Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this bad for my GSX?, Damn exhaust
dstock22
post Oct 8 2005, 03:41 PM
Post #1

Person of Wisdom

Group: Members
Member No.: 420

Ok so as some of you may know, somehow my stock exhaust cracked in half awhile back. I drove around with it like that for awhile and then from my cat to half way back on the pipe where the crack was, fell off. I have been driving around with the exhaust consisting of only the downpipe and what was left of the pipe behind the muffler for awhile now because I just don't have the money to get it all fixed at the moment. Yesterday, on the highway the downpipe fell off. Basically, right now my exhaust consists of only the manifold going right into the open.

Question, how bad is it to drive without any exhaust piping whatsoever? I won't have the money to get it fixed for awhile yet and I may not have a choice but to drive it on certain occasions. I don't wanna mess up my GSX for something as stupid as this, so I am just curious how bad it is to drive with the exhaust basically non-existant.

Thanks ahead of time for any input,
Dylan

--------------------
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Iron Goat
post Oct 8 2005, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Post Master

Member No.: 338

You won't harm anything in the engine in that condition. It's actually "ideal" for a forced induction engine to have no restricion after the turbo. I would put something on there simply for the fumes getting in the cab, but you won't damage anything, that much is certain.

--------------------
QUOTE (gsxracer80 @ Oct 31 2006, 12:41 AM)
thanks hcar.... I am still massaging that area trying to get it ready...

+Quote Post
akamiami
post Oct 8 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #3

Eats and sleeps DSM jargin.

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 16

you may not damage YOUR gsx, but you might damage someone elses.

Seriously, jesus-f-ing-christ man, take some pride in your vehicle and stop driving around in a leprous, mistake of a car. I have absolutely no sympathy for your situation. You need to be ticketed for excessive noise as well as letting parts just fall off your car on the interstate, and that vehicle should be taken off the road. Any competant law officer will take care of this for us. Do you have absolutely no concern for the unfortuante people driving behind you that are forced to dodge the parts just dropping off your car as if it's making a bowel movement?

It really pisses me off when I see some broke ass joke driving down the street and parts are nearly falling off of it. Nobody is THAT broke. So, suck it up, skip a few meals or go to title loans, and get your priorities straight or else you'll soon find yourself without transportation altogether.

--------------------
my cars breath smells like car food

+Quote Post
black92_tsi_awd
post Oct 8 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 389

I've got the stock downpipe and cat off my Talon...would it fit your GSX?

You can use it to get you by.

--------------------
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD "The Black Golfball" How fast can a 14B go???
91 Chevy C1500 "Problem Child" **SOLD**
01 Impala DD
07 Trailblazer Wife's new DD

Cars run on blood, sweat, and horsepower...
Without the first two, you can't get the last"

SOB Racing "Sitting On Blocks"

+Quote Post
akamiami
post Oct 8 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #5

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 16

thinking more about this, if there were any justice in the world you would be forced to have to scavenge for scrap metal to turn in to the junkyards in order to finally save up enough to purchase yourself a new exhuast.

Really bugs me when I see large debris on the roads, and your obvious only concern is for your own car.

--------------------
my cars breath smells like car food

+Quote Post
dstock22
post Oct 8 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #6

Person of Wisdom

QUOTE (akamiami @ Oct 8 2005, 07:19 PM)
you may not damage YOUR gsx, but you might damage someone elses.

Seriously, jesus-f-ing-christ man, take some pride in your vehicle and stop driving around in a leprous, mistake of a car. I have absolutely no sympathy for your situation. You need to be ticketed for excessive noise as well as letting parts just fall off your car on the interstate, and that vehicle should be taken off the road. Any competant law officer will take care of this for us. Do you have absolutely no concern for the unfortuante people driving behind you that are forced to dodge the parts just dropping off your car as if it's making a bowel movement?

It really pisses me off when I see some broke ass joke driving down the street and parts are nearly falling off of it. Nobody is THAT broke. So, suck it up, skip a few meals or go to title loans, and get your priorities straight or else you'll soon find yourself without transportation altogether.

Here is an idea, don't be an incompitent asshole to somebody that you don't know over something you know little about.

Who would honestly let something that they know is faulty just fall off their car and flop on the road behind them. The second either part of my exhaust made any indication that it was getting ready to fall off on it's own I pulled over and pulled it off.

You obviously know nothing about the car that I drive because I own one the most cherry, if not the most mint 1g GSX on this board. It has just turned 83k on the speedo and it is anything but a mistake of a car. Things like the stock exhaust cannot be helped but to go bad after 15 years of use.

Maybe I wasn't very specific in stating that it "fell off", if you would like I'll explain everything in great deal of detail for you from now on.

Please, learn up on things and ask questions before making a post like that.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
dstock22
post Oct 8 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #7

Person of Wisdom

QUOTE (black92_tsi_awd @ Oct 8 2005, 07:19 PM)
I've got the stock downpipe and cat off my Talon...would it fit your GSX?

You can use it to get you by.

I'm sure it would fit, don't see why it wouldn't. Thanks for the offer but I still have my downpipe and cat, I am just more concerned on getting my schooling and other bills paid for than making my car sound good at the moment.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
The Iron Goat
post Oct 8 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #8

Post Master

QUOTE (dstock22 @ Oct 8 2005, 07:39 PM)
Here is an idea, don't be an incompitent asshole to somebody that you don't know over something you know little about.

Who would honestly let something that they know is faulty just fall off their car and flop on the road behind them. The second either part of my exhaust made any indication that it was getting ready to fall off on it's own I pulled over and pulled it off.

You obviously know nothing about the car that I drive because I own one the most cherry, if not the most mint 1g GSX on this board. It has just turned 83k on the speedo and it is anything but a mistake of a car. Things like the stock exhaust cannot be helped but to go bad after 15 years of use.

I have a few comments about this post. First off, how can you call a car that's literally rusting apart cherry, let alone mint? A cherry or mint car is one that has been meticulously maintained. A clean paint job and low miles does not automatically put you in that category.

Secondly, you specifically said that these pieces of your exhaust "fell off". You can't get angry at Miami just because he read the words that you wrote. His opinoin of your situation is pretty strong, and I understand a certain amount of friction being caused by it, but don't act as if someone is ignorant due to misinformation provided on your part.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dstock22
post Oct 8 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #9

Person of Wisdom

Yea, I took it too far saying cherry or mint. Don't know what I was thinking on that one.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
turbohcar
post Oct 9 2005, 10:47 AM
Post #10

DSM Tech Wizard

Member No.: 214

Simmer down folks! Someone here has to have a stock exhaust they'd be willing to GIVE you surely. The stock exhaust is pretty hard just to get rid of let alone sell. Someone please help this guy out and let him take your stock exhaust you're not using. Either that or call Travis at KOU. They've got several I believe.

Everybody just needs to cool it. Miami, I understand your strong feelings about "hoopties" on the road that should not be allowed to grace our presence on the roadways. Dstock, please at least try and find a stock exhaust. I know there were several offered up in your last post and if not, I'm sure we can find someone here now to offer theirs up. I would offer my own but I've already scrapped it along time ago. Call junkyards, KOU, Spy, or anybody that's got one they're parting out. The one black92tsiawd is offering up WILL fit your car, so pick it up, find yourself a cat back (aftermarket or OEM) and you're back in business. If you don't want to buy new gaskets from Mitsubishi, buy some Copper RTV from NAPA, Autozone, or Advanced. It's good for exhaust gasket making.

--------------------
"I hear he tunes the space shuttle also...and that thing is fast"

+Quote Post
black92_tsi_awd
post Oct 9 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 389

dstock22
If you want the exhaust, PM me. I might even have some gaskets.

I just went and checked it out. I had to cut the studs after the cat so if you wanted to hook up a cat back you'd have to put new studs in. Of course want do you want for free!

--------------------
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD "The Black Golfball" How fast can a 14B go???
91 Chevy C1500 "Problem Child" **SOLD**
01 Impala DD
07 Trailblazer Wife's new DD

Cars run on blood, sweat, and horsepower...
Without the first two, you can't get the last"

SOB Racing "Sitting On Blocks"

+Quote Post
The Iron Goat
post Oct 9 2005, 01:35 PM
Post #12

Post Master

QUOTE (dstock22 @ Oct 8 2005, 11:15 PM)
Yea, I took it too far saying cherry or mint. Don't know what I was thinking on that one.

My apologies. I'm not looking to make any enemies or be an ass, so I'm sorry if I pissed you off. I haven't seen your car, so I don't know what condition it's in, so it wasn't fair to assume it is in poor condition. All I had to go on is the description in your post. The car could be immaculate aside from the exhaust for all I know. If I had a spare exhaust, I'd certainly hand it to you, but I'm out at the moment. Like the others have said, I'm sure someone will facillitate your need, but your last concern is damage.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dstock22
post Oct 9 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #13

Person of Wisdom

No worries man you didn't piss me off at all.

Here is an old post I ahd on dsmtalk with some pics, click.

She isn't perfect, but she is damn close.

black92_tsi_awd:

I'll let you know if I need it, but I still have the exhaust piping that has fallen off but if for some reason it isn't usable I'll get in touch with you, smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 12:15 PM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions