Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Giddyup Goat
DSMCentral > Forum > Project Threads
Pages: 1, 2
The Iron Goat
Fate has brought into my possession none other than the infamous Spy Rocket. It's awesome that I'm getting back into the scene with a hard-hitting AWD. Mods will be slim to none for quite a while due to financial issues and the fact that the car is pretty damn sweet as she sits. Just have to get that heater fan going. blink.gif
mitsu90
good to hear biggthumpup.gif I have 2 new AWD's that can't wait till summer. they want to play with the goats new ride. ph34r.gif
BudmannG
I'm glad to see you finally got a car to put all those parts on, LOL. Hope to see you on the track.
The Iron Goat
I doubt you'll see me at the track.... you'll get a good gander at my taillights, though. laugh.gif blink.gif
mitsu90
HAHAHAHAHA........bring it goat boy. tongue.gif
BudmannG
^^^ROFLMAO^^^

Probly so Goat, Probly so.
turbohcar
I'm having similar issues Goat. Make sure your blower motor is getting power first.
The Iron Goat
The fan speed control relay is definitely getting power because I can hear it clicking when I go to high. I'm either loosing power from the relay to the fan, or the fan is siezed up for some reason (cold, rust, mouse nest). Or, maybe the fan crapped out. I'll fix 'er. And then the heads will roll. ohmy.gif
AWD DSM 1
Make sure little critters haven't made a home in there for the winter... had that happen once to me.
mitsu90
QUOTE (AWD DSM 1 @ Dec 10 2005, 08:56 AM)
Make sure little critters haven't made a home in there for the winter... had that happen once to me.

we had that happen to an old firebird formula some mice made a nest inside the headders, man did they have a bad moving day. laugh.gif
natedogg
Congrats on the new ride, Goat! I have some parts with your name on them. I'll be putting up a for sale thread before too long.
mitsu90
QUOTE (The Iron Goat @ Dec 10 2005, 08:55 AM)
I'll fix 'er.  And then the heads will roll.  ohmy.gif

I ain't affraid of no goat. tongue.gif
The Iron Goat
You know, it's really sad to see that you spent so much time and effort making a pretty little sign, when I'm still going to put you over my knee and spank you like a kid in K-Mart. And not in a good way, either.

You see, there's a certain E3 16G that will be coming back into my posession soon. Then where you gonna run? It doesn't really matter; I'll get there at least 2.3 seconds before you do. ohmy.gif
mitsu90
laugh.gif I didn't make the sigh I found it online. tongue.gif

an EVO3 16g nice. but not enough to make me run and hide.

get her running good goat next summer is going to be a blast. biggthumpup.gif
The Iron Goat
Got the heater fan working again. After pulling out a basketball-sized hedgehog nest from the heater fan and cleaning it up, it works like a dream. Now I have to clean up the rest of the ducting to get that "scent-o-death" out of there. Dan, looks like we've got the same battle to fight. wink.gif
AWD DSM 1
Nice....
natedogg
QUOTE (The Iron Goat @ Dec 13 2005, 11:30 AM)
Got the heater fan working again. After pulling out a basketball-sized hedgehog nest from the heater fan and cleaning it up, it works like a dream. Now I have to clean up the rest of the ducting to get that "scent-o-death" out of there. Dan, looks like we've got the same battle to fight. wink.gif

Hmmm...where's Dan pulling the hedgehog nest with the scent-o-death from?
The Iron Goat
Sooooo....... any chance of me getting my thread back? tongue.gif
Nate, Dan's 94slow is the vehicle with BO problems.
turbohcar
QUOTE (natedogg @ Dec 14 2005, 08:12 AM)
Good thing some of us are willing to experiment, create some of our own parts and systems, and do our own wrenching and tuning.  IMO, this is the true definition of a real car guy.

Spoken like a true wise man Nate. biggthumpup.gif

BTW Goat, I'm going to want a piece of this so called "racecar" this spring. I should have something fo yer pooper!
natedogg
I have split topics, please move the modding cars discussion to the topic titled "Image's rant" This is Goat's thread and I'm giving it back to him, we shouldn't be whoring it.

Turbohcar, I will attempt to move your post to the other thread.
The Iron Goat
Brett, you're welcome to get yo ass spanked. Just hop in line behind my wife, Dan's wife, and Dan, and I'll serve up some steamy sweaty-palmed beatings for all of ya's. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some mouse poop to clean....

And thank you, Nate, for realizing that it's ME and NOT my thread that should be whored out.
turbohcar
Sounds good to me! I like mine hard and with an open palm. Sometimes the g/f likes to use a paddle on me ph34r.gif

Ok now we're getting off topic. Goat, consider the Goat Rocket owned where it stands!
The Iron Goat
Got the front seats, console, carpeting and some other odds and ends pulled out today. The carpeting won't be going back in. Neither will most of the console. Anyone have a steering wheel puller or a trick with a regular 3-arm puller to get the wheel off? I know I've done it before, but this little thing won't budge!

And Brett, that's the Goater Sled to you. AKA paddle on wheels.
turbohcar
You're going to miss the carpeting. I know after having mine out for this long with nothing there, it's bugging the heck out of me. I permanently took out my back seats so I'm going to find someone to do one big sheet of custom carpet that goes from the firewall to the hatch. It'll be expensive, but I think it'll be worth it to have some form of covering on the floor.
The Iron Goat
Carpeting will not be missed. I drive a nice, quiet, leather-clad beauty to work every day. This little treat is only for terrorizing school childeren and retirement homes. Anti-skid in the floor pans and new paint inside will make it asthetically appealing again.
turbohcar
Well I drive a.......... I drive a Cavalier every day so there!! The Talon sits in the garage like a good little firebreathing beast until the day nice weather hits. That's the day you need to be scared Goatey.
AWD DSM 1
QUOTE (The Iron Goat @ Dec 14 2005, 05:14 PM)
Anyone have a steering wheel puller or a trick with a regular 3-arm puller to get the wheel off? I know I've done it before, but this little thing won't budge!

lossen the nut, but don't take it completely off... start jerking on the steering wheel. If you take the nut clear off, have an ice pack close by for when you smack yourself in the head. This is how I've gotten all the ones I've ever had to remove off..

god that sounds funny... jerk, nut, smack, get off.... laugh.gif laugh.gif
The Iron Goat
HAHAHA! You sick, dirty old man! I ended up getting the wheel off last night. I tried the puller again. The manual should specify that you need to apply about 30x the amount of pressure needed to break the bolt, wrench and everything else involved before the wheel breaks loose. tongue.gif Don't you love that when you've got about 15 good, hard turns on the puller, and nothing's happened and then...... BAM!!! ohmy.gif Joe pooped his pants.
turbohcar
QUOTE (The Iron Goat @ Dec 15 2005, 10:31 AM)
ohmy.gif Joe pooped his pants.

ROFLMAO, I can soooo picture you doing that too. Creek....creek......creek......BAM! Awww crap, honey get me some clean underwear would ya?
AWD DSM 1
QUOTE (The Iron Goat @ Dec 15 2005, 10:31 AM)
HAHAHA! You sick, dirty old man! I ended up getting the wheel off last night. I tried the puller again. The manual should specify that you need to apply about 30x the amount of pressure needed to break the bolt, wrench and everything else involved before the wheel breaks loose. tongue.gif Don't you love that when you've got about 15 good, hard turns on the puller, and nothing's happened and then...... BAM!!! ohmy.gif Joe pooped his pants.

Who you calling old?

I think your just a wuss for having to use a puller... should have got your wife to to it for you! ph34r.gif
The Iron Goat
QUOTE (AWD DSM 1 @ Dec 15 2005, 10:47 AM)
I think your just a wuss for having to use a puller... should have got your wife to to it for you! ph34r.gif

Impossible. Wife was unconscious due to the burning of dinner.
The Iron Goat
I have looked fear in the eyes.

It has changed me forever.

It's Name? My heater blower housing. Mother of God. I sucked the mouse nest out sometime last week I believe, but decided to go ahead and rip all the ducting and such out for a thourough cleaning. That housing was the most foul thing I've yet to encounter during my small span of years on this earth. The sight wasn't so bad..... but the smell!!! Holy dead rotten coochie, Batman!!! Nothing else I'v smelled can compare to this. I almost threw up about four times.

But the beast hath been slain. And bleached. All will be well within the kingdom soon.
BudmannG
Hey goat if the smell stays with ya. I got an A/C complete duckting for cheap, just to get it out of my garage. And mine don't smell dead! ph34r.gif
biggthumpup.gif
xian 1g
nice to hear goat... so, the heater core and shit will work?

send me a pm with your addy... is that you with the 309 that i missed phone call from?
The Iron Goat
Yup, everything was in working order. Just covered in mouse poopie.
The Iron Goat
Came across this Fidanza flywheel on Ebay for cheap. I think it's legitimate, and since they're claiming the Fidanza name, it's hard to believe that it's a knock-off, but I know anything is possible. If you fine folks think it's genuine, I'm picking it up.
AWD DSM 1
Wow... looks like the real thing to me.
99Spyder
If you search the completed items on ebay you will find that is not an uncommon price. I would say you are pretty safe. I even saw one that had a buy it now of 169.99.
The Iron Goat
That's all good to hear. It's just so much cheaper than most of the performance shops I browse, that I was skeptical. Buying it........ now. biggthumpup.gif
The Iron Goat
Things are progressing, but slower than I would have hoped. This project is now requiring a certain type of dedication. But what defines dedication? Wrenching on the car while you're all doped up on codine? I'd say so. Items once needed are now in my possesion; the stars are aligning, and so are my wheels.
AWD DSM 1
QUOTE (The Iron Goat @ May 18 2006, 09:40 AM)
Wrenching on the car while you're all doped up on codine? I'd say so.

Are you sure that's such a great idea? laugh.gif
AWD DSM 1
QUOTE (spyonu2007 @ May 18 2006, 10:36 AM)
gettin worried rob? The got's gonna getcha!

I'd be more worried if you could spell... laugh.gif
SCCA Stang
QUOTE (turbohcar @ Dec 15 2005, 09:31 AM)
Well I drive a.......... I drive a Cavalier every day so there!! The Talon sits in the garage like a good little firebreathing beast until the day nice weather hits. That's the day you need to be scared Goatey.

hey, that sounds like me
The Iron Goat
Can anyone give me the settings for a MAFT v1.3 running 550s? Just the flat, baseline settings that you start from, nothing specific. Also, I know what each knob controls, but if someone could tell me which direction is lean, rich and so on, that would be helpful. I seem to have lost my instruction manual. Thanks.
BudmannG
If I remember right counter clock wise is lean and clock wise is rich.
The Iron Goat
Nevermind, I found the manual online finally! Thanks anyways.
awd4kicks
How's it running Goat?
The Iron Goat
It's not. Multiple problems springing up all over the place. Wheels falling off, exhaust coming apart in the middle of the street, you know, that sort of stuff. mad.gif
black92_tsi_awd
I take it you finally got that trans bolt holed helicoiled?

Better get her running good...I need someone to run on SCDC day... cool.gif
The Iron Goat
Well, I suppose it's time to officially announce it: Goat's Bane is back on the streets! Not in the shape I'd prefer, but I need to get some fun out of this car to maintain my motivation for working on it. I've been correcting boost leaks as they've been found, replacing worn bolts, and generally taking it easy while I find out what needs to be tweeked.

I ended up tapping the tranny for a 1/2" coarse thread bolt 1 1/2" long. Holds mighty fine. The main problems I need to correct right now are tuning, replacing the o-ring on the biss, and replacing orings, nut and lockwasher on the power steering pump (it leaks a bit under hard turning). It also feels like the tie rods are out of whack (steering jumps a bit when you hit a pothole), so it could use an alignment or whatever else you guys might know for a cheap home-job alignment.

But in light of Kicks GETTING kicked in the yam sack by the DSM gods yet again, things are going really well for me. I won't make SCDC, but that was never a goal of mine, so no loss there. I'll keep reports coming in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.