Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2008 DSMCentral Drag Challenge!
DSMCentral > Forum > Events
awd4kicks
DSMCENTRAL'S
2008 DRAG CHALLENGE

AT CORDOVA DRAGWAY PARK

SUNDAY - MAY 18TH
RACING FROM NOON TO 4:00 PM
GATES OPEN AT 11:00 AM AND CLOSE AT 5:00 PM

PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED THE SAME DAY FOR THE FOLLOWING:

FASTEST STREET CAR
FASTEST RACE CAR
WINNER OF BRACKET RACES

ENTRY FEES:
$40 FOR THOSE RACING
$10 FOR A SECOND RACE VEHICLE FOR THE SAME DRIVER
$10 FOR SPECTATORS

MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW...
93dsmowner
If I get the Talon off Travis and get permission, I'll try to get there.

Stupid question and this is 4 days before I turn 16, but can a permit driver with parent participate?

Either way, I'll try to head up and watch if nothing else.
97TalonTSI
prizes? Cash? Only two different classes? What is the difference between a race car and a street car?
JMoushon
IIRC, cage and interior...

Dilemma... take the 5.0 or the talon, or find a driver and run both?
Mark@ams
Bummer!! Same day as our open house. I really want to attend one of these sometime.
awd4kicks
Dang it Mark. You can skip out of the Open House. Come on! biggrin.gif

HEY Everybody! Wouldn't it be great if we could have total unadulterated access to a race track to have fun on all day long?

Yeah, that's what it's all about. cool.gif

Who's planning on making it. May 18th is coming up very quickly!
93dsmowner
If I can find a ride to Cordova I'll come watch. I need to see some fast DSM's to get some inspiration smile.gif
kapoosh
damn, i was planning on going to AMS for the grand opening thing to collect that turbo i plan on winning! smile.gif Plus i'm getting tuned the next day (19th) so i wouldnt be able to run un-tuned anyways.
awdnot2
We're planning on dragging out the hooptie to try and run.
JMoushon
Gonna try to break into the 14's? wink.gif
turbohcar
Are ATVs allowed to this one LOL?
resalturbo
40 bucks and on a sunday
i will see what i can do
i have to ask the warden (aka wife) for a day pass lol
awd4kicks
Excellent. Darryl & Susan... Can I assume that you mean the Eclipse when you say Hooptie?

Can I count on you to Mr. Lang?

There's going to be some sweet cars there next Sunday.
93dsmowner
Woo hoo! I think I'll be heading up with my dad next Sunday. Who all is going?
black92_tsi_awd
I don't think I can make it....I'll try, but due to family commitments it might not work out.
awd4kicks
Are you all ready for this coming Sunday?

There should be a few interesting cars to see run down the track while you get in all the racing that you can handle.

As you know Darryl & Susan will be making some runs. SloPny will be getting in the first runs on his new fox body set-up. Racer's Edge will have the white Cuda on hand... I hope to see some wheels up action there.

There will even be a show car or two running down the track. The drummer/singer for Broken Mojo (The band my son is in) will be bringing out his beautiful '69 Mach1 which is said to be a virgin at the 1/4 mile. He says it may not be the fastest thing, but it will be cool to see it roar down the track. biggthumpup.gif

There are many others along with these guys and there's plenty of room for more.

Prize details are now being worked out...
RLS Racing/Nitrous Express will be putting up a $50 gift Certificate
Meineke Muffler will also be putting up a $50 gift certificate

I've spoken with AJ at Racer's Edge and he may be working out a little bonus for the racers as well.

Thanks Ryan and AJ biggthumpup.gif

More info to come. Remember gates open at 11am Sunday, with racing from noon until 4pm.
JMoushon
Might make a pass or 2 in the DD... Can't get the Mustang ready in time.

However, knowing this, I made my brother buy nitrous and wheels/tires for his mustang, it'll be there.

I love being the big brother and having unchained access to his car and bank account. <evil laugh>
93dsmowner
I'll be there (hopefully)
treydawgs4g63T
ima be there for shizzle! dont know if ill be racing or not though
SCCA Stang
it's my daughter's Baptism or else I would bring out the new stang
93dsmowner
I can't go. :/ Cousin's graduation...

Marcus, just make a kickass vid. smile.gif
awdnot2
Hopefully the bugs with the car are fix. Last time out the car wouldn't go down the track. It would shoot blue flames out the exhaust though.
awd4kicks
We will be shooting video and we will try to get a compilation put together soon.

With cars like Awdnot2 and Slo Pny out there it should make for some good spectating.

Slo Pny Josh just got his Fox Body turbo Mustang Dyno tuned last week. It made 525 HP and 619ft/lbs of torque at the wheels. One of the most surprising things is that this is done on a bone stock 5.0 short block with about 160k miles on it. I expect to see him put it on the back bumper this weekend! wink.gif
JBone
That honestly doesn't surprise me anymore with Josh or any of his group of 302 boys.

Ruckle ran a dry shot of 250 on his stock block with 150k on it and no rebuild.

Then Faulkenberry slapped a supercharger on that motor and ran 11.xx without the nitrous. I think he slapped heads on it.

But, come on! that's just insane.

I wish I could be there. Have fun and be safe, fellas!

biggthumpup.gif
treydawgs4g63T
we can pay to race at the gate also correct? what abou just doing a test and tune?
awd4kicks
Yes, everyone will be paying at the gate.

'Racing' = 'Test n tune' for this event. Think of it as getting to pay only $40 for total free access to a drag strip for as many runs as you can handle. That's about 2% of the true cost. wink.gif
JMoushon
Got the n2o system hooked up in the lil brother's car... only to find out that it has a leak at the intake gasket. Mad dash for parts!!! Installing the gaskets soon, I've put too many hours in this car this week for it not to run! See you all there!
black92_tsi_awd
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ May 17 2008, 08:26 AM)
'Racing' = 'Test n tune' for this event. Think of it as getting to pay only $40 for total free access to a drag strip for as many runs as you can handle. That's about 2% of the true cost. wink.gif

If anybody hasn't attended before...I highly recommend it.

In past events I've run somewhere in the order of 12+ runs with no real waiting. You can throughly beat the crap out of your car and see what's it's made of!! Picked up a few nice gift certificates too!
awd4kicks
Thanks Chris! biggthumpup.gif

There a pretty good buzz going around about this event. I hope to see a lot of racing action Sunday. I got calls from two different guys today wanting to bring their 8 to 9 second cars out. One is a TA from Brian Black of Daxcon who will be with Eric Vicary and another fella with a 9 second race car. The other guy has a tube chassi car that he is dialing in and bringing a friend with a Rail dragster! Shiat! This should be pretty cool...
black92_tsi_awd
Yeah, Brian's got a badass car. Apparently we were at the track the other Sat and didn't see each other.

Didn't you hear...I'm trying to hire all the fastest car/drivers in the area! cool.gif
awd4kicks
Haha...Well if that's the case I come with a pretty high price tag Chris. ...then again my sales account management makes it more than worth while. wink.gif
Dakota_DSM
Well I will not be there due to not having a ride... sad.gif I had 2 lined up and they both backed out...
awd4kicks
That's unfortunate for anyone that won't be able to make it. Looks like great weather and awesome cars are lined up today.
Dakota_DSM
Well I hope you guys are taking some pics and vid so I can know what I missed... wacko.gif
black92_tsi_awd
Man, I'm kicking myself for not going today, the weather is perfect! Can't wait to see some video. At least I might of found out what was wrong with my car today.

Kicks, let me know if your ever in the market, I can always make sure the resume get to the right person biggthumpup.gif
mitsu90
had fun today. just wish more people would have showed up.perfect weather.
JMoushon
01 GT 4.6 Automatic Mustang

14.1 Motor/slicks
13.57 @ 104 50 shot
13.12 @ 109 100 shot.

Had a great time, everything was perfect.

Thanks Marcus!!!
turbohcar
QUOTE (JMoushon @ May 19 2008, 07:28 AM)
01 GT 4.6 Automatic Mustang

14.1 Motor/slicks
13.57 @ 104 50 shot
13.12 @ 109 100 shot.

Had a great time, everything was perfect.

Thanks Marcus!!!

Sounds like that stang would have been right with my old 94 Camaro Z28 on motor. Forget about it with you on the nitrous though, I'd be in the dust biggthumpup.gif
treydawgs4g63T
damn... wish my car wouldnt have f'd up on me. plus i had a graduation out of town to go to that i didnt find out about until friday.

cant wait to see some footage.
awd4kicks
We had one of THE best days to-date for racing! It was a great day.

Darryl made a couple of passes and seems to have his problem figured as a bad battery, so the day paid off for him.

Met Ian from Iowa who brought his small 16g DSM down from a 14.7 to a best of 14.1 for the day.

Josh's Mustang made a bunch of runs with a best of 11.04 @ 124mph and a 1.5 60 ft. time on 93 octane and 12 pounds of boost. The car was very fast and sounded great, but it didn't come off the line like we expected. He's running the same suspension as Skaggs who 60 ft's 1.3's, but the turbo set-up just isn't making the torque off the line. Still he's very happy with the results as well as the drivability of a 525whp turbo car. He even let me make an 11.5 @ 124mph pass in it. I didn't have the cajones to launch it, so I was pretty impressed that it still ran the number.

There were 4-5 9 second cars ripping down the track all day long. Steve powers made numerous passes in his 10 second TA without any breakage. The Racers Edge guys were on hand with their cars. AJ was having some trouble getting the Cuda to launch, but that didn't stop him from runing 10's every pass. The WS6 hit an 11.9 with his new suspension set-up. Nick brought out his sweet Nova for tuning running down 10's like clock work. The SRT-4 boys got their ride down to a very impressive 12.0 with a wicked sounding burn out on every run. There was even a PT cruiser ripping down the track in 13 seconds of glory.

My favorite car of the day was probably the 1969 Mach1 with the very stock 306 even though his best run was a 15.1

There were only 19 cars that came to take advantage of the perfect race day and only two of them were DSM's. dry.gif Because of that they all pretty much had the track to run by them selves any time they wanted. It was beautiful and I got quite a bit of video. I will try to get a vid put together soon.

HUGE thanks goes out to Ryan Skaggs for providing $50 gift certificates from Mieneke Muffler for the runners up in the fastest street car class and $50 gift certificates from RLS Racing Nitrous Express for the fastest street car and Fastest race car!

Thanks to all those that came out and made it such a great day, that's what it's all about right there! biggthumpup.gif
mitsu90
thanx again kicks for putting on a great show, just wish the vr4 was up to running. I feel lucky just making it there and back without breaking.
awd4kicks
Thanks for coming out it was good to see you there. I wish the gVR4 could have made some runs too.
mitsu90
next year it's on like donkey kong I am guaranteeing 12.0's next year
black92_tsi_awd
Was AJ running wheels up like at Bryon wheelie contest? tongue.gif
awd4kicks
No, He said he couldn't get the stall converter to work or something.
black92_tsi_awd
I saw him in Car Craft, would have been nice to see some video of him hanging the front end.
hsesws6
Yeh there was a problem with the AJ's Cuda it wouldn't stall up and flash the converter (2800-3000 instead of 4800) so it couldn't launch hard like everyone wants. We went through everything we could at the track and think it might be ignition electronics related or maybe the converter. We have another MSD box and coil and we are currently going through all the electronics. We'll get it sorted out and fixed and get it in the air again.

Sorry for the let down...

But my car was running the best it ever has, running multiple 12.0@115 and a best ever of 11.9@117.17 on 1.6 60' leaving off the line @ 6900RPM and carying the front tires. A few suspension adjustments and some weight out of the car and hopefully I can get it to consistent 11.5's.

Big thanks to Marcus for the track rental and a great day.

Greg

PS... speaking of video anyone have any video or pictures from the day?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.