Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2008 Slo Pny Drag Day
DSMCentral > Forum > Events
awd4kicks
Come join us at Cordova Dragway Park on July 27th, 2008 for as much 1/4 mile action as you can handle.
awd4kicks
Who all is going to make it to Slo Pny Drag Day? DSM or not.
93dsmowner
Possibility.

If my Talon is done by then (BIG IF) then I might see if someone will make a pass in it so I have an idea of where it is. I don't think I can at 16, and I might have a family reunion to go to that day :/
ncgalant
with some luck, I'll make it 2 years after I wanted to.
black92_tsi_awd
gonna try...
93dsmowner
Well, I'm definitely going.
natedogg
I'll try to make this one as a spectator, barring any more business trips.
awd4kicks
This is happening next weekend! Are you all ready?
awdnot2
Getting close!
awd4kicks
QUOTE (awdnot2 @ Jul 21 2008, 09:30 PM)
Getting close!

If you don't end up making it, would you let me borrow your slicks so I can see if I can destroy my clutch or T-case in an attempt for a low 11 out of the Talon. biggrin.gif ph34r.gif
93dsmowner
I should still be going! I'm placing an order for a tranny from TRE tomorrow!
black92_tsi_awd
Darryl...you better make it? What's left to do??

Looks like I'm going to possibly skip the brackets on Sat and run Slo Pny day Sunday instead. Trying to bring the wife and kids to watch. I possibly might get my autocrossing neighbor to go also. It's a pretty much stock Focus but he wants to try dragging.
JMoushon
No idea what I'll be driving, but I'll be there.
treydawgs4g63T
might show up on my new toy, but not sure.
awdnot2
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Jul 21 2008, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (awdnot2 @ Jul 21 2008, 09:30 PM)
Getting close!

If you don't end up making it, would you let me borrow your slicks so I can see if I can destroy my clutch or T-case in an attempt for a low 11 out of the Talon. biggrin.gif ph34r.gif

laugh.gif They might actaually help the transfer case. It won't help the clutch though.

I think everything should be in order tonight.
treydawgs4g63T
so did that CAS work for ya daryll?
asiankid91
ill show and ill have some friends with to just need to know what all i need to wear to race the bike
black92_tsi_awd
i'd call Cordova and get the bike info. they're running brackets right now so someone will be able to answer the phne. The webpage has the info also.
asiankid91
k thanks ninja
93dsmowner
I'm headin out to Cordova in about 30 minutes or so!

EDIT: My first time to the strip was pretty sweet. Daryll's AWD put some faith in my dad when it comes to the 4 bangers, but he was happy to see the 8.5 second run by some firebird out there.

Good stuff! Can't wait to be able to make my own pass!
natedogg
Last minute family issues kept me from making the trip. Hope it was fun.
asiankid91
well i had a blast wish i could of had a better time but the best i could do is a 10.190 at 136.29 i was so trying to brake in to the 9s but no luck!! the more i keep running the slower i got! so i just gave up. but over all it was a good time!

and the trip down there was kinda crazy ha ha
black92_tsi_awd
Good time as usual! Got about 10 runs in with the best being a 12.58. The heat was killing my mph. Did a lot of different launch techniques and alot of red lighting. Wife and kids came and got to see daddy "race"

Marcus, thanks for setting the wife up at the gate

Broke my neighbors drag racing cherry...he's addicted and was asking the girlfriend for a turbo kit for his Focus after his third run! She asked where her engagement ring was first! ohmy.gif

Ran into to Asiankid and Spy...I'll let them explain their trip down...

JMoushon, I looked for you to line up a race but I guess it wasn't to be.
JMoushon
The DD was out, but only took 4 passes. Stock boost, 3" exhaust, and free mods ended up at a 14.3 @96mph. I'm happy with it, knowing I'm a fuel pump and three hours away from some solid 13's.

I'm considering installing all the parts that came with the car as well wink.gif I'd like to toss a decent clutch and 2 stage boost controller and try to give you a run wink.gif

FYI: 1.) I will cheat, likely with an E3 16g, and 2.) the 2 stage b/c is my poor-mans way of saving the three-bolt rear wink.gif
awd4kicks
This year's Slo Pny Drag Day was THE best. We had a great turn out and great weather.

I watched Black92_tsi_awd take out more than one V8 in his sleeper (what just happened) kind of style! biggthumpup.gif

Looked like Darryl is getting things worked out and knocking out some 10's all the while.

James very stock DSM knocked out some great numbers.

I got to run the Sportster a few times. Yeah a best of 14.33 is VERY slow for a bike, but I knew it would be slow...It's a Harley. biggrin.gif It was interesting riding the bike all the way to Cordova and back... about 50mpg is not bad!

Josh's turbo Stang ran a best of 11.4 this time around. He's working through the details. He will have it in the 10's before the end of the year.

We gave out $200 in prize money to the fastest street and fastest race cars that participated in the shoot-outs. It always surprises me how few people people take advantage of these free cash offers. rolleyes.gif

TONS of fast cars and TONS of great people! Thanks to everyone for showing up and sharing a great day at the track!
93dsmowner
Yeah, that Harley was pretty slow. tongue.gif
JMoushon
QUOTE (black92_tsi_awd @ Jul 28 2008, 07:46 PM)
Good time as usual! Got about 10 runs in with the best being a 12.58. The heat was killing my mph. Did a lot of different launch techniques and alot of red lighting. Wife and kids came and got to see daddy "race"

Marcus, thanks for setting the wife up at the gate

Broke my neighbors drag racing cherry...he's addicted and was asking the girlfriend for a turbo kit for his Focus after his third run! She asked where her engagement ring was first! ohmy.gif

Ran into to Asiankid and Spy...I'll let them explain their trip down...

JMoushon, I looked for you to line up a race but I guess it wasn't to be.

What is your average short time? The few runs I got to see looked like the car bogged out of the hole pretty bad. I would think a 5500 stutter would kill the launch, unless it had a good amount of time to build...

On the other hand, the car runs great, it seems to put down the power in a big way for a 14b car.
black92_tsi_awd
Yeah I've had MAJOR problems launching this year. It either pull a 1.7x to 1.8x 60 or bog and runs a 2.x. Kind of makes it hard to bracket race the car. mad.gif

The stutter is actually set for 5000....but I've been thinking of getting another chip set at 5500 to help the issue. It basically comes down to the driver, if I slip the clutch correctly it goes.

My mph was 107-108 all day, yet my times went from 12.58-13.2 the 60's decided the time.

I'm going on Aug 8, hopefully with some new chips to get some more timing at WOT. But I'm coming to the conclusion that the turbos at it limit. I turned the boost up Sunday but it it won't hold more than 19psi for very long.
JMoushon
How ported are the housings? The 14b isn't a monster, but it sould handle 20psi with ease (and heat). Just my opinion, but I'd give 6k a shot. You're not risking anything but drivetrain parts wink.gif

I was launching at 6200 with very little slip, and running 1.9x shorts. My worst was 2.01, and that was about 5500.

Every AWD I've had launched best at 6k+, but I was concerned about the stock clutch. Turns out the clutch held it just fine.

If I have my way in the next week or 2, I'll be coming to Vicary day in something newer and cleaner, and we may be able to do some serious runs at that point.
black92_tsi_awd
I ported the hell out of it. Last year I ran 22 psi falling to 20 and ran a best of 12.47. This year is 18 psi getting me a 12.43 so obviously the tune(NCgalant) is a hell of a lot better. Thinking about it, maybe the hot thin air was just causing the 14b to poop out.
awdnot2
The eprom in the AEM is now tight and the car does not shut off going down the track! Looking back the I think the car ran pretty well. The last pass where the time was not displayed was like a 10.3x @146 or 147. This was done with 1.70 60' which is a full 3 tenths off the normal 60' time. Oh I also had 8 degrees on timing pulled for the nitrous that DID NOT SPRAY, thus the slower 60'. I think will be in business next time out!
JMoushon
Boost leak check that thing!
awd4kicks
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Jul 29 2008, 02:46 PM)
Yeah, that Harley was pretty slow. tongue.gif

Sshhh! don't tell any Harley guys. Some of them think they are fast! Haha I rode it all the way up to Cordova... I couldn't pass-up taking it down the track a few times just to put some real numbers on it.

Don't worry, it's a cool cruising bike. I chose this over a fast sport bike in an attempt for better odds at staying alive. And I got a great deal on it. wink.gif
black92_tsi_awd
QUOTE (JMoushon @ Jul 29 2008, 07:12 PM)
Boost leak check that thing!

I checked it before heading to the track...only leak is at the TB seals.
93dsmowner
Heh, I was just jerkin the chain Marcus. smile.gif
JBone
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Jul 30 2008, 06:13 AM)
...I chose this over a fast sport bike in an attempt for better odds at staying alive...

What event could ever make you think that a cruiser is safer? cough, spy, cough, gross, cough, spy ph34r.gif
awd4kicks
Hahaha laugh.gif

Probably the ability to do light speed at the crack of the throttle on a crotch rocket vs. the roar of a Harley as it slowly attains highway speed. Plus you don't get the itch to make hard turns on a Harley like some might on a crotch rocket. ph34r.gif
93dsmowner
I saw a group of bikes on the side of an off ramp on my way to Cordova. The same guys who blew by me on 74W.

One of them had gone into the ditch and they were pullin the bike out.

Saw them at Cordova as I was leaving. smile.gif
resalturbo
did you point and laugh??
93dsmowner
Nope. smile.gif
asiankid91
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Jul 30 2008, 10:27 PM)
I saw a group of bikes on the side of an off ramp on my way to Cordova. The same guys who blew by me on 74W.

One of them had gone into the ditch and they were pullin the bike out.

Saw them at Cordova as I was leaving. smile.gif

haha yea that was us!! there was three of us that went in the ditch and my buddy Ryan is the one that went down but hes ok. me and spy went in first at like 70 mph it was kinda funny cuz i didnt think anyone else went in but no i look next to me and see dan i was like wtf maybe he though it was a short cut but no lol but over all it was a funny just glad no one got hurt
asiankid91
QUOTE (resalturbo @ Jul 30 2008, 11:42 PM)
did you point and laugh??

wtf is that suppose to mean?
black92_tsi_awd
I knew that was coming... ph34r.gif
93dsmowner
Haha good to hear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.