Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autobahn Track Day
DSMCentral > Forum > Events
akamiami
http://www.lotuscarclub.org/trackday.htm

In addition to the fantastic deal that this event already is, I'm willing to offer my house as a place to crash the night before (I live approx. 20 min from the track) provided all entrants agree to _not_ engage in gay sex in the showers. The rest of the bathroom is fine and any locations in prominent view of the windows are actually encouraged, but for the sake of hygeine, not the showers, boys.

Guys, this is a hell of an opportunity here, so I'm not going to elaborate too much as I don't think it's necessary. It is quite possible that you will never get the chance to run on a track with a legendary name in motorsports like Akamiami piloting the one and only aNAlUBé, so don't miss out, because I may go pro and won't have time for amateurs in the near future.
scrapin_frame
wow that course is pretty big... i guess if i have some decent stickies by then, i will go
turbohcar
When?

I assume other cars than Lotus' can participate?

I'm not interested in running my car, but it would be fun to watch. LMK, I may be able to make it.
akamiami
April 5th. Monday. Inspection is the sunday night before.

Other cars than lotus can run. see the technical spec sheet for inspection requirements, it's not too bad.

The one weird thing is that you need to have a SA2000 helmet which is NOT a motorcycle helmet. The guy explains why on the evolutionm.net thread he made. it's because of fire safety. I looked into it though and those helmets can be had for 150 and always worn after the track day to either relive past moments of glory or for weird sexual fantasies involving whatever your sick imaginations can come up with.
turbohcar
Summit shows them for $250. Where are you getting the $150 figure? I need a new helmet myself..... only for the fantasies though, but I'd like one that was SA2000 to look good for the track officials as well.
Kazz5
Holy shit ...

... but from what I'm reading it's June 5th? and they take SA95s??? Am I a moron who can't read, can't click, or all the above?

Nice catch, miami!
haunter
QUOTE (Kazz5 @ Jan 26 2006, 11:21 AM)
Holy shit ...

... but from what I'm reading it's June 5th? and they take SA95s??? Am I a moron who can't read, can't click, or all the above?

Nice catch, miami!

I see the June date as well
Kazz5
OK, and now my second thoughts - she's a huge track. Better have tires, brakes, suspension, cooling, and gas enough ...
JBone
QUOTE (akamiami @ Jan 26 2006, 10:40 AM)
...those helmets can be had for 150 and always worn after the track day to either relive past moments of glory or for weird sexual fantasies involving whatever your sick imaginations can come up with.

I am The STIG!!!! ph34r.gif
akamiami
yeah, I don't know why I said april 5th. It's June so that gives plenty of time.

I just did a froogle.com search for SA2000, but as Kazz pointed out, if you have a SA95 that will work now, I was just going to buy a SA2000 new as the SA95's won't be allowed in coming years.
AWD DSM 1
They have sa2005 out now also.... found an open face one on e-bay new for $150.
eclipgst
Fujuckin Sweet not only will i be involved in all of the weird sex shit but next day i will be running my car next to one of the best drivers in the biz (Akamaimi) Holy shit someone get me a towel i think i just creamed my pants! Count me in stud!
akamiami
sign up now guys. this thing is filling up quickly! $240 secures your position and I'm going already regardless of who joins in the fun.
akamiami
Just faxed my information sheet to the event organizer. Let me know when you guys are confirmed as well, those of you who are interested and who is planning on staying at my place for the event.

According to Pfeffer (head lotus guy) the event is already over 1/2 full, so don't procrastinate!
awd4kicks
I would love to run this track, but I can almost guarantee that my car will not be running up to snuf for a large track like that in time. I may jut have to come watch.
akamiami
they're now offering a catered lunch at the track with the deal. ...complimentary instructors for newbies too.... I understand if you're holding out for road head, but besides that, there's not much reason to not attend.

as far as not having a car, just whore out another saturn redline as a 'sponsor car'. you're a factory driver marcus!
JBone
QUOTE (akamiami @ Jan 28 2006, 10:55 PM)
as far as not having a car, just whore out another saturn redline as a 'sponsor car'. you're a factory driver marcus!

Screw that. You can try and test a Saturn Sky!!!! Prove to everybody "Zoom who?"

Or you can con... I mean trick... I mean get your dad to drive or let you drive the Miata
Kazz5
My issue is it's a work day and, having just changed employers and some vacation time already scheduled, getting the day off is next to impossible.

... but trust me, I'm workin' on it.
awd4kicks
Can some one verify the actual date for this event? The difference between April and June is a huge deciding factor in whether I can make it or not. This is also assuming the registration is not already full.

Marcus
akamiami
it's defianately june. I probably wouldn't have been able to do april either.
BudmannG
QUOTE (akamiami @ Jan 31 2006, 11:38 PM)
it's defianately june. I probably wouldn't have been able to do april either.

I won't even be able to go watch sad.gif ! My daughters have a dance recital that weekend. I would like to know how everyone does though. biggthumpup.gif
Good luck guys and gods speed with you all!!!!
akamiami
Well, it's been a little over 24 hrs since I first ran my Evo at the track (aNAlUBé was unable to attend sad.gif ) and I'm still on edge.

I'm not sure how many of you have had an opportunity to run a car at an open road course track, but it's an experience that leaves an impression, for sure.

The course consisted of 21 turns extending over 3.5 miles. We ran the full course, not the abbreviated North section that was posted initially.

It was simply amazing. I've done two very limited autocrosses, and compared to this, it's like splashing in a plastic kiddie pool bought from the front of Wal-mart compared to deep-sea diving in the ocean.... with sharks.... at night. Don't get me wrong, there are definite skills and abilities that can be transitioned, but apexing a turn at 30mph doesn't really prepare a driver for diving into corners at 90+ and speeds topping 140 on the straights.

I could go on commenting about how great of an experience this was till my fingers are bloody, but suffice it to say that I ran all 5 novice sessions till my brakes were so faded I couldn't drive with confidence any longer, and I used an entire tank of fuel in the cumulative span of approximately 45 minutes. I got my money's worth to be sure, and I now know just how much more fun it is for me to road race a car than drag or autocross it.

I wish some of you had been there with me as there is no doubt that you would have a great time as well.
akamiami
honestly, the story is one of those things that's much better told in person.

I'm sure there are a few that may say something like, 'yeah, sounds like fun, wish I had been able to go' and still be thinking in the back of their minds something like, 'sure, it would have been fun, but if you add up the hassle of driving to Joliet, paying for all the expenses (gas, brakes, entry fee, tires, etc...) I didn't really miss much'. Well, you're WRONG! If the entry fee had been 500 and I'd have used an entire set of pads and tires on that single event, I'd still not even come close to feeling dissatisfied.

Let's be clear gentlemen. There were more vipers and Vettes (most of which were z06's, and yes, there were C6 Z06's in attendence) than I cared to count. There were many Lotus Elises, many S2K's, a single turbo Supra with a very cool owner who brought 2 sets of spare tires, a 150K+ Porsche GT3 Cup Car, multiple other porshes of various years and induction methods, several Lotus Esprit's, and a slew of other very well prepared track cars, of which my Evo was probably not even worth of note. These cars ran the track in 3 divisions based on driver experience, not the car's capabilities. So basically, I ran the track with some incredibly fit cars....at speed. If the rush of running a course as amazing as Autobahn doesn't quite do it for you, then perhaps passing some incredible machinery would, or even seeing some high dollar automobiles tailing your vehicle, holding them off, putting distance on them, and of course conceding defeat and waving them by when appropriate. June 5th was simply put, the pinnacle of my motorsports involvement to date, without question. Nothing else has come close.
Kazz5
bitch.
awd4kicks
Congrats Kris. I have always speculated that road racing would be the best, but I've never made the step to take action. I'm glad to see you were inspired to say the least. biggthumpup.gif
Kazz5
I'm just jealous as hell ... this vacation trashed my shot at Slo Pny day and this track event. Oh well, somebody decided it wasn't time for me just yet.

Sounds like a damn blast ... I'm damn happy for you - and that update on the car sounds great also.

Now get your ass down here again soon.
SCCA Stang
wow... I am sure that I would have enjoyed it to the fullest had two things gone right. a: the mutant wasn't sitting dormant with a smoked wheel bearing b: I had the $$$ to attend.

however I will experience a similar event on June 25th as I will be trailering my GSX to road america, WI to race it on a road coarse.... trailering it is only so that if it breaks there, I can still bring it home.

congrats on the experience.... hope I have as much fun on the 25th
akamiami
I'm sure you will Ben.

Here's some pics...

I forgot to mention that they allowed passengers so I was able to give one of my buddies a ride around the track several times. He's grabbing the OH-SHIT handle in the second pic obviously. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.