Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1997 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 5-speed modded
DSMCentral > Classifieds > Cars-FS
BudmannG
Hey Guys, I am posting this for a friend from STL. Take a look this is a very CLEAN car.

Finally the car is almost done and ready to sell. Speed and Sound is just wrapping up a few loose ends and it will be good to go. Before the car had the headgasket redone it put down 335whp without the sheetmetal intake. The car has never had a full dyno tune since the addition of the sheetmetal inake although it did run 12.7@109mph on pump gas untuned. I am the second owner of this car. The car was great to me and I had a lot of fun with it. The only reason it is for sale is because I now have the EVO and need to move on. This car was babied.... The oil was always changed every 2000 miles. If you have any questions I'll answer them. I realize some of you might not care for the price but there is a lot of time and money invested in this car and I do feel it is worth it. I am also open to offers.

Pictures can be seen at:
http://www.siimports.com/nightmare/talon-frontb.jpg
http://www.siimports.com/nightmare/enginebay.jpg

Year: 1997
Make: Eagle
Model: Talon AWD 5-speed.
Mileage: 129,000
Price: 11,000 OBO

Recent work:
Tranny work done by Speed Design to refresh the transmission.
Cometic Head Gasket
ARP Head Studs
Head completely refreshed.
Drivers side axle replaced with one from Raxles.com

Engine Mods
HKS 264/272 Cams

Safety
Scroth Autocontrol 3-point harness
THReespeed Scattershield

Gauges/Electronics/controller
Apexi Rev-speed meter
Autometer Pro-comp boost gauge
Autometer Pro-comp EGT gauge
Apexi SAFC (black)
TurboXS boost controller

Turbocharger
Hahn Racecraft Super 20G turbo and portmatched exhaust manifold

Intake
Magnus Sheet Metal Intake
1G throttlebody
K&N air filter with injen intake pipe
Apexi Front Mount Intercooler
Dejon Tool Upper Intercooler Pipe (soon to be speed design pipe)
HKS Super Sequential blow off valve (vented but I have the recirculation fitting)

Exhaust
Roadrace 3" downpipe
Lowry Test Pipe
RS*R 3" catback exhaust

Fuel/Ignition System
Fuel Injector Clinic 650cc injectors
Walbro 255HP fuel pump
NGK plug wires
NGK plugs

Cooling System
Fluidyne Radiator
Flex-A-Lite Slim Fans

Wheels/Suspension
Enkie RP2 Wheels
Falken Azenis tires
Eibach Pro Springs
GAB 4-way struts
APR strut bar
Neuspeed control arm bar
RMDSM Sway bars
AEM Big Brake rotor upgrade
Stainless Brake lines
EBC Green Stuff pads

Drivetrain
Speed Design Clutch w/2900 pressure plate (feels stock though)
Stainless clutch line
XACT Chomoly Flywheel
Speed Design 4-spider center diff.

Misc.
Chrome valve cover
Momo Steering wheel
Momo Shift Knob
Front Camber Kit (not installed)
Energy Suspension Bushing kit (not installed)

Factory Extras left over
Factory downpipe
Factory cat converter
Factory Intake manifold
Factory throttle body
Factory Charchol canister with lines
Factory Steering Wheel
NEW OEM fender insert

If your interested this is his email dsmadmin@charter.net his name is Mike.
JMoushon
Sounds nice. Too bad it's still a 7-bolt.
DSMNightmare
Hey, thanks for posting this up for me smile.gif.

Just to address the "7-bolt" comment.

1. There is nothing wrong with a 7 bolt. Especially now with the fact that Speed Design offers a proven crankwalk fix.

2. The car has no problems making horsepower and has pretty decent times at the track especially considering that it has not been dyno tuned.

This car has plenty of room for growth be it a built 7 bolt or a 6 bolt swap.
black92_tsi_awd
DSMNightmare
What's the proven fix? I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything.
DSMNightmare
Speed Design is the shop that made one of the original 4-spider diffs for the DSM. They are located in Godfrey IL just outside of St Louis Mo and have been working on DSMs forever. They have developed a fix for crankwalk that has been proven. They have cars on the road that have had the fix on there for many many miles with no issues.

Now I know what the next question is going to be. No I do not know what the "fix" is. It is a process that only Jeff and Mark at speed design know. Honestly if they told everyone how to do it then they would give away thier business. I'm not a mechanic but I think it has to do with a machining process and a new type of bearing. The only thing that really needs to be said is that they stand behind thier work and they are upstanding guys who have given back to the DSM community longer than most DSM'ers have been driving.

If you really want to know more the best bet would be to call Jeff at Speed Design (618 467 3252) and ask him. He is a really cool guy and very helpful.
DSMNightmare
This procedure is brand new unlike the old crankwalk fixes that were more band-aids than anything. Jeff, Mark, and Speed Design is well known among the hardcore DSM community. The reason it doesn't spread like wildfire is simple. It's a new process and with anything new there are people who are skeptical or afraid of change. I remember just a few years ago there were people saying it was impossible to put an 2G A/T on a 6 bolt or a 7 bolt head on a 6 bolt block but now there are proven meathods to both of these.

I've been around DSMs for the better part of 5 years and I would have to say Speed Designs quality is top notch. Jeff and Mark are not just mechanics but they are both professional machinists with thier own machine shop. If I'm not mistaken they are at least 2nd generation machinists as well. They have a lot of experience and knowlege backing them up in thier claims both with DSMs and in the Machining industry altogether.
black92_tsi_awd
They should advertise their fix on their internet site. I'm sure alot of 7 bolt owners would be beating down their doors....

And I'm sure you're discover their quite a few "hardcore" dsm owners on this board!
DSMNightmare
No, there was no insult intended by the "hardcore" comment. I guess a better term would have been "old school". These guys have been around forever and have done work with many of the pro DSM'ers out there. Thier 4-spider diffs are the ones that are used in the TRE transmissions. Please don't take offense to anything I say it's not intended as an insult.
awdnot2
Jeff explained to me years ago about the fix the have for crankwalk. It does work.
I did some testing on their prototype 4 spider back in the day. It performed flawlessly. I've taken it for granted that most people knew there was a fix for it.
DSMNightmare
No, as one friend told me... if it aint broke don't fix it.
mark95turbo
QUOTE (DSMNightmare @ Nov 22 2005, 06:41 PM)
No, as one friend told me... if it aint broke don't fix it.

Or in the case of a DSM, if it aint broke, break it then replace it with a better part. wink.gif
turbohcar
Good Gawd Mark I haven't seen you here in ages!!!! You really need to get back into one of these cars!
scorp28
I remember reading something about this fix about 3 years ago when I joined and started learning about my 7 bolt. I have also read that you can get "matching bearings" from mitsu that are supposed to cure the problem if you know when your crank was made.

Which brings me to the question of the 4G63t in the Evo. I assume it is a 7 bolt and I have never heard of any problem with those. If this is true and I am not just TOOMA then one would be led to assume that Mitsu did come up with a fix a few years ago.
natedogg
The current Evo 4g63 is a 7 bolt, but from what I hear from the 'genius's' at evolutionm.net, it is a different casting than the late 90's 7-bolt found in 2g's.
DSMNightmare
By 99 crankwalk had pretty much been worked out. Had to do with a redesign of the bearing and/or casting. It's been so long since I discussed it but I think someone said they went to a 3 piece bearing. The shops I spoke with had never seen a 99 with crankwalk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.