Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another 2G problem
dualdj1
post Jul 13 2010, 08:07 AM
Post #1

DSMCentral Freak

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8,716

Picked up a 97 eclipse RS for a friend. Patterson's helped me a ton already, so I've got his expertise to tap, but I'm hoping to really get into it Friday. It's got a stalling problem; we could drive it about 5-10 miles and it'd flat die. When trying to crank it, it'd either not fire at all, sputter, or start right up. generally seemed we had to wait 5-10 minutes to get it to fire. It's had coil pack, comp, and cam sensor replaced. Has some wiring that needs cleaned up, from where they broke a connector. Going to replace fuel filter and check pressure. He was told by someone (autozone i think) that it was the "main relay" that was bad. The only thing we could figure they meant was MPI/MFI relay.

Another thing I noticed, as we were unloading it... I was able to start it up, and the check engine light was on. When it started to sputter/try to die, the light flickered. So it seems to me like it'd be electrical of some sort, either bad ground or relay failing.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Gonna start digging through the books tonight.

--------------------
1978 Mustang II King Cobra
89 5.0HO, Stock Short Block, Ford F303 cam, 1.7:1 Crane Roller Rockers, Holley 650 Doubler Pumper, MSD 6AL, Pocket Ported stock heads, Hedman Long Tube Headers
5 spd Manual
Full roll cage, 9" full floater w/Currie trac lock/373 gears, RCI Fuel Cell
Project Page: http://www.brandttuning.com/projects.htm
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
dualdj1
post Jul 17 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #2

DSMCentral Freak

Pretty sure it's the crank angle/position sensor. Anyone happen to have a spare I could try that'll fit a 97 2.0 NA? No biggy, just figured I'd ask before spendin 70 on a new one.

Symptoms:

Ran fine for 30-45 min till hot. then got it to die, and wouldn't start again.
Had good fuel pressure.
No spark, except when it'd attempt to start then die again.
Main (MFI) relay was engaging properly.

if anyone has any other ideas, would love to hear them.

Thanks,
Jason

--------------------
89 5.0HO, Stock Short Block, Ford F303 cam, 1.7:1 Crane Roller Rockers, Holley 650 Doubler Pumper, MSD 6AL, Pocket Ported stock heads, Hedman Long Tube Headers
5 spd Manual

+Quote Post
dualdj1
post Jul 19 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #3

DSMCentral Freak

crank sensor fixed er up, sweet. Now just have to change the a/c idler pulley (which looks to be a PITA), and do a couple other little things...

--------------------
5 spd Manual

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 04:14 AM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions