> A change for DSMCentral
awd4kicks
post Jun 27 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #1

DSMCentral Godfather

Group: Admin
Member No.: 26

How are you all doing?

I don't hear from too many of you on-line these days. It seems that the DSM era is winding down to those that are hard core and those that don't use their DSM's as daily drivers except for a diminishing few. The EVO has successfully filled the very large void of Factory iron to tune on. This is great.

What is also great is that it makes the ownership of a DSM unique in an old school way. They are not antiques yet, but they aren't far from it. Soon these old street cars and their legendary performance from so little displacement will be something of value.

Something else that I feel is of immense value is the friendships, history and stories that have emerged from DSMCentral.

With that said I propose to make some minor updates to the site that label it less about DSM performance/tech and more about the DSMCentral OG's, their friends and families. There's no reason to close down the site and lose all of our valuable history and experience. I would rather keep it going as a place for us to talk about anything and everything as our lives move forward.

All of our experience can still be available for those that continue to pursue the DSM phenomenon like Chris Lang, Darryl and Susan Hudson as well as our newer members like 93dsmowner.

Our forums would be much less restrictive than in the past since the purpose wouldn't center around DSM tech any longer. In summary I would see DSMCentral more as a professional version of MySpace for our group of good friends.

Chime in and let me know what you think or if you have any other ideas. Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't think DSM's are dead. I know many of us still love the performance and feeling of accomplishment that we have experienced with these legendary cars. I also know that their popularity has dwindled and it's time for a change.

I'm open to forum category ideas or even to find out if no one is interested. There are other general forums out there that we can gravitate to, but that's not my first choice.

Post your opinions here.

Thanks!
Marcus

--------------------
In Loving memory of David T Crebo
Greatness comes from the most unexpected places!
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
93dsmowner
post Jun 28 2008, 01:51 PM
Post #2

DSMCentral Freak

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,799

DSM's aren't a fad. You guys are just getting old! tongue.gif

But seriously, there aren't very many high school kids who know what an Eagle Talon is. Hell, most of them don't recognize a 1G Eclipse as a 2G. However, ask anyone who has had an interest in import performance and they know what a DSM is.

www.cafepress.com has some neat DSM shirts for those of you who are looking for some nostalgia! smile.gif I'm slowly saving money to begin my Talon project. smile.gif

--------------------
If the sound of a DSM in the distance rowing through the gears gives you a hardon, you might be a car enthusiast.

+Quote Post
scrapin_frame
post Jun 29 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #3

DSMCentral Freak

Member No.: 319

I am down but not out yet. I sold my eclipse a couple weeks ago. I got close to $3000 out of it. I am going to save up for awhile and see what bites me. I may pick up another awd or i may just pay the wifes car down over the next year and buy me an evo next year. I have a line on a nice used time attack evo that will be up for sale next year. So we will see.

+Quote Post
black92_tsi_awd
post Jun 29 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #4

Eats and sleeps DSM jargin.

Member No.: 389

I'm for whatever keeps the site going. I found a wealth of knowledge on this site over the years. You guys have saved my a$$ a few times. I generally trust the opinons and knowledge of those on this board than some of the bigger boards that have a lot of people who think they know everything and you can get bad info that way.

I don't see why other makes of cars can be discussed as well as friend and family talk as Marcus suggested. It see like a lot of people have moved to Evos, Mustangs (sough, cough biggrin.gif) etc. We're all gear heads to some degree and cars are cars.

A "whatever" forum would probably be a good start...post vacation ideas, recomendation for a new tv, whatever.

--------------------
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD "The Black Golfball" How fast can a 14B go???
91 Chevy C1500 "Problem Child" **SOLD**
01 Impala DD
07 Trailblazer Wife's new DD

Cars run on blood, sweat, and horsepower...
Without the first two, you can't get the last"

SOB Racing "Sitting On Blocks"

+Quote Post
99Spyder
post Jun 29 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #5

Web Administrator Yo!

Member No.: 376

I guess that DSMs are coming up on 10 years since their last acknowledged production year... I am sure that each year claims the lives of more and more daily driven DSMs. Perhaps it is inevetable that as time passes DSMs won't even be considered as a modding platform. Give it a few more years and a mint 92 GSX will draw more attention than a huge exhaust and 10" tach on the dash.

It seems that the "ricer" crowd has fell off a lot too. Big aluminum wings and APC stickers are a much more rare sight than just a couple of years ago. Are gas prices stealing the desire to go fast or at least the money to do so?

What was this thread about again? Oh yeah... I am in favor of a social thread to just shoot the breeze in.

--------------------
Fast & Furious on the outside...DSM under the hood!!!

+Quote Post
awdnot2
post Jun 30 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #6

DSMCentral Freak

Member No.: 8

I think there is room for the technical (though I admit I cannot ever offer insight on that) and the social aspect.

So on that note -

Congrats to Katie on the news - a second kiddo on the way!

We are having a cookout on July 12 - will eat around 5:00 pm or so.
If you're interested - and I hope to see some of you guys I haven't seen in a while - pm us and we'll give you all the details.

Susan

I myself am just really looking forward to the times when the kids get old enough to do junior dragsters at Cordova --

--------------------
Darryl
Custom Advantage Motorsports
www.awdnot2.com

+Quote Post
katie
post Jun 30 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #7

DSM Chick

Member No.: 114

I will someday have a DSM again. Mike and I talk about it often but it seems like things keep coming up that prevent me from being able to get one... like being preggers ph34r.gif I like this site.... even if I don't have much to contribute these days, I feel like I've made some good friends and had some awesome experiences that stemmed from being a part of it

ty susan for the congrats smile.gif

What day of the week is the 12th? Bo and I can probably make it, but Mike may be at work. It would be GREAT to see you and your family again. It's been too long... again sad.gif my bad

--------------------
Bowen Michael Anderson 4/22/05
Baby Luke due 2/09/09

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post Jun 30 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #8

DSMCentral Godfather

Good feedback everybody. This kind of contribution is what I'm talking about. It's really nice to see the interaction between some of you that I have not seen or heard from in quite a while! biggthumpup.gif

And congrats Katie

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
katie
post Jul 4 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #9

DSM Chick

Member No.: 114

so I just took one step further away from getting my dsm sad.gif We traded in our 07 fusion on a MINIVAN dry.gif it had to be done, lower payments and more room. Gosh, I'm getting old lol. Now all I need is a flippin soccer ball and honor roll sticker on the bumper and I'm good to go lol.

Some day I'll get back into the "game" though ph34r.gif

--------------------
Bowen Michael Anderson 4/22/05
Baby Luke due 2/09/09

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post Jul 4 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #10

DSMCentral Godfather

Haha...Had to do that already myself a while back. laugh.gif sad.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
93dsmowner
post Jul 4 2008, 09:34 PM
Post #11

DSMCentral Freak

Member No.: 2,799

Yeah, slowly racking up cash to get my DSM on the road!

--------------------
If the sound of a DSM in the distance rowing through the gears gives you a hardon, you might be a car enthusiast.

+Quote Post
scrapin_frame
post Jul 5 2008, 12:13 AM
Post #12

DSMCentral Freak

Member No.: 319

QUOTE (katie @ Jul 4 2008, 11:33 AM)
so I just took one step further away from getting my dsm sad.gif We traded in our 07 fusion on a MINIVAN dry.gif it had to be done, lower payments and more room. Gosh, I'm getting old lol. Now all I need is a flippin soccer ball and honor roll sticker on the bumper and I'm good to go lol.

Some day I'll get back into the "game" though ph34r.gif

I know how that feels. I bought the wife a Chevy Equinox 2 months ago. 3 weeks ago i sold my Eclipse. I am losing my mind without having a quick car to drive.

I have already begun the search for something to tinker with. Not sure what it will be, but it is gonna be something cheap so i can afford something fast next year

+Quote Post
Dakota_DSM
post Jul 6 2008, 12:02 AM
Post #13

Person of Wisdom

Member No.: 1,184

I like the idea... I will stop by more often to see whats up. biggthumpup.gif

--------------------
Dakota D.|1995 Mitsu Eclipse GST
It's stock...

+Quote Post
SCCA Stang
post Jul 6 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #14

Eats and sleeps DSM jargin.

Member No.: 150

I like the idea of a social forum... I have moved away from DSM's in general, but not cars...

--------------------
You CAN sleep in your car, but your CAN NOT race your house!!!
-------------------------------------------------------

Double Decker spoilers are uber ricerlicious!!!!

user posted image

+Quote Post
The Iron Goat
post Jul 8 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #15

Post Master

Member No.: 338

Heck, I'll even weigh in. I think your idea shows a lot of insight and a well-grounded perspective. These cars were never meant to be a well-running long lasting tanks, but they are definitely fun to have. Right now, the rocket sits in the garage half apart, but it may go by the wayside in leiu of a motorcycle for economy's sake. Hopefully I can still hold onto it.

The social aspect of this site has always and will always be what keeps me checking in on it. The group of friends that came out of an interest in risking my life and endlessly wrenching on a machine that will only break again is one of the coolest groups I've met. There is a willingness to help each other that I haven't found in many places, and as always, the low BS content on here is phenominal. I say go for it.

--------------------
QUOTE (gsxracer80 @ Oct 31 2006, 12:41 AM)
thanks hcar.... I am still massaging that area trying to get it ready...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 03:35 AM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions