Reply to this topicStart new topic
> dropping the tranny
MidwestDSM
post Jul 22 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #1

Post Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 151

So I am gonna have to drop the tranny on the Laser to fix the throw out bearing and HOPEFULLY nothing else.
Not sure how high I am going to have to get the bitch to do this though...or if I even have access to jacks to get it up high enough. Car can't go anywhere, it doesn't move. Can't put it up on ramps, since the wheels have to come off.

So.......anyone wanna come help and possibly bring the tools for the job? I am such a noob when it comes to working on my own car it sickens me, but I am just afraid I am going to end up the with car jacked up, torn apart, and still not be able to drop the thing.

I am free Sunday after 3, and Weds after that. I would like to get this done asap. I know this is a LONGSHOT, but if anyone wants to help, I would be more than gracious. The DSM bretheren in B-N runs somewhat thin.

-Nick
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KOU In3
post Jul 22 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #2

Post Master

Member No.: 34

A regular jack and jackstands will get you up high enough to drop the tranny.

FWD trannies are white a bit easier than AWD ones.

*edit* edited for safety considerations *edit*

--------------------

+Quote Post
MidwestDSM
post Jul 22 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #3

Post Master

QUOTE (KOU In3 @ Jul 22 2004, 07:15 PM)
A regular jack and jackstands will get you up high enough to drop the tranny.

FWD trannies are white a bit easier than AWD ones. Heck, you can use cinderblocks instead of jackstands, and a wood block with a couple of your stock scissor jacks to get it high enough if you're truly desperate.

hopefully I get get it done Sunday after work, because I am tired off this "hey, can you give me a ride to and from work?" bullshit. I think the new ladyfriend is getting tired of it as well, she wants to see the beast run. Apparently she likes going fast, and her ex had a Civic, so obviously, she doesn't know what going fast really is. biggthumpup.gif

+Quote Post
AWD DSM 1
post Jul 22 2004, 08:37 PM
Post #4

DSM Tech Wizard

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (KOU In3 @ Jul 22 2004, 07:15 PM)
Heck, you can use cinderblocks instead of jackstands, and a wood block with a couple of your stock scissor jacks to get it high enough if you're truly desperate.

DO NOT DO THIS! Concrete blocks are NOT strong enough to support a car, nor are they designed to do so. Spend $30 and get a cheap jack and a set of jackstands and save your life.

--------------------
The fastest car I own is a minivan....

+Quote Post
KOU In3
post Jul 22 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #5

Post Master

Member No.: 34

Fair enough. Please heed their warning there.

Having seen it done enough times (sideways, not upright) I'd figured it plausible.

But no sense in risking it though. Especially if these guys have seen it fail. ohmy.gif

Thanks for chiming in before a possible mishap to set the record straight. I'll try to edit my back post from here to correct the misinformation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ranta18
post Jul 23 2004, 02:41 PM
Post #6

DSMCentral Freak

Member No.: 189

You'll need jack stands, jack, pickle fork for the lower ball joint, 32mm socket for the hub nut, 10-21 mm sockets and wrenches, torque wrench, high temp grease, and some patience when tyring to get the tranny back in if you're doing it yourself. I'd suggest having someone help when you go to put it back in and bolt it up to the engine.

Inspect the flywheel and clutch while you're at it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jbiggs97
post Jul 23 2004, 03:36 PM
Post #7

Beginner

Member No.: 278

not that i would be any help to you. but i may be able to swing by for support around 8 or 9. biggrin.gif got to support the b-n people biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Justincredible
post Jul 23 2004, 04:45 PM
Post #8

Post Master

Member No.: 181

QUOTE (ranta18 @ Jul 23 2004, 03:41 PM)
You'll need jack stands, jack, pickle fork for the lower ball joint, 32mm socket for the hub nut, 10-21 mm sockets and wrenches, torque wrench, high temp grease, and some patience when tyring to get the tranny back in if you're doing it yourself. I'd suggest having someone help when you go to put it back in and bolt it up to the engine.

Inspect the flywheel and clutch while you're at it.

pickle fork? 32mm Socket? 21 mm socket??(theres no odd numbered sockets needed)

neither of these are needed. as the hub nut and ball joint do not need to come out.

+Quote Post
AWD DSM 1
post Jul 23 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #9

DSM Tech Wizard

Member No.: 10

Check the VFaQ's for good instructions....

Clutch VFAQ

--------------------
The fastest car I own is a minivan....

+Quote Post
ranta18
post Jul 23 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #10

DSMCentral Freak

I've taken out plenty of DSM trannies. The 32mm and pickle fork is used for the hub nut and ball joint so you can take the axles out. Those VFAQ instructions SAY to remove the tie rod already. Its way easier to just undo the nut, pop the lower ball joint, and pull the axle out, vs unbolting a bunch of other crap, and unless you're a retard you can do it without damaging the boot. I couldn't remember if you use a 21 or not on anything. 19 mm for sure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Justincredible
post Jul 23 2004, 08:32 PM
Post #11

Post Master

Member No.: 181

I know what they are used for but you dont need them. undoing the hub nut is a BITCH for someone without air tools. What we are reffering to is undoing the 2 strut bolts to the hub. swing the hub down and the axle free all at the same time. o sorry you hafta undo a brake line bolt too.

why take out the axles? its not needed. Just pull em up out of the way when you pop em out.

BESIDES nobody is bashing you. just pointing out that you DONT need to do some of the stuff your advising. sure if you wanna bust a nut taking off a hub nut and screw with pickle forking a ball joint be my freaking guest. were just offering a shorter easier common way.

+Quote Post
ranta18
post Jul 23 2004, 08:37 PM
Post #12

DSMCentral Freak

Its cool. It is another way if you don't have the air tools or a big breaker bar. I'm just use to doing it that way on most cars. That other way is good too. I might have to try it next time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JMoushon
post Jul 23 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #13

Post Master

Member No.: 32

So Mike, why don't you pick up a fwd DSM as a DD? I know you can work on them, and they have to be faster than your current DD... Just a thought.

--------------------
2009 Scion Tc
1994 Del Sol Si
1991 Talon TSi AWD
1990 Mustang GT FOR SALE!!!

+Quote Post
ranta18
post Jul 23 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #14

DSMCentral Freak

Right now my DD is a 88 CRX with 190K miles. I consider it more reliable than a FWD Turbo DSM wink.gif J/K. If my motor blows, I can get one for very cheap and I know more about Honda's than anything else. I like the turbo 1st gen DSMs and know how to work on them from having many friends own them and them having me work on them. They are fun cars. As far as performance vs $$$ they are very good. My CRX is worth $1K max, so I'm stuck with it right now as all my money is going elsewhere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MidwestDSM
post Jul 24 2004, 12:07 PM
Post #15

Post Master

huh.gif Erm alright, hopefully I will be able to get the car high enough to do all this. Thanks for offering to come by Biggs, it would be appreciated. So far, the only people I've got that said they would be willing to help are myself and...well....probably myself. Hopefully I can get it done though. We have a jack and jackstands here, and I can get more tools if need be. Oh well, I guess I'll just let you guys know how it goes.

+Quote Post
eclipgst
post Jul 25 2004, 03:54 AM
Post #16

DSMCentral Freak

Member No.: 156

Just for some info for people, my car is the one at Rantas house. Hes helped me out alot and does know what he is talking about. Just because he owns a honda doesnt mean he doesnt know any thing about dsms. In fact i bet he knows more about dsms then alot of people on this site. So stop givin him shit! Oh and have a great day. biggrin.gif P.S. Ranta, you're not the only one who has built that car, so stop saying "I" just rebuilt a dsm motor. "We" just built a dsm motor. Oh and AWD DSM 1. Are you a female because your bitchin sounds just like my fieances.?

--------------------
Up and running. For now at least.

+Quote Post
MidwestDSM
post Jul 25 2004, 04:04 PM
Post #17

Post Master

I need a 32mm for the king nut, correct?

+Quote Post
SCCA Stang
post Jul 25 2004, 04:13 PM
Post #18

Eats and sleeps DSM jargin.

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (MidwestDSM @ Jul 25 2004, 04:04 PM)

yes, the spindle nut is 32 mm

--------------------
You CAN sleep in your car, but your CAN NOT race your house!!!
-------------------------------------------------------

Double Decker spoilers are uber ricerlicious!!!!

user posted image

+Quote Post
ranta18
post Jul 25 2004, 09:22 PM
Post #19

DSMCentral Freak

My bad Chris, WE.

IF anything happens with his car, he knows I will be there to help him fix it as I have in the past. I haven't charged him a dollar for anything I've done on it and a lot of time and effort has been put into it over the last 2 years. Thats just what friends do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turbo Tension
post Jul 26 2004, 08:40 AM
Post #20

DSMCentral Freak

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (MidwestDSM @ Jul 25 2004, 10:04 PM)

Nick if you pull out the axles as per the Vfaq's instructions you will have to get an alignment after we put everything back together.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 11:49 AM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions