Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teal Terror
DSMCentral > Forum > Project Threads
wortdog
I figured I might as well start a project thread for my sequential twin turbo car, since I'm actually doing things to it nowadays.

The new motor is:

2.3 6-bolt stroker with Manley rods, Ross 9:1 pistons, and squirters deleted
Mitsu metal HG
Creebonics mildly ported head with 1mm oversized Ferrara valves, Si single springs and retainers
Crower 64415 cams (old version with wimpy exhaust cam, advertised as 292/288, more like a 280/268 in todays terms)
JMF race version SMIM
Q45 90mm throttle body
ugly 2G exman with 60mm wastegates welded on
twin sequential-parallel EVO3 16g's

Fuel system is:

850cc FIC injectors
Walbro 190 intank feeding a Bosch inline
hatchmounted Coolingmist methanol injection

Engine management:

Eprom ECU with Ostrich Eprom emulator and Tuner Pro RT
Innovate LM-1 wideband
MAF Translator Gen2 with wideband AFR tracking

Transmission/clutch:

Was stock with Spec stage 3.
Who knows what's next.

I'm looking for about 550-600whp with a powerband of 3k to 9k rpm. With the heavily cammed stroker motor, the Evo3 hits like a sledgehammer around 3100. I think with stock cams/intake manifold it'd spool a lot earlier, but 3100 is good enough. It's pretty quick even at 15psi.

The front fascia is just a rough cut now, I'm planning on fiberglassing, ducting, and smoothing everything out.

Unfortunately, the transmission wasn't too pleased with the newfound torque output:

I think this happened first.

And caused this from a lack of fluid.

I'm thinking I'll probably go with twin disk clutch and a transmission with an EVO 3 double synchro "close ratio" gearset in it. I doubt the Spec 3 would have held up for very long anyway.
wortdog
One last image:

Yes, that's both output shafts split in twain.
awd4kicks
I dig the two waste gates sticking out in front of the engine. Dude, you have got something very different there. Congratulations on all your hard work and it beginning to come together.

On a side note do you know where we can get the EVO 3 gear set. I want to rebuild my transmission with the same set.
Kazz5
MEAN!
wortdog
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Jun 2 2007, 04:57 AM)
On a side note do you know where we can get the EVO 3 gear set. I want to rebuild my transmission with the same set.

I believe www.jackstransmissions.com will sell just the parts you want, the EVO gears are about $200 a piece though. I think swapping to an EVO first gear may require some extra work, but I'm not 100% on that. I may just run stock 1,2, and 5 with EVO 3 and 4, which is basically what a Stage 4 Shep trans is.

Right now I'm eyeing Jack's premium rebuild with a pair of AN-8 fittings TIGged on for a tranny cooler.

For the clutch I'm thinking a Powertrain Technologies twin disk.
haunter
I can vouch for the turbo hitting like a hammer, the first time he hit it with me in teh car it literally took my breathe away it was so harsh!
awd4kicks
Thanks Eric, that's who I've been looking at as well. Besides machining a single synchro 2nd gear to a double, I don't think any special modifications are required to fit the EVO3 gears in. And if you already have a double synchro second, your golden.

I bet the Teal Terror will be a monster on the auto-cross and road corse with that kind of quick hitting boost! biggthumpup.gif
Booztd 3
Nice and unique setup wort
natedogg
Looking good man! biggthumpup.gif
akamiami
wort, I'm really at a loss man...

For the clutch solution, I would look very strongly towards the quartermasters twin disc.

Sadly, I never got to install the one I had on my 1g and I ended up selling it back to Devo Tuning (www.devotuning.com) but sooo many of the top names in DSM's swear by it.
wortdog
I ended up ordering the PTT twin disk, which is very similar to the Quarter Master (both designed by the same person, actually). The PTT comes with a custom throw out bearing and a few other odds and ends(lower profile, a little lighter) that made it a bit more attractive than the QM.
haunter
QUOTE (wortdog @ Jun 4 2007, 03:44 PM)
I ended up ordering the PTT twin disk, which is very similar to the Quarter Master (both designed by the same person, actually). The PTT comes with a custom throw out bearing and a few other odds and ends(lower profile, a little lighter) that made it a bit more attractive than the QM.

aw you shoulda made Justin give you a deal dude!
wortdog
QUOTE (haunter @ Jun 5 2007, 02:19 PM)

Justin told me he couldn't really cut me a deal, as the QM clutch isn't even really a QM product. Its a QM pressure plate, QM friction plates and disks, with a PTT flywheel assembled by Devo Tuning.
StreetSweeper
Thats deffinentaly Different. Good luck with it.
scrapin_frame
what a hunk of crap! my car hasnt broken a single transmission.. biggthumpup.gif
haunter
QUOTE (wortdog @ Jun 5 2007, 03:43 PM)

Justin told me he couldn't really cut me a deal, as the QM clutch isn't even really a QM product. Its a QM pressure plate, QM friction plates and disks, with a PTT flywheel assembled by Devo Tuning.

bah hes worthless! biggrin.gif

John of course you car hasnt broken any trannies, its barely ran tongue.gif
scrapin_frame
QUOTE (haunter @ Jun 6 2007, 10:37 AM)
QUOTE (wortdog @ Jun 5 2007, 03:43 PM)

bah hes worthless! biggrin.gif

John of course you car hasnt broken any trannies, its barely ran tongue.gif

a valid point biggthumpup.gif
awd4kicks
Have you got the Jackstransmission in the Teal Terror yet Eric? If so what do you think of it?
scrapin_frame
he has his tranny in, but i had his ecu due to mine being doa.
haunter
yeah the car is def in pieces still

he has other things hes tidying up before he puts it back together I beleive
black92_tsi_awd
Any progress???
MidwestDSM
sore subject...
wortdog
A bit of "backwards" progress: dry.gif

Burninated
xian 1g
wow wort... I was really digging where you were going with the project.. i just don't understand this last turn of engineering thought.. why in the hell would you just burn the mother fucker? jk... let me know how it's all going.
JBone
ohmy.gif
Oh my God

What happened? Was Anything salvageable? Motor?

So what's on the agenda, then?
awd4kicks
Um...DAMN! I'm really sorry to see that Eric. sad.gif
black92_tsi_awd
Oh sh$t...sorry I brought it up.

Sorry for your loss.
marty
it is currently unknown if the motor and trans are still usable. maybe if wort gets off his lazy depressed ass and works on the car we'll finally know more ph34r.gif
ncgalant
QUOTE (marty @ Oct 24 2007, 06:52 AM)
it is currently unknown if the motor and trans are still usable. maybe if wort gets off his lazy depressed ass and works on the car we'll finally know more ph34r.gif

Prety sure if it were me it would take at least a year before I'd want to even pop the hood.
black92_tsi_awd
Strange fire...it looks like the tires didn't burn.
treydawgs4g63T
Damn, i could almost sprout a tear! sorry for your loss man
SCCA Stang
QUOTE (ncgalant @ Oct 24 2007, 07:18 AM)
QUOTE (marty @ Oct 24 2007, 06:52 AM)
it is currently unknown if the motor and trans are still usable. maybe if wort gets off his lazy depressed ass and works on the car we'll finally know more  ph34r.gif

Prety sure if it were me it would take at least a year before I'd want to even pop the hood.

I know that I would be pretty depressed too... sorry for your loss
natedogg
That really sucks! How's the insurance company treating you?
scrapin_frame
last i heard, the insurance company was covering the value of the car plus the mods. he bought the car back and has purchased another 1g awd. resurrection of some sort will happen...
wortdog
Resurrection of the GT35R sort, I think.

The State Farm has been great about it, they're giving me a lot more for it than I expected they would after I faxed in what receipts I had for the modifications The motor and the trans seem to be alright so far other than all of the seals. I wouldn't be surprised if the head is warped though.

I'll try to grab an engine bay shot the next time I'm working on it.

The tires definitely burnt, I think that he sidewalls and construction of Z rated tires kept them mostly together. In fact the car actually rolled onto the flatbed on the tires.
JBone
Normally I would think that the GT35R would be so frickin' sweet. BUT, dude, you have had the damn setup together! Why quit on it? Do the TT!
black92_tsi_awd
I second the vote for getting the twin setup going!
wortdog
In the last couple weeks I was starting to get everything working. As I started cranking the boost up, the secondary turbo was wanting to spool later and later, to the point of it really being useless in anything other than over 8k in 4th gear.

To get it on the second turbo earlier, I had to drop the boost down to about 15psi or less, so my boost pattern ended up being 25psi at 3500rpm, dropping to 13-15psi at around 5500 as the wastegates popped open to spool the secondary turbo and then holding 25 out to redline. Not exactly smooth for coming off a corner. This was also an issue with the TT RX7, as it has a 10-8-10 pattern.

I think I'll be happy with a 3065 or GT35r, I already threw out the I/C piping for the twin setup anyway blink.gif

Leaning towards the 3065 right now actually, although I'm still considering everything from the BW S258 to the GT4088R.
awd4kicks
Wort,

I don't know that I would bother with a 3065. Spy's 35R spools faster than my 3052. I'm sure that tune has a lot to do wth it, but his 35R is coming on where I would have wanted my 3052 to. So it's capable.
ncgalant
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Oct 29 2007, 06:55 AM)
Wort,

I don't know that I would bother with a 3065. Spy's 35R spools faster than my 3052. I'm sure that tune has a lot to do wth it, but his 35R is coming on where I would have wanted my 3052 to. So it's capable.

I'm wondering if most of the spool difference isn't from your vast difference in head ports.
wortdog
Buschur has a kit for mounting an FP 3065 on Evo's, general consensus is that for EVOs the 3065 spools 400-500 RPM quicker than the GT3585R and maybe 100 RPM quicker than the GT3563R.

Turbonetics makes a T4 based twin-scroll version of the GT35R that has also caught my eye. There are just too many darn choices in the realm of 500-600whp turbos.
awd4kicks
True, but per Forced Performance my FP3052 is supposed to spool faster than the FP3065 and GT35r as well. It hasn't yet... The other factors are obviously making the difference, but it is still real world results.

If NC is right, you will be affected the same way if you are still using that ported head that you bought from Spy.
haunter
ugh I hadnt looked at those pics a month mad.gif
wortdog
The 4088R seems to be spooling around 4500RPM on a 2.3, at least one person has seen 600ft/lb of torque at 4500rpm.

Hmmmmm. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.