Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silverstone Track Day
DSMCentral > Forum > Events
akamiami
This past Wednesday, 26-Sep-07, I drove about an hour and a half down to Silverstone for their Grand Prix driving day event.

To make a long story short, I got a chance to drive some sick cars and I had an absolute blast. My favorite car of the day was the Lotus Exige, but the Ferrari 360 with the F1 paddle shifter was a close second.

I got incredibly lucky because the weather was fantastic (as you can see from the pictures) and they allowed us to drive the full 3.6 mile, 17 turn circuit instead of a shortened version. So basically, I got to drive the same circuit that they use for F1 events.

Here is a video of me taking a short run in the Caterham Super 7. That car was VERY difficult to keep in a straight line.

Here are some pictures, hope you enjoy them.

On my instructor evaluation card, I was noted for my aggression several times. smile.gif I think that driving a 4wd turbo car instills some bad driving habits that are hard to break when driving cars that require finesse. I spun out the Exige, but I just had to find out just how far I could take it before I passed the limits of the car. smile.gif
JBone
Guess who's really jealous?

THIS GUY (raises hand in the air)

Truly awesome, my friend.
awd4kicks
VERY Cool Kris! Looks like good fun.

How do you like shifting with your left hand?
akamiami
Its surprising just how quickly you get used to shifting with the 'wrong' hand. And I'm very comfortable with driving from the right side of the vehicle by now, so that wasn't an issue at all. The single seater Formula 4 cars were a whole new experience, but after a lap around the track, it felt very natural.

Guys, you'll be happy to hear that I now have firsthand evidence to tell you all that these 'supercars' have nothing on our DSM's or Evo's.

Sure, they're comfortable and sexy looking and sound beautiful, but as far as performance goes, the Porsche, Ferrari, and Lotus cars I drove just aren't quite yet on the same level as some of the modified cars I've been lucky enough to ride in and drive.
awd4kicks
QUOTE (akamiami @ Sep 29 2007, 04:39 PM)
Guys, you'll be happy to hear that I now have firsthand evidence to tell you all that these 'supercars' have nothing on our DSM's or Evo's. 

Sure, they're comfortable and sexy looking and sound beautiful, but as far as performance goes, the Porsche, Ferrari, and Lotus cars I drove just aren't quite yet on the same level as some of the modified cars I've been lucky enough to ride in and drive.

That is some good news to hear. Especially considering where to draw the line on modifications always seems to be a blurry one, it's nice to know that our efforts have put our car's performance level over some of the most exquisite examples available from any factory. biggthumpup.gif
SCCA Stang
wow.... very jealous too!!!

wish I could enjoy same thing you just experienced... hopefully I will be able to do something like it.
natedogg
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Sep 29 2007, 08:29 AM)
VERY Cool Kris! Looks like good fun.

How do you like shifting with your left hand?

About as much as he likes whacking it with his left hand I'm sure.

BOT, good stuff man. Color me green with envy. I can't imagine you being too aggressive though, conekiller.
Kazz5
Bastard.
eclipgst
Dude what the hell you should have called and told me you were going to do that so i could go with you! I've been meaning to come and see ya anyway. How much did all of this (go-fast) fun cost? Tell me when i can come and visit so i can do this. It looks like a freakin blast!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.