Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing Belt
DSMCentral > Forum > Tech Info
TSG59_Steve
I was wondering if anyone on here had the "special tool" for adjusting the tensioner on a 6bolt motor?

I am doing a 6bolt swap because my 7bolt spun a bearing and I have the 1g mount installed. So I have to take off the timing belt and install the 2g mount, along with the timing belt all over again. So if someone on here knows how to do it then maybe you could come help me out?

Thanks,
Steve
SCCA Stang
www.VFAQ.com probably has all of the information that you need to do the job.... not sure with a 6 bolt on a 7 bolt chassis..... as far as the tool... no my friend brought his over when we did mine.
TSG59_Steve
Yeah, I've read the vfaq over quite a few times and I feel comfortable with it, I just rather have someone there that actually knows what they are doing and have done it before, ya know? I don't have the tool though... do you think your friend could loan it to me?
awd4kicks
I have never had the luxury of using the timing tensioner tool and I'm sure it would make things easier. If worse comes to worse you can change the T-belt without the tensioner tool.

Are you changing the belt as routine maintenance? I'm not sure how it plays in with changing the top motor mount, unless it's just convenience.
natedogg
If I remember right the t-belt tensioner pulley mounts on the 1G engine mount, so that may require at least a re-tensioning.

I don't use a pre-tensioner either, just use a couple of shop towels and a pry bar to pre-tension the belt.
TSG59_Steve
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Apr 2 2007, 06:46 AM)
I have never had the luxury of using the timing tensioner tool and I'm sure it would make things easier.  If worse comes to worse you can change the T-belt without the tensioner tool.

Are you changing the belt as routine maintenance?  I'm not sure how it plays in with changing the top motor mount, unless it's just convenience.

I think the tensioner is attached to the mount... I don't think I can swap the mounts without taking the belt off.

Thanks,
Steve
awd4kicks
Ok,

Yes if you are changing the part of the upper motor mount that bolts to the block, then you will have to redo the T-belt. You are right. Even if the tensioner isn't attached to the mount, the idler pulley is and you play hell trying to get that part of the mount out with the belt on anyway.

About the mount. I am oblivious to the exact 2G differences, so this is why I am unsure of the need for change. The portion of the upper mount that bolts to the block appears to be the same on 1G and 2G engines when viewing the pictures on VFAQ. I know the part that bolts to the body is different. Is there any chance that you can leave the engine mount portion on the engine and just change the body mount end to the 2G style? Again, I understand this could be an ignorant question based on my lack of 2G experience, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case it would save you a LOT of time and hassle.
SCCA Stang
I doubt my friend would loan his tool out to anyone he doesn't know.... I can ask though. he lives in round lake IL (way far north even for my standards and I live in Aurora) so even aquiring the tool in central IL will be one hell of a task in it self... you are probably just better off to borrow one there or buy one.

I would come down and give you a hand, but I having helped with one don;t feel comfortable enough to do it with-out a better experienced hand.
TSG59_Steve
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Apr 2 2007, 10:52 AM)
Ok,

Yes if you are changing the part of the upper motor mount that bolts to the block, then you will have to redo the T-belt. You are right. Even if the tensioner isn't attached to the mount, the idler pulley is and you play hell trying to get that part of the mount out with the belt on anyway.

About the mount. I am oblivious to the exact 2G differences, so this is why I am unsure of the need for change. The portion of the upper mount that bolts to the block appears to be the same on 1G and 2G engines when viewing the pictures on VFAQ. I know the part that bolts to the body is different. Is there any chance that you can leave the engine mount portion on the engine and just change the body mount end to the 2G style? Again, I understand this could be an ignorant question based on my lack of 2G experience, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case it would save you a LOT of time and hassle.

There is a difference in the two mounts. The 1g has only two bolt holes while the 2g has 3, and in varying widths apart. I wish I could just modify a 1g motor mount and make it work, unfortunately I don't have one nor have I heard of anyone doing that. sad.gif oh well. I guess I'll just have to redo the belt. Shouldn't be too hard considering everything is still tdc. Thanks guys.
Zmann42087
I know AMS sells the tensioner... timing belt tensioner tool
TSG59_Steve
QUOTE (Zmann42087 @ Apr 2 2007, 08:18 PM)

Hey thanks a lot! I'm going to order one so if anyone ever needs to borrow it let me know.
Zmann42087
QUOTE (TSG59_Steve @ Apr 3 2007, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (Zmann42087 @ Apr 2 2007, 08:18 PM)

Hey thanks a lot! I'm going to order one so if anyone ever needs to borrow it let me know.

no problem. smile.gif
ncgalant
Could someone explain where that part goes and what it is for? I've done a half dozen timing belt replacements and never seen that tool/part.
treydawgs4g63T
i have also done a dozen timing jobs and never found it necesary to use a tensioner tool. And my cars are all still running!!!!!!
awd4kicks
The instructions on the VFAQ explain how an where to use it. The only person I seen use one was Kris144 and it actually seems to be very useful. If I remember right the tool will keep your tensioner at the same setting so when you replace the belt you don't have to go through the whole resetting proceedure. I could be wrong, but that's what I came away with after seeing Kris use his.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.