Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new project!
DSMCentral > Forum > Project Threads
TURBOWHT
So i have had my d50 for a daily driver all summer, and i just purchased this fwd turbo auto laser for 550 bucks. So im going to be swapping the motor and seats in the truck. After i get the motor in and running im going to start the mods. Here are some beginning pics that i took of both cars. just to kinda see what they looked like before. Ill keep updating as i get further and further.

awd4kicks
About ready to start the swap? smile.gif
TURBOWHT
well im having charging issues with the laser and will be less of a headache to get it fixed now then to swap it then have me mess up something else and wonder if it had to do if whatever is wrong with it now. *if that makes sense*
TURBOWHT
Well last night i worked on the motor getting the turbo and manifold off and taking everything off that i didnt need. still have alot to do to it before i get it ready to drop in. Like turn the turbo around on the manifold and make lines for it. and get the intake manifold welded up so the throttle body is on the opposite side. I started tearing apart the truck just a little bit ago. its going to be cheese. there is like nothing there. I have never taken out a rwd tranny so that will be an experience im sure. hopefully everything will go smooth like it has been.

awd4kicks
RWD transmission pulling is just as easy as the rest.

This truck ought to be a little bad a$$! biggthumpup.gif
black92_tsi_awd
Yeah, RWD trans pulling is a hell of a lot easier without having to mess with the damn axles.

Should be an interesting project! biggthumpup.gif

Keep the updates coming! You plan on dragging it when you're done? Or is it going to be just a DD?
NOMIEZVR4
What are you planning on doing with the FWD shell? I need some parts from it, if you are planning on parting it out.

You can reply to me at whatyameanbabe@yahoo.com

Thanks!
TURBOWHT
I think i might have the shell sold. if it falls threw i will let you know.

anyways I got the dsm seats in. they are 100 times more comfortable. you can actually recline the seat. Way better then the stock 1 piece seat.

Zmann42087
^^^ Looks good... nice work! biggthumpup.gif
awd4kicks
110% better already!

BTW - Where are you working on this? Is that garage heated? If not you are an inspiration to me! Gettin done no matter what...Good job man! biggthumpup.gif
TURBOWHT
Its a garage but its not a very well heated one. crappy heater. But its still alot better then being outside or a garage with no heat. I have to turn on the heater a couple hours before i go work out there. haha.
haunter
nice! its easiest to pull the tranny with the motor, its cake!
TURBOWHT
QUOTE (black92_tsi_awd @ Feb 5 2007, 06:43 PM)
Yeah, RWD trans pulling is a hell of a lot easier without having to mess with the damn axles.

Should be an interesting project! biggthumpup.gif

Keep the updates coming! You plan on dragging it when you're done? Or is it going to be just a DD?

Oh im going to race it. Im just curious whats going to give out first. i heard the tranny is weak but people have made 500 hp with them before they give out. so i guess we will see.

Im not really sure what im doing for tranny if this one takes a crap. but if the rear end goes out ill be going to a disc break 8.8 ford rear end. I think that will be plenty for what im going to be doing.
awd4kicks
Yeah, an 8.8 will handle damn near anything you'll be able to throw at it.
turbohcar
The 8.8in are off center though aren't they?
awd4kicks
No, the 8.8 housings may look off-center, but the axle shafts are exactly the same length. So everything should center up just fine under any vehicle you want to put one under. biggthumpup.gif
TURBOWHT
got the motor and tranny out last night. getting closer. just need to start fabbing up everything and get it ready to drop in. have to get the dsm fwd flywheel on the motor. the 2600 pressure plate with the d50 clutch disk. also have to get the intake manifold welded so the throttle body is on the other side. and spin the turbo around so the inlet is on the other side. then it will be ready to drop in.

black92_tsi_awd
I hope your going to at least give that engine compartment a bath!! biggrin.gif
TURBOWHT
oh for sure. IF it wasnt -2 billion degrees out here i would of already done it. there is still painball stuff where someone paintballed my truck before i pulled it in the garage.
haunter
nice work!
TURBOWHT
decided to clean the engine bay a little while im waiting to get my intake manifold welded and pick up my flywheel. which are the only 2 things im waiting on. to get it in the truck.

black92_tsi_awd
Looks a lot better!! biggthumpup.gif
awd4kicks
Good job man. I still can't haul my a$$ out to the garage...heater or not. happy.gif
TURBOWHT
haha i know im so pumped about this idk why. i want to get as much done now while im still excited about the swap. probably cause i want to get it running so i can start modding it. so what the thing will do. Still undecided on what turbo i want to run though. I liked my old 60 trim i had on my talon but idk what i want to do with this pickem up truck. haha
black92_tsi_awd
About how much does that truck weigh?
TURBOWHT
Im really not sure. i have tryed looking it up but i couldnt find it. maybe if someone is bored sometime they can try looking for it. IM guessing in the 2000 range. would be nice to know exactly what it is.
Zmann42087
I don't know what a "d50" is... give me the year, make, and model and I might be able find it.
TURBOWHT
1987 dodge ram50. 2.0L regular cab.
Zmann42087
Ahhh... no luck. I thought it might be on AllData but I didn't see it.
TURBOWHT
the motor is bolted in. time to work on the wiring.

Super16G
Nice progress biggthumpup.gif
TURBOWHT
Got some of the exhaust to work. So now ill be able to keep some heat off the oil lines till i get my other turbo on and get some ss lines. so i dont have to worry about them getting hot and melting.

TURBOWHT
Its still about the same place as teh stock lines so i should be fine.
TURBOWHT
Got the intake manifold on. and TB. Making i/c pipes is a pain. Im never even sure where im going to mount the ic. I wish i could find a cheap small thin front mount. oh well ill figure something out. havnt had much time to work on it with school but hopefully it will be done sometime soon.

mitsu90

something like this?
TURBOWHT
ya. why is it for sale? Do you know the measurements? i need to know for sure becuase the truck doesnt have that much room to work with. let me know im really interested.
mitsu90
it's the one off of my galant but for the right price I would let it go, want something more the size of an EVO FMIC

28.5(inlet/inlet)x7x3,
TURBOWHT
truck runs. 2 small grounds were off in the engine bay. Then i got the truck running. and wouldnt go in gear. after taking the motor in an out 3 times. I put the stock dsm pressure plate on and it worked. I guess teh 2600 is a heavy clutch made for a hydro tranny so the cable just wasnt having it i guess. But it shifts fine with the stock pressure plate on it.

So i took it around the block. wasnt building any boost. checked intercooler piping. nothing off. checked the turbo and it is completely seized. wonder why. it was fine before i put it in the car. Oh well guess ill have to upgrade and get a better feed. one that comes from the oil filter housing. Cause i dont want to do something to another turbo.
awd4kicks
Good deal on gettimg the truck running! biggthumpup.gif
TURBOWHT
Once i find a new turbo and getting it running better Ill get some vids of it up. think i might have to pull the head off soon. its leaking oil along the thermostat side. Think headgasket might of went. ill have to do a compression test tom. and see.
treydawgs4g63T
nice progress!

Now if we could only get asiankid to do the same to his?????????
asiankid91
haha i wish
TURBOWHT
You should it honestly wasnt that bad now that i think back on it. The worst part was trial and error. But if you do decide on doing it then let me know.
TURBOWHT

just a couple pics i took today. Going to be getting some vids sometime soon hopefully.
awd4kicks
Is that a Grant steering wheel? I have one of those in my basement that I bought like 10 years ago! laugh.gif

It's good to see the truck out and alive man. biggthumpup.gif
TURBOWHT
ya the steering wheel was on it when i got it. Guess the guy thought it was a must have or something. cut springs thing was a pos.

but ya hopefully ill start getting the little things fixed and get it running good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.