 3 cycl, and the front turbo. I will remove the proble and insert it in the back maniflold. After my two 13g's are rebuilt. For Now I will enjoy my fast spooling 9's.

Sure it does. Because half of the heat energy created in the combustion process of your engine is used to spool up the other turbo. You're only measuring the temperature of one bank of 3 cylinders. You could very easily have varying manifold temperatures when comparing the two, being leaner/richer in one bank than the other. Does this mean you should to have two EGT's? Probably not. But, its something to think about.

Yes, I'm sure about the logger working on 1st gen VR4's they use the same serial bus language as the 1st gen DSM's.

+Quote Post
natedogg
post Oct 2 2002, 09:58 AM
Post #6

Zen Master DSM

Ahh. Maybe when you relocate the EGT you can tap it into the cyl #6 exhaust runner. That would give you the best indication of when you are starting to run dangerously lean.

+Quote Post
Turbo Tension
post Oct 3 2002, 10:43 PM
Post #7

DSMCentral Freak

People on 3Si consider anything over 20 BAD, especially on stock pistons.

+Quote Post
Turbo Tension
post Oct 6 2002, 07:09 PM
Post #8

DSMCentral Freak

15psi. In colder weather and higher gears though I seen it spike as high as 17 smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 05:47 PM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions