Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Evo RS, what do you know?
Red_06_EvoRS
post Oct 25 2006, 06:35 PM
Post #1

Person of Wisdom

Group: Members
Member No.: 145

I've been giving some thought to upgrading to a 2006 Evo. What does everyone know about the RS variant? I know it doesn't have the rear wing, comes in only white or red, doesn't have power windows, power door locks, power mirrors, or even a radio. What else has been left out? I know it has all of the go fast goodies but doesn't have ABS (a plus to many people).

I'm sure I can live without the power door locks & power mirrors. The power windows might be nice, though..especially with the tight fit of those Recaro's..it seems like it would be hard to reach over to the passenger side and crank down the window.

I test drove an Evo MR but that was the only Evo on the lot. I haven't seen an RS but I've read that they don't have too much sound insulation either...the trunk is bare metal. Sound insulation isn't too important to me but a bare metal trunk sounds pretty skimpy for that kind of cash. I don't want to take a huge step backwards in the comfort department from my GSX. Obviously, the huge step forward in performance is going to outweigh that for the most part..

I figure I can always add an aftermarket stereo but do they even have speaker wires run? That could be a pain. decisions, decisions. wacko.gif

--------------------
1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - all options except AT & leather *sold*
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution RS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
turbohcar
post Oct 25 2006, 06:50 PM
Post #2

DSM Tech Wizard

Member No.: 214

IMO, I wouldn't buy new. There are plenty of nice year or two old EVOs out there that can be had on the cheap if you're wanting to stay with an RS budget. Get what you want with a little sacrifice of age. Same car, just a year or two older.

Be careful if dealing with O'brien Mitsubishi. If you want some advice from a previous car salesman to deal with the guys over there, just PM me.

--------------------
"I hear he tunes the space shuttle also...and that thing is fast"

+Quote Post
Red_06_EvoRS
post Oct 25 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #3

Person of Wisdom

The main problem I have with buying used is you don't know how the car has been treated and with this type of car it probably wasn't treated gently.

As for O'Brien, I don't trust any dealers but if I get to that point I may PM you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
turbohcar
post Oct 25 2006, 07:21 PM
Post #4

DSM Tech Wizard

True BUT, what you didn't think about is what happens before you get your new car. Before you get your new car it is driven by three or more people.

The first being the guy that takes it to the shipping dock. I seriously doubt if he cares how hard he is on it. He won't have to look at it ever again after he parks it and he's got plenty to do, he's hauling arse.

The second being the truck driver that delivers it. I really don't think half these guys know how to drive a manual transmission. They always smell like burnt clutch after coming off the truck.

Third is the salesman/test drivers that drive it while it's on the lot, and or maybe the tech that checks it in after it comes off the truck. We used to go on joy rides with these. They are not easy on these things and really are pretty hard on them, especially because they're brand new and just starting the break-in procedure.

It doesn't matter what you get, at some point it's been driven hard and put away wet. It's the true enthusiast that drives his car with respect of the restrictions and proper procedures of maintenance. A good car isn't babied all it's life. It's got to be well maintained and driven reasonably. That means running through the gears every now and again, and being driven easy the rest of the time.

I think documentation, care, and age of the driver usually determines how well it's been taken care of, not just how old the car is or how many miles it has.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Red_06_EvoRS
post Oct 25 2006, 08:33 PM
Post #5

Person of Wisdom

Back to the point of this post...does anyone have any first hand knowledge of an Evo RS?

--------------------

+Quote Post
natedogg
post Oct 26 2006, 07:24 AM
Post #6

Zen Master DSM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

I have never driven an RS, but I can tell you I absolutely loved my GSR. It was all sports car with all the expected creature comforts of today. I personally don't think the fairly small price difference between the RS and GSR reflects all the creature comforts they took out of the RS. I say GSR all the way. The RS isn't even all that much lighter according to Mitsu's website documented curb weights.

IMO and the opinion of many of the magazine tests, the Evo's sport tuned EBC/ABS combo is far more of a help than a hindrance.

+Quote Post
Zmann42087
post Oct 26 2006, 10:48 AM
Post #7

Person of Wisdom

Member No.: 763

QUOTE (Black_93_GSX @ Oct 25 2006, 08:33 PM)
Back to the point of this post...does anyone have any first hand knowledge of an Evo RS?

I do... kinda. I've never owned an EVO, but my old man was shopping for a car this past summer, and I insisted that he test drive an EVO before buying a new car. So we went to O'Brien (in Champaign) and test drove the only EVO they had on the lot, an '06 EVO IX RS. The test drive was amazing... I wanted nothing more than to trade in my DSM for this thing (not that I have money for that).

I can't compare it to an MR, as I've never driven one. However, I do know some fundametal differences between the two. As already mentioned there is no wing or power windows. But also one big difference between the MR and RS is the tranny; the RS is equipped with a 5 speed and the MR with a 6 speed. The 5 speed felt great, btw.

One more thing, have you considered buying an EVO SE? I read in the November issue of SCC (yes, I finally got it) that in hopes of selling off EVO IX's before the X is released, Mitsu released a special edition EVO, the SE. I can't remember all the differences, but I know the front is a little different and the stitching on the Recaro seat is different. Just little stuff like that, but I thought I'd mention it.

+Quote Post
JBone
post Oct 26 2006, 01:45 PM
Post #8

Post Master

Member No.: 7

When the RS first broke onto the market, there were reports saying you could add a few options, the Urban Jungle Package, I think is what it was called. I believe it included a radio as an option, and possibly door locks or power windows, or both. That would leave to believe they left the wiring in the car. I checked their site last night and did NOT see that option, however.

Best thing to do to see the differences... go to a dealer that has one on the lot. If said dealer is far away, ask them. Tell them to go out to the car and look for the wire loom from the door to the jam and feel around. Never hurts to ask.

Something else to compare prices... The hugest difference between the RS and GSR is the front diff. Quaiffe sells one to put into a GSR, its $1475 from RRE. From my understanding, a Quaiffe unit is what's in the RS stock.

Stock for Stock difference between MR and RS is roughly $6700 and between GSR and RS is roughly $2400. That is sticker vs. sticker and nothing added.

Added to the MR over both are vortex generators and bilstein shocks. I hear the bilsteins are quite nice.

It's up to you how you want to spend your money, I have no real opinion. It's the wrong drivetrain that I'm entertained by nowadays.

Good Luck biggthumpup.gif

--------------------
-The original (member) 007. Stop looking at me Spy!!
-98 S-10 P/U creepin' low on stock 15s!!
-You come off just a little more intelligent if you know how to spell the insults in addition to saying them

+Quote Post
akamiami
post Oct 26 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #9

Eats and sleeps DSM jargin.

Member No.: 16

The urban jungle package also included a/c which wasn't a standard option on the RS. The front diff in a RS was a mitsu LSD, not the Quaife which is only available from RRE since they were the only ones who opted to pony up the dough for the first 30 or so front diffs and now have a monopoly on the part for life.

BlackGSX, it definately sounds like you need to be looking at a 'straight' 8 or 9 and not the RS from your ride comfort and amenity preference.

--------------------
my cars breath smells like car food

+Quote Post
natedogg
post Oct 26 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #10

Zen Master DSM

According the Mitsus website all RS's come with A/C standard now. Also all Evo trim levels now come with a helical LSD front differential. Generally there is less differentiation between the trim levels than when each different trim level was first introduced.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/evo...ecs.do#specsTab

+Quote Post
Red_06_EvoRS
post Oct 26 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #11

Person of Wisdom

They don't call it a GSR any more. I assume that is what they currently just call the IX. The three levels are RS, IX, and MR, from bottom to top. My understanding is that the mechanicals are identical between the RS & IX (except that the RS doesn't have ABS). The MR adds the 6 speed and Bilstein shocks. The RS & MR have an aluminum roof, whereas the IX's roof is steel. All 3 get an aluminum hood & fenders (and A/C). According to Mortor Trend, the IX weighs 81 lbs more than the RS; which comes out to 11.4 lbs/hp for the IX and 11.1 lbs/hp for the RS. They also had a 0-60 time of 4.3s for the RS and 4.7s for the IX. That could just be a difference in the particular cars, though. Either way, it isn't that big of a difference to be a deal maker or breaker.

I talked to the local dealer and they're checking to see if any other dealers have an RS on their lot for me to take a look at.

Thanks for the input.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Red_06_EvoRS
post Oct 26 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #12

Person of Wisdom

QUOTE (Zmann42087 @ Oct 26 2006, 10:48 AM)
have you considered buying an EVO SE?

I just looked up the IX SE and it is priced between the IX & MR. So, that now makes it four trim levels: RS, IX, SE, & MR. The SE gets the aluminum roof of the RS & MR along with light BBS wheels and a front "airdam extension". Still, only the MR gets the 6 speed.

Oddly, the Mitsubishi press release was July 31, 2006 but the SE is not mentioned on their "build & price" site. I did find one for sale on eBay: Evo SE on eBay

--------------------

+Quote Post
natedogg
post Oct 27 2006, 08:22 AM
Post #13

Zen Master DSM

They call it the GSR everywhere else. Just not here in America for some reason. Just my way of identifying the different trim levels because essentially they are all IX's.

+Quote Post
Kazz5
post Oct 30 2006, 08:35 AM
Post #14

Post Master

Member No.: 318

I believe it was never called a GSR in the States - but no big deal either way.

The only thing I've not seen mentioned about the RS is that, besides the roof being aluminum, the hood and trunk lid are as well.

Doing without those amenities can really suck depending on when and how you drive the car. Mine was a DD and I really need the A/C (more for passengers than myself) and I'm spoiled with power everything - especially windows for getting air moving. The cabin seems VERY noisy and buffeted ALOT with the windows down, however, so I tend to only crack the windows.

I'm convinced you could find a nice specimen hardly used with some homework. There have to be a number of once-owners that didn't like the ride, etc.

When the X comes out there will be a LOT of used ones pop up I would imagine - trade-ins!

Good luck!

--------------------
... she likes bein' forced ...

+Quote Post
natedogg
post Oct 30 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #15

Zen Master DSM

The hood and trunk on the GSR (yes I said GSR tongue.gif ) and MR are aluminum as well. You should know that Kazz. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Red_06_EvoRS
post Oct 30 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #16

Person of Wisdom

The RS does have A/C and I don't think I will miss power everything. I didn't have it before the Eclipse so I know what it's like. Plus, all of that power stuff just tends to break.

By the way, I pick it up tomorrow...

--------------------

+Quote Post
turbohcar
post Oct 30 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #17

DSM Tech Wizard

Are you trading in the GSX?

--------------------

+Quote Post
natedogg
post Oct 31 2006, 07:47 AM
Post #18

Zen Master DSM

QUOTE (Black_93_GSX @ Oct 30 2006, 09:38 PM)

Awesome! Congrats! I'm sure you'll love it.

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post Oct 31 2006, 07:47 AM
Post #19

DSMCentral Godfather

Group: Admin
Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Black_93_GSX @ Oct 31 2006, 03:38 AM)
The RS does have A/C and I don't think I will miss power everything. I didn't have it before the Eclipse so I know what it's like. Plus, all of that power stuff just tends to break.

Congratulations man!

We want pics! biggthumpup.gif

--------------------
In Loving memory of David T Crebo
Greatness comes from the most unexpected places!
user posted image

+Quote Post
Kazz5
post Oct 31 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #20

Post Master

Member No.: 318

QUOTE (Black_93_GSX @ Oct 30 2006, 09:38 PM)

Wahoo! Congrats!

Which color?

--------------------
... she likes bein' forced ...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:19 PM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions