Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone near Bloomington? Need some help., Boost leak test anyone?
DSM5
post Jul 23 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #1

Person of Wisdom

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

I seem to have a big boost leak somewhere, and its pissing me off.

I've done a test multiple times but im pretty sure my tester isn't seating well on the turbo because I can't really pressurize the system. Also, I have a tank, not a compressor type deal, so I'm getting tired of having to fill it up all the time. Most of you don't know me although I used to post when I had a blue GSX.

If anyone has some free time and would like to help me, I'll drive to your place, it doesn't matter to me. I just really want to get this fixed before MOD so that my car is running nice and good.

Help me out and I'll buy you some beer biggthumpup.gif . (we'll I'll pay for it, I'm only 19, lol)

O and background story on the problem: Can't boost over 5psi, and thats with vacuum line hooked right up to the wastegate. so its either a leak, or the flapper. Most likely a leak.

Thanks. AIM is TwistedDrum5 is anyone wants to talk.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mark95turbo
post Jul 24 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #2

DSMCentral Freak

Member No.: 21

QUOTE (DSM5 @ Jul 24 2007, 05:27 AM)

I've done a test multiple times but im pretty sure my tester isn't seating well on the turbo because I can't really pressurize the system. Also, I have a tank, not a compressor type deal, so I'm getting tired of having to fill it up all the time. Most of you don't know me although I used to post when I had a blue GSX.

If anyone has some free time and would like to help me, I'll drive to your place, it doesn't matter to me. I just really want to get this fixed before MOD so that my car is running nice and good.

Help me out and I'll buy you some beer biggthumpup.gif . (we'll I'll pay for it, I'm only 19, lol)

O and background story on the problem: Can't boost over 5psi, and thats with vacuum line hooked right up to the wastegate. so its either a leak, or the flapper. Most likely a leak.

Thanks. AIM is TwistedDrum5 is anyone wants to talk.

I had the same problem and it ended up being the wastegate was bad. I Dont own a DSM anymore, but if you still need help by the time im done moving ide be more than happy to stop by sometime and see if I can help you out. I live in Pontiac so im relatively close.

--------------------
2003 Mustang GT
2008 Harley Nightster
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 notch

+Quote Post
DSM5
post Jul 24 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #3

Person of Wisdom

QUOTE (mark95turbo @ Jul 24 2007, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (DSM5 @ Jul 24 2007, 05:27 AM)

I've done a test multiple times but im pretty sure my tester isn't seating well on the turbo because I can't really pressurize the system.  Also, I have a tank, not a compressor type deal, so I'm getting tired of having to fill it up all the time.  Most of you don't know me although I used to post when I had a blue GSX.

If anyone has some free time and would like to help me, I'll drive to your place, it doesn't matter to me.  I just really want to get this fixed before MOD so that my car is running nice and good.

Help me out and I'll buy you some beer biggthumpup.gif .  (we'll I'll pay for it, I'm only 19, lol)

O and background story on the problem:  Can't boost over 5psi, and thats with vacuum line hooked right up to the wastegate.  so its either a leak, or the flapper.  Most likely a leak.

Thanks.  AIM is TwistedDrum5 is anyone wants to talk.

I had the same problem and it ended up being the wastegate was bad. I Dont own a DSM anymore, but if you still need help by the time im done moving ide be more than happy to stop by sometime and see if I can help you out. I live in Pontiac so im relatively close.

Still got your boost leak tester lying around? lol, thats really the part I need.

How could I test to see if the wastegate is bad? How did you know it was the wastegate?

+Quote Post
Booztd 3
post Jul 24 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #4

Person of Wisdom

Member No.: 97

If you're up for the trip i've got everything you need to diagnose a boost leak test in peoria.....

--------------------
1990 Nissan 300ZX T
1992 Accord EX

+Quote Post
mark95turbo
post Jul 24 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #5

DSMCentral Freak

Member No.: 21

No. I actually never tested for a boost leak. I had a couple extra turbos laying around so I stole the wastegae off of one of those and swapped it out. So I guess I was just lucky with my first troubleshoot.

--------------------
2003 Mustang GT
2008 Harley Nightster
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 notch

+Quote Post
DSM5
post Jul 24 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #6

Person of Wisdom

QUOTE (Booztd 3 @ Jul 24 2007, 02:11 PM)
If you're up for the trip i've got everything you need to diagnose a boost leak test in peoria.....

See I wouldn't mind driving that far, the problem is, when I got there we'd have to chill for a while and let it cool down...you know how hot these girls get.

+Quote Post
turbohcar
post Jul 24 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #7

DSM Tech Wizard

Member No.: 214

When the wastegate is hooked directly the J-pipe it will only create 5lbs of pressure. Hook it back up to the stock boost controller and see if it helps any as far as that goes.

Make sure to have someone help you with the boost leak checks. While I can't do it myself, I'm sure someone will speak up and say so.

--------------------
"I hear he tunes the space shuttle also...and that thing is fast"

+Quote Post
DSM5
post Jul 24 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #8

Person of Wisdom

QUOTE (turbohcar @ Jul 24 2007, 08:39 PM)
When the wastegate is hooked directly the J-pipe it will only create 5lbs of pressure. Hook it back up to the stock boost controller and see if it helps any as far as that goes.

Make sure to have someone help you with the boost leak checks. While I can't do it myself, I'm sure someone will speak up and say so.

Do you know what the stock boost controller layout looks like?

+Quote Post
turbohcar
post Jul 25 2007, 08:56 PM
Post #9

DSM Tech Wizard

Wastegate......boost control module (L-shaped vacuum sensor w/ plug-in).....J-pipe

....... =vacuum hose

--------------------

+Quote Post
DSM5
post Jul 26 2007, 07:17 AM
Post #10

Person of Wisdom

QUOTE (turbohcar @ Jul 25 2007, 08:56 PM)
Wastegate......boost control module (L-shaped vacuum sensor w/ plug-in).....J-pipe

....... =vacuum hose

haha, I knew that...just didn't know which end was which on the controller

+Quote Post
turbohcar
post Jul 26 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #11

DSM Tech Wizard

The controller looks like this {}L with the {} being the body of the sensor and the L being the fittings for the vacuum sensor. I believe the top of the L goes to the J-pipe and the right side goes to the wastegate. I could be wrong but that's as I remember it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 07:57 AM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions