Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The project begins
DSMCentral > Forum > Project Threads
ncgalant
I'm throwing this up so you 1g guys can throw me any hints/tips on things I'm not seeing.

Popping the hood of the VR4 the first thing I noticed is the clutter under the hood. Next I see that the hair filter + box are offset and the intake makes some nasty turns(battery in air filter location like my other galant). I've set myself a list of things to do that are inexpensive and at the same time will make the car better, but I'm up for suggestions on other projects.

remove all extra vacuum lines and cap(complete)
change all fluids(engine, tranny, Tcase, rear dif)
install a K&N and hack airbox
change spark plugs(bpr7es)
rewire the fuel pump
move the battery
install SAFC + boost guage
hack aircan further and install my old intake with 2g MAF
Turn up the boost after a good tune
See about changing out the end tank on my old IC to make it fit
Install 28x10x3 IC/w 2 1/2" piping
get a 3" exhaust and install my EVO manifolds onto a ported turbine housing

I'm thinking that list should get me into the 13s for a good start, provided the clutch holds up and the tranny cleans up with some synchromesh. Any suggestions gang?

Nathan
akamiami
you're asking for trouble.....but you know that already.
SCCA Stang
don't forget to do a boost leak test and possably check to see if the timing belt needs replaced, new gator back belts and new hoses couldn't hurt
TotalEclipse97
umm money and health insurance

oh

and a cell phone so you can call someone when you blow the piss out of your car on the interstate biggrin.gif
ncgalant
Trouble is ok when she's not my only car. A boost leak check was one I thought of today, I just got done with changing the gear oil in the tranny and T-case. I had to get out the breaker to get the plugs lose on both. Holy damn 117k tranny fluid is thin. The T-case has been recalled, so I figured I'd just change the fluid to synthetic for shiits and giggles.

The timing belt was changed by mitsu at 108k for the very first time ohmy.gif lucky for me the motor is still in one piece and the belt only has 9k on it. At the time they also did the water pump so that's all good.

I'm in high spirits about the project. The motor is clean. She doesn't leak or blow blue. At this point I'm thinking the worst I could need is some rebuilds on the engine/tranny within 20k. That's way down the road, so for now I'm going to happily feel some boost.
SCCA Stang
Sounds like a decent find.... obviously she wasn't beat on too much by the way you are describing... look forward to seeing her soon, good luck.... cool.gif
ncgalant
Just did a compression check. I got about what I expected.

132-130-150-135

I'm not sure what's up with the 150 other than maybe some carbon buildup on that piston. Otherwise I'm going to say she's got life left, but not a huge amount.

I ran her up and down the block a few times hoping the gears would clean up. Alass, second still zips, first still zips, and third still clunks. Maybe it just needs some more time, but I'm going to give up hope guessing a tranny rebuild is a soon must.
99Spyder
I am convinced that you would not know what to do with a perfect tranny...(insert transexual jokes here). Glad to see that you are back in the game even if at a modest level. Don't get too carried away!
ncgalant
I guess I should put my update onto this thread instead of the other. The motor's back in the car and runs.

There's terrible noise comming from the top end. It sounds like lifters, but louder. I'm going to pull the valve cover just to check. All I did on the top end was clean the lifters with some gas.

So far I've gone 10 miles or so and puked 6 or so quarts of oil onto the road. First I didn't have the oil filter shaft tight enough and the filter backed off. I was lucky enough to get it back on. When I drove it again, it leaked less, but still went through two quarts in just a couple of miles of driving. Overall she feels pretty strong and smooth though.
ncgalant
Well before I could get torn into it, the oil pump pulley broke and she jumped timing. Thanks to Rob I've gotten another head and front case. Both are on now, but the job's not completely complete. I just hope I can get the kinks worked out before SCDC.
awd4kicks
Keep at it. biggthumpup.gif
ncgalant
Well head #2 is toast. After driving 40 or so miles it seems the head just locked up. I was driving to chilli and the car was running great. I saw some smoke from the rear, nothing bad. I figured it to be another oil leak(stupid oil cooler). As soon as I clutched she died. I coasted into town. Temp guage showed on the hot side, so I let her cool down a bit. When I went to turn her back over I just heard some nasty clicking noise. I thought it to be the starter at first, but it didn't sound right. I later found it to be the timing belt rubbing on the crank pulley. With the valve cover off everything looks to be fine, yet I can't turn the gears over with a wrench like I could before. Who knows..... I guess this project will just have to wait a few more months until I can build up more capital.
ncgalant
I've had enought valve on piston action that I'm going to change out the pistons also. I'm just getting fed up with the setbacks. Espessially when I had it running pretty well. I'd love to know what went wrong. The head must have been oiled, you can't go that far without it. The only thing I can figure is a piece of metal got in there and restricted the flow.
AWD DSM 1
Let me know what you find out!!!
99Spyder
Did you at least find the boost leak before this mishap? Obviously not related but just curious. Once you get another head on there (#3) you will be tied with me.
ncgalant
The boost leak was still that split pipe. I got that and some small vacuum lines fixed and she was running perfect, well for a minute or two anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.