Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New project thread - 3000gt vr-4
DSMCentral > Forum > Project Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3
AWD DSM 1
In the spirit, I thought I'd start a project thread for my latest project. As most of you already know, I very recently purchased a 3000gt vr-4 in need of some major TLC from Spy. This car is not intended to be a "fix it up and sell it" project, but one that I may actually get to enjoy for a while. (insert laughter here)

Current condition of the car -

In a word - bad. Most of you know that the car was broken into a while back, and the thieves did a number on it.

Exterior/interior - Back hatch and rear quarter window are busted out, hatch and passenger door have been pried on and bent up. Because of the rear window being gone, rain at one point found it's way though a tarp and into the interior of the car. Carpet is now a nice brown color instead of a light grey. Seats are also destroyed. Other than the vandalism and water damage, though, the car's not that bad. Paint is still fairly glossy, no rust to speak of, and everything opens and closes with a precision that is very unfamilar to a typical DSM owner. Plus all the buttons inside are cool as hell.... biggrin.gif

Drivetrain - Car was originally taken out of service for a blown motor. Looks like detonation took it's toll on at least a couple pistons. Thieves helped here also, taking many of the essential motor parts out of the rear of the car, making it necessary to aquire a whole motor to swap in it's place. Tranny and Xfer case appear to be in good shape, with the first being freshly rebuilt, and the latter being almost brand new.

Mods - right now the car sports a pair of 13g turbos, a Supperdragger exhaust, lightweight flywheel and spec stage II clutch, drilled and slotted rotor all around, and a K&N filter.

Goals - Ultimate goal is to make the car run a 12.9 on pump gas, driving to and from the track with the A/C functional. Car will not be gutted. A/C, Stereo, power features will all be maintained. I don't quite see the point of stipping down a 3800 pound car - fat hoe will never be thin, why try? Might as well enjoy her cubbyness! Also, no body modifications will be done. At most, a fresh coat of paint to bring back the shine.

Call it a new beginning. After tearing so many cars down, I think it's time I put one back together. Please don't expect any overnight miracles - this will be a long and trying process, but I belive it will be a sucessful endevor. biggthumpup.gif
natedogg
Sounds like a fun project, Rob. Good luck with it!
turbohcar
I've got both side quarter glasses for $40 apiece and $115 for the back glass or if you want the whole hatch complete it'd be like $350. Let me know what you think. These are both off of a 3000GT I've got in the yard. Unfortunately, I don't have a door readily available but it's possible to order them. Interior parts are even more scarce. I tried finding some for Dan but had no luck at all. Look on www.car-part.com or www.billsmithauto.com and I can order anything off of there. Just keep in mind the farther away the part is (and the bigger it is) the more expensive shipping is going to be. Let me know.
AWD DSM 1
I'm looking at replacing the whole hatch. Was this a vr4? What color? I'd only need the passenger side quater glass, and the door isn't bad enough for me to justify replacing. I'm going to pull the interior out and see what really needs replaced, I might be able to clean some of it up and get by, at least for a while.
turbohcar
Hmmmmm....as I recall I believe the one I have is an SL. But, as long as the Stealth hatches interchange (minus the spoiler) I've also located one of those (which my computer says they do). The quarter glass should interchange regardless of trim. The car in my yard is black and I've actually got the drivers door at my store.
AWD DSM 1
The vr4 has the active areo option, which I believe sutomatically adjusts the rear spoiler based on speed(or something like that). Parts might swap over though. Color is perfect! Now, how to come up with funds.... sad.gif
JBone
I think the active aero didn't work on Shamou when she was alive, at least the front didn't work.
AWD DSM 1
Well, finally got some time to work on the car this weekend. Got the interior gutted, the hatch off, and the quater window out (what was left). I was able to beat the passenger door back enough that it doesn't look too bad. Front seats look salvageable, although I'll probably end up with seat covers. Rears are being ditched - thinking about a custom subwolfer enclosure in thier place.

I also pulled the spoiler of the hatch, and it looks like it won't be too hard to swap one from a non-vr4 car. You still have that one in the yard? You guys ever trade for other parts?

So far my list of interior/exterior needs are:

-rear hatch
-passenger side rear 1/4 window
-carpet
-seat covers

Hope to get to work on the motor stuff this week and into the weekend.
240drift
Making some progress can't wait to see shamou back on the road.

-Ryan
The Iron Goat
If you're looking to pursue that custom subwoofer idea, I know just the guy to help you out with that. Best of luck with the project & getting that fat slut moving again. Let me know if I can lend a hand when I get back into town.
SCCA Stang
QUOTE (The Iron Goat @ Sep 12 2005, 03:19 PM)
If you're looking to pursue that custom subwoofer idea, I know just the guy to help you out with that.  Best of luck with the project & getting that fat slut moving again.  Let me know if I can lend a hand when I get back into town.

who does custome subwoofer enclosures??? share with the family!!!
NOMIEZVR4
keep us updated. smile.gif Pictures wont hurt either..wink.gif

Just some food for thought... wink.gif

92 VR-4

60' - 1.703
1/8 - 7.666
MPH - 90.16
1/4 - 11.893
MPH - 118.04 <-----DAMN!!

the mods you ask??

STOCK downpipe
STOCK exhaust
STOCK clutch
FULL weight

13t's + robs work .................$838
Z06 MAFT...........................$250
550cc................................$295
Hotwired Walbro...................$100
MBC....................................$20
Gutted pre-cats & testpipe....Free

GRAND TOTAL..........................~$1300

this was done with 3 gallons of 112 octane with a rich tune(.96v@WOT)

sound interesting? It will be a lot easier to swap turbos while the motor is out..wink.gif

Nomie
AWD DSM 1
Yes it does Dan.... tongue.gif

Got the Transfercase out last night. Not used to having to look at things before I start taking them apart. I know the DSM's so well, I don't have to think anymore. This is kind of a nice challenge! biggthumpup.gif
NOMIEZVR4
this is a 91 correct? wouldn't it be a good idea to upgrade from the 18 spline tc to the 25? Its a worthwhile investment.

Nomie
AWD DSM 1
It is a 91. Didn't know there was two different tcases... please, tell me more!
NOMIEZVR4
Well, I am no expert but I will tell you what I know...smile.gif

Just like the DSM's, the tc's in the early cars were different. 90 AWD DSM's had 22 spline tc's as opposed to 91+, they had 23. Similarly, 91-92 VR-4's came with an output shaft with an 18 spline count. In 93 the spline count changed to 25. The 25 spline tc's are generally considered to be better because they dont snap as often and have less chances of being 'worn out'.

There have been instances of stock VR-4-RT/TT's snapping or wearing out 18 spline shafts. blink.gif There is help though, you can either upgrade to a stock 25 spline os or you can buy a hardned 25 spline or you can buy the 300m os, which has yet to be broken, if I can recall correctly. Both the hardned 25 spline and the 300m are sold by kormex, they do the majority of the work with 3/S trannies. You should be able to find a stock 25 spline on your own..smile.gif

Also, the 91-92 VR-4's came with 2 bolt main's, 93+ came with 4 bolt main's meaning there are 4 main bolts on the crank girdle instead of 2. Though there are no proven advantages to having the 4 bolt main as of yet... Just thought I would let you know.. biggthumpup.gif

Im a 3si whore. Im on the forums about 4 hours a day, if you ever need any help or assistance, holla! biggrin.gif Although Im no expert, I can and certainly will try to help you with any obstacles that lie in your path.

Hope this helps,
Nomie
AWD DSM 1
Sweet! biggthumpup.gif
NOMIEZVR4
spy you know your stuff! biggthumpup.gif

get some dsm 450's, dsm smic's and a walbro and turn up the boost on them 13g's!! laugh.gif
AWD DSM 1
Update -

Ran across a steal of a deal on E-bay that I couldn't pass up. Made a roadtrip today and brought home a 1992 stealth rt/tt parts car with a good hatch and carpet, along with a bunch of other useful or sellable parts. Already got the hatch swapped out, looks tons better. Too bad the 1/4 windows are different! sad.gif

One problem... the car came without a title. Anyone have experience getting a title for a car from out of state? unsure.gif It's just going to become a cube, but I know the scrapyard needs a title or junking certificate to take it.
akamiami
I've sent cars to the scrapper without a title. They'll do it, just call around.
AWD DSM 1
QUOTE (akamiami @ Sep 17 2005, 09:11 PM)
I've sent cars to the scrapper without a title. They'll do it, just call around.

Could you pm me the name of the place? I'm going to try putting it up for sale for a while, 3/s parts seems to be a whole different ballgame than DSM parts. These guys will buy anything it seems!
MidwestDSM
QUOTE (AWD DSM 1 @ Sep 17 2005, 08:52 PM)
It's just going to become a cube, but I know the scrapyard needs a title or junking certificate to take it.

if you find the right place, and its a "donation", or really cheap, they don't really care about a title. I know of two yards in Danville that have cubed cars without one and without questions, I find it hard to believe this neck of the woods would be any different. Might try PMing turbohcar?
AWD DSM 1
Time for another update...

Although not much progress has been made on the vr4, the stealth is now out of my hands. Grandfather-in-law is an old time scrap hauler, I let him take care of things! One car, one title... wink.gif I should have taken some pics after I was done with this one... it was truely a masterpiece. There was probably only about 10 bolts left on the car... biggrin.gif

With the stealth chassis gone, I was able to clean up the garage to the point I could get to the vr4 to work on it again, look for some major progress to be made in the coming weeks! biggthumpup.gif
natedogg
Good to hear, Rob. I'm looking forward to seeing Shamou on the streets again.
AWD DSM 1
Motor is out... what a PITA! I will never bitch about working on a DSM again. I've never seen (or not seen) so many blind bolts in my life! Starting to wonder what I got myself into! wacko.gif

Deconstruction is 95% complete, time to start putting things back together. biggthumpup.gif
240drift
what rob you can say put back together... isn't against ur moral code or something? This is like new found territory tongue.gif
AWD DSM 1
Actually, I've been putting more together lately than I've been tearing apart.
AWD DSM 1
Wow, almost a full year ago... my how things have come full circle.
Turbo Tension
I thought you just got this car?
AWD DSM 1
just got it back, yes.... originally bought it from spy when this thread was started, then sold it, now it's back in the garage again... not offically mine yet though.
Turbo Tension
oh
turbohcar
QUOTE (AWD DSM 1 @ Sep 16 2006, 09:02 AM)
just got it back, yes.... originally bought it from spy when this thread was started, then sold it, now it's back in the garage again... not offically mine yet though.

rolleyes.gif
AWD DSM 1
QUOTE (turbohcar @ Sep 16 2006, 12:26 PM)
just got it back, yes....  originally bought it from spy when this thread was started, then sold it, now it's back in the garage again...  not offically mine yet though.

rolleyes.gif

shut up you domestic terd! tongue.gif
Zmann42087
just got it back, yes....  originally bought it from spy when this thread was started, then sold it, now it's back in the garage again...  not offically mine yet though.

whoo... complicated. happy.gif Who has owned Shamou for the past year?
NOMIEZVR4
Whats the update on the car? How far has it come?
AWD DSM 1
Motor and tranny are in, just working on hooking up the wiring harness, turbos, and intercooler piping.
black92_tsi_awd
You have 3 weeks...the clock is ticking! tongue.gif
AWD DSM 1
the way I look at it, that's three weeks for you to break. biggthumpup.gif
black92_tsi_awd
ouch... ohmy.gif

I'm racing the Friday before Vic Day, if that makes you feel better.
Of course that's more tuning time, and low 12's! ph34r.gif
AWD DSM 1
Well, it looks like this thread may come back alive... Talon is supposed to be leaving Saturday....
ncgalant
You crazy bastard!

BTW, do those have EPROM ECUs?
black92_tsi_awd
EPROM ECUs??? Does someone have one for sale?
AWD DSM 1
QUOTE (ncgalant @ Sep 21 2006, 03:09 PM)
You crazy bastard!

BTW, do those have EPROM ECUs?

Don't know... I'll find out though!!

I kept a few goodies off the talon that should help the whale step up the pace a little.
mitsu90
glad to see her come home biggthumpup.gif
AWD DSM 1
Shamou will return....
JBone
So that was the resonating whale cry I heard this morining... 200 miles away
AWD DSM 1
Well, it's official, shamou is mine again.... let the games begin. wacko.gif
mitsu90
oh it's on now ph34r.gif VR4 vs VR4
turbohcar
Will she be ready for Vicary Day, that is the question!

Domestic Whale vs. Import Whale

It's the main event! Two heavyweight contenders up for the title, who will win? Nobody knows!

Two weeks and counting Rob!
AWD DSM 1
gonna be pushing it.... if not, we might have to have a get together out at my place and find some backroads to play on. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.