Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DSM Link, Some general Tuning info
dualdj1
post Apr 16 2010, 09:30 AM
Post #1

DSMCentral Freak

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8,716

Being as I've researched tuning a ton for my Mustang, I told Patterson I'd check into the DSM Link system for him. Some of you may already know this info, but I wanted to post it for those that don't.

As with my mustang stuff, the recommended Wideband O2 sensor is the LC1. This is programmable Wideband that can be setup to emulate narrowband operations as well, so you can replace your existing HEGO/O2 sensor with it, even without running DSM Link. Wideband is a great place to start for determining tuning issues, even with just a gauge to eyeball what it's doing when you're having issues.

I also questioned the guy about GM MAF capacity. They are capable of flowing enough for over 600hp no prob. If you see issues with them maxing out, you most likely have a problem with your MAF translator. MAF Translators are not necessary with the DMS Link setup.

DSM Link is now USB based, so works well with most any laptop; their software looks very similar to what I use and has some autotuning capability. Any time you can get auto calcuations, so long as you know WHY it's doing what it's doing, then it's generally worth a little extra money. It's a lot easier to let the computer do the number crunching.

As I hear any more info or if we dig into it more, I'll post here.

--------------------
1978 Mustang II King Cobra
89 5.0HO, Stock Short Block, Ford F303 cam, 1.7:1 Crane Roller Rockers, Holley 650 Doubler Pumper, MSD 6AL, Pocket Ported stock heads, Hedman Long Tube Headers
5 spd Manual
Full roll cage, 9" full floater w/Currie trac lock/373 gears, RCI Fuel Cell
Project Page: http://www.brandttuning.com/projects.htm
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
black92_tsi_awd
post Apr 16 2010, 10:50 AM
Post #2

Eats and sleeps DSM jargin.

Group: Members
Member No.: 389

Keep posting, I've toyed with the idea of going to Link but I keep spending money on other things.

--------------------
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD "The Black Golfball" How fast can a 14B go???
91 Chevy C1500 "Problem Child" **SOLD**
01 Impala DD
07 Trailblazer Wife's new DD

Cars run on blood, sweat, and horsepower...
Without the first two, you can't get the last"

SOB Racing "Sitting On Blocks"

+Quote Post
natedogg
post Apr 16 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #3

Zen Master DSM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

I loved my dsmlink on the ole Talon before I sold it. Worked great, easy to use. I used it in conjunction with a MAF translator and 3.5" GM MAF. Best thing you can buy for your DSM IMO. DSMlink.com also has quite a bit of good information and a downloadable user manual, documentation, and demo.

+Quote Post
dualdj1
post Apr 16 2010, 02:35 PM
Post #4

DSMCentral Freak

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8,716

Not directly DSM Link related, but "professional" tuning software/realtime tuning, Pros/Cons of sorts:

I highly highly recommend a realtime logging/tuning capable system, or at the least a good logging/analysis platform. There is much advantage in being able to analyze/change things on the fly, but near as much in at least having detailed records of what your vehicle is doing throughout a logging session.

The key to good logging IMO is a wideband O2 sensor. If you can log that, even with your current setup, it's a huge advantage over reading a narrowband and just seeing if you're close to stoic. Hell even just being able to visually see your AFR helps, but logging it is a must really.

The log, analyze, burn process does work. It's just not near as flexible as a realtime system. Keep in mind that with something like DSM link, you have the capability of getting your base tune set, and then creating variations for different purposes (economy, all out drag, road course, etc), then you just upload whichever tune you want at the time.

With the system I use, I have a preset knob that lets me chose which of 4 tunes I want. I don't believe that's available with Link, so you'd have to upload every time you want to change, pretty much requiring you to have a laptop on hand. But, the plus of having a laptop on hand is that you can log pretty much all the time.

I've also looked at on board 12v PC setups, they're about the same price as a laptop.

The downside to this is obviously cost. At min you're looking at $200 for a wideband, again IMO you should have one regardless, $500 for DSM Link, and $400 or so for a laptop/12v pc. Now that's still cheaper than a standalone system, you don't have to modify your existing electronics much, and if you go the laptop route you've got a laptop that you can use for other things as well. With the PC then you've got an in car entertainment center.

And, the nice thing as opposed to the one Nate had, you no longer need the translator, just the correct cabling to connect the GM MAF

--------------------
1978 Mustang II King Cobra
89 5.0HO, Stock Short Block, Ford F303 cam, 1.7:1 Crane Roller Rockers, Holley 650 Doubler Pumper, MSD 6AL, Pocket Ported stock heads, Hedman Long Tube Headers
5 spd Manual
Full roll cage, 9" full floater w/Currie trac lock/373 gears, RCI Fuel Cell
Project Page: http://www.brandttuning.com/projects.htm

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:40 AM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions