Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When parents drag race
natedogg
post Apr 23 2003, 10:00 AM
Post #1

Zen Master DSM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

So over the past couple of days I have been borrowing my dad's van to move stuff into my new house. I let him drive the bimmer while I had his van. He quickly took a liking to it, enjoying the way it handled and accelerated. Keep in mind that this man has driven nothing but Chevy Astros or Ventures for the past 15 years. Last night I get a phone call from him with a very interesting story...

Apparently he was crossing the river on a bridge in the bimmer of course, when a younger kid in a lowered red little car with a big tailpipe (as he described it) started revving at him. Surprisingly enough, my dad took him up on his challenge and raced him all the way across the bridge hitting a speed of 110 mph throughout the race. Now I'm not sure what kind of car he raced or how hard he pushed my Bavarian machine, but he said they were neck-n-neck until the end when my dad pulled ahead.

When my dad called and told me this story, I almost fell on the floor in shock and laughter. If you know my dad at all, you know that he has never done anything like this before. He is a very laid back and non-confrontational 50 year old. Though he does have a competitive streak in him that comes naturally from being a small business owner. The thought of him drag racing to 110 mph completely shocks me, but at the same time makes me feel good that he can cut loose and have a good time especially considering all the crap and stress that he puts up with.

Needless to say, he didn't want to give the bimmer up to have his Astro back today. I think I actually got him considering buying either a new or used bimmer. I was trying to push the idea of a new M3 on him, but thats probably aiming a bit high. Its worth a shot though.

Well, I think next time I go to an auto-x event, I will invite him to come and drive the bimmer, while I drive the Talon. If he enjoyed the rush of drag racing a kid across the bridge, I think he would really enjoy auto-x.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AWD DSM 1
post Apr 23 2003, 11:08 AM
Post #2

DSM Tech Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

Haha! That's good. Sounds about like my dad. Used to own all sorts of muscle cars "back in the day"... ('64 FI vette, '72 big block vette) He's been driving s-10's for the past 8 years. I'd love to get him behind the wheel of a fast car again... biggrin.gif

--------------------
The fastest car I own is a minivan....

+Quote Post
scorp28
post Apr 23 2003, 12:14 PM
Post #3

DSMCentral Freak
Group Icon

Group: Tech Moderators
Member No.: 11

Cool. My dad used to drag race back in the late 50's early 60's but the fastest thing he has had since then was a early 80's pickup with a 454, unless you count an old Lincoln that took forever to get up to speed but once it got there it topped out about 160. Damn that was fun.

Oh yea, there is a 96 325i at Marigold Motors in Pekin for around 9G i think. It looks to be in good shape.

--------------------
Brian J
1996 Talon TSI AWD

Great indeed is the power of the dragon as the sun, yet humbly and slowly it meanders its way shy, minuscule indeed is the power of the tiny scorpion, yet it swaggers its tail and boasts to the sky.

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post Apr 23 2003, 10:48 PM
Post #4

DSMCentral Godfather

Group: Admin
Member No.: 26

Haha...WOW! That's awesome Nate!

--------------------
In Loving memory of David T Crebo
Greatness comes from the most unexpected places!
user posted image

+Quote Post
-j-
post Apr 23 2003, 10:58 PM
Post #5

Beginner

Member No.: 107

My dad used to drag camaros back in the 70s. he has quite a few interesting stories too. Like when it caught on fire at the strip....haha. Coincidently, the first time he took my mom out was in an rx-7, and they drove around town racing. That is until the cops cought up to them in a parking lot, and they had to run........ blink.gif
I guess times really haven't changed all that much after all. cool.gif

--------------------
we are not imports, we are not domestics, we are not riceburners, we are not jackasses, we are DSMers.

+Quote Post
katie
post Apr 24 2003, 11:13 AM
Post #6

DSM Chick

Member No.: 114

Nate...that is an awesome story!! My dad just im'd me yesterday and sent me a pic of his new toy that he just decided to go out and but.........A honda motorcycle, it's awesome! It's black with orange flame looking thingies on it, I'm not for sure what kind it is I think he said something about a 750...but I don't know much about bikes.....heck if he didn't tell me that it was a honda, I would have thought it was a harley lol Yup I'm pretty pathetic when it comes to bikes rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Bowen Michael Anderson 4/22/05
Baby Luke due 2/09/09

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 04:17 PM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions