Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Autobahn gas-mileage-friendly cruiser
DSMCentral > Classifieds > Cars-FS
Kazz5
I'm taking a new job that will have me commuting to/fro B/N from Peoria. The thought of garaging the Evo and driving something more economical has come up around the dinner table.

Originally the wife wanted a Miata because she's ALWAYS wanted one. The one I found is a bit pricey and seems rough in my estimation. They only get 28MPG on the highway but that's improvement enough. After she drove it she wasn't happy with the "twitchiness" of the front end (alignment or damage in my book - I don't mind it unless it IS damage). Basically it was something she could tool around in on the weekend with the top down like she's always wanted to. It also had her worried about safety in case of a crash. rolleyes.gif

Looking at anything 11K or less. Something with t-tops/convertible would be ultra cool but dependable, safe highway transport is the issue.

I found a Supra and an MR2 that are interesting and she's now said that if I don't get a Miata she doesn't care what it is. I suppose the Supra won't get me any better gas mileage, eh? biggrin.gif

Dependable, high-20's MPG on the highway, and POS's need not apply. I'd like a clean vehicle relatively rust-free in and out. Two-doors and removable tops preferred ...

Anybody?

Thanks!
turbohcar
I would have to suggest a Chrysler Sebring convertible. Good cars, sporty, and fun for the wife. I had a coupe and the girlfriend desperately misses it. The 2.5L v6 engine in mine yielded about 30mpg when I was driving 100miles a day last year. Handling is similar to an overweight Eclipse (they share the same suspension) and as long as you keep the maintenance up, they'll treat you right.
akamiami
I did the bn commute in my evo for a few months and didn't find it bad at all. You want a commute...you should try naperville to the loop. F-ing craziness!

If you can't hit high 20's gas mileage wise on your evo something is wrong with the tune. I'm getting about 26 city/highway in my evo now with 272's and a wicked bad cam offset -4/-1.5 and I haven't even started to play around with fuel resolution or ignition mapping yet.... I was shooting for low 30's highway once I'm all set.

But if you're dead set on getting another car I'd look at a IX smile.gif
Booztd 3
just out of curiosity, what would be your working times? I commute to Peoria everyday from bloomington, it would be nice as hell to get a carpool thing going.......

Interested?

I typically work 7:30/8-4ish
240drift
MR2! MR2! MR2!

though if you have any questions on it I know some not all so hit me up with any questionsif need be!

(also hit me up with which one.. i have pry seen it haha)
kapoosh
how about like a 2000 eclipse convertable (or is that just too much of a girls car smile.gif )
Kazz5
Sebring - I'm not very interested in the domestic Chrysler efforts, bad taste in my mouth. This option would take some convincing...

Evo IX - no thanks, I'm eyeing the X as the next true upgrade. biggrin.gif

Car pool - my times may vary due to coverage of equipment/issues but otherwise 8-5 I think ... will know more later.

MR2 - ??? talk to me, I'm listening.

2K Eclipse - that's the 3g, yes? I'd not be caught dead in one, sorry ... *Laugh* ... ribbed for her pleasure ...
rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.