Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project ZZZZ
DSMCentral > Forum > Project Threads
ncgalant
Well here I am again. After spending a nonstop year working on my house, I got so burned out I didn't want to do anything. I realized a couple of weeks ago how little enjoyment I got from the house and how miserable that had made me. I decided to put my efforts into something that I would enjoy. To recap, here's a list of current mods.

Rebuilt engine using all mitsu parts
90 oil filter housing with an aftermarket cooler
Ported 14b
EVO3 Exhaust manifold+O2 housing
2g maf
3" intake pipe
Socketed EPROM ECU
510CC injectors
48PSI FPR
Walboro 255HP pump

Two years ago I put the car aside after several setbacks, namely the oil pump pulley fallin off after the initial rebuild, then the oil pump locking up after the head swap. I finally have worked up the courage to start on her again.

I ran the oil pump last night with the drill and was able to get oil to flow out of the turbo, so the system is well primed. The bottom end turns over free. The cams and crank looked to be 1-2 teeth off from eachother before I pulled the timing belt, so the valves should be fine.

At this point I need to:
Finish putting the oiling system back together
Put the transfer case and exhaust back together
Put the timing components back together
pump out the gas tank and replace with fresh
wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif
burn a chip for it
Fix my intake problems
move the battery to to trunk(stupid galant battery placement)
hope like hell she'll start!!!!
if she starts......
Pull all of the tires and seperage the break pads from the rotors
air up the tires
boost leak check
stir and enjoy biggthumpup.gif

I'd like to have all of that done by the end of the month. If I can hit one thing a night, I'll get it done pretty quick.
Kazz5
Go for it! I'm sick to death of how slow I'm able to move! *Laugh*

Keep us posted and continue to be inspiration!
awd4kicks
Very doable Nathan. We need to get back together so you can take posetion of these 5-6 unused EPROM chips I still have.
ncgalant
Thanks guys, I'll be over in the next week or so to pick up chips Marcus. Tonight I got the turbo oil line tied back in. Oil pump parts are all put back together. Cranked the pump again to make sure all is good. Put the crank pulley back on. At this point its all ready for a timing belt. Cams are in place(and they turn nice and free).

Tomorrow I'll put on the timing belt and motor mount.
I'd like to think I'll get the transfer case back on also.
black92_tsi_awd
Progress is good! We need to get together once it's running, hell it should be a board get together/event since it's been so long coming....biggrin.gif

When your all caught up we need to get that "race gas" chip burnt for my car. biggthumpup.gif
mitsu90
it's about time... biggthumpup.gif
ncgalant
QUOTE (black92_tsi_awd @ Jul 9 2008, 08:21 PM)
Progress is good! We need to get together once it's running, hell it should be a board get together/event since it's been so long coming....biggrin.gif

When your all caught up we need to get that "race gas" chip burnt for my car. biggthumpup.gif

with any luck I'll be doing one for the both of us on the 27th biggthumpup.gif biggrin.gif biggthumpup.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
awd4kicks
Give me a call when your ready, I'll be going on vacation next Monday.
black92_tsi_awd
[quote=ncgalant,Jul 9 2008, 09:13 PM] [QUOTE=black92_tsi_awd,Jul 9 2008, 08:21 PM] with any luck I'll be doing one for the both of us on the 27th biggthumpup.gif biggrin.gif biggthumpup.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif [/quote]
That might work. Did you figure out the problem we had with my extra chips?
ncgalant
I haven't messed with it, but I guess this will give me motivation to do it. Marcus, PM me your new number. I got Evan's voicemail the other day.
ncgalant
der der der der blip der der der blip blip der blip blip vroom blip blip dehhhhhhhhh

der der blip vroom vroom blip blip vroom blip blip dehhhhhh

is there any sweeter sound. Well I do know one thing, she hates three year old gas. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
awd4kicks
congrats man...get that gas changed. biggthumpup.gif
black92_tsi_awd
Long time coming...glad to hear it! biggthumpup.gif
ncgalant
Fresh gas and a fresh chip yielded good results. After 45 seconds of idling her at 2000-3000 the lifters pumped up and she sounded pretty smooth. I shut her down at that point so as not to die in my garage. I guess I need to break the breaks lose and see if she'll move.

With any luck, she'll be plated on Tuesday.
Kazz5
Awesome!
ncgalant
she runs and rolls, Lets just hope the valve noise goes away. She sounds horrible!!!!!!!`
black92_tsi_awd
Maybe she need the upgraded lifters...

Motor pulling ok? I know you were slightly concerned about dinging a valve.
ncgalant
this head was suposed to have 3g lifters already in it. Its still only run a total of 3 minutes. It may just need to run. I'm planning to run her around the block tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how that goes tomorrow.
mitsu90
thats awesome glad it running biggthumpup.gif
black92_tsi_awd
Yeah, it might just need some time. It took probably 20 min of driving for my 3g lifter to settle down.
ncgalant
I've got the same problem again. She's leaking oil somewhere around the front case BAD BAD BAD. I'm going to pull the wheel and covers tonight and try to run it longe enough to figure out where its comming from. I have yet to ever see oil when it idles. I was thinking maybe its leaking around the pan, but this is a LOT.
ncgalant
QUOTE (ncgalant @ Jul 16 2008, 09:59 AM)
I've got the same problem again. She's leaking oil somewhere around the front case BAD BAD BAD. I'm going to pull the wheel and covers tonight and try to run it longe enough to figure out where its comming from. I have yet to ever see oil when it idles. I was thinking maybe its leaking around the pan, but this is a LOT.

Well I haven't had time to get anything done on the car. Dad's been in the hospital after a minor heart attack ohmy.gif . I figured that was more important tongue.gif . Its all good though, I'm still hoping to have it running decent by next week. I doubt a drag day is in my future though.
Kazz5
Sorry to hear. Gotta take care of Dads. They're one of those limited-time resources as we grow up. Good luck on all fronts!
black92_tsi_awd
Damn, sorry to hear that. Hope he gets out of the hospital quick!
ncgalant
well he's back home. He's got 2 stents in his heart, but all's good. I'm going to get up early and try to get the oil leak found tomorrow. Keep him in your prayers over the next weeks if you would. Thanks guys...
JBone
It's good he's okay, man. It can definitely screw with you, but it's great he's okay.

Keep on trucking with the car man. Almost there!
black92_tsi_awd
so any update on your dad or the car??
treydawgs4g63T
Good to hear. now i gotta get mine back up and running so we can have a board gathering like said above.
treydawgs4g63T
sorry to hear about your dad, hope he gets well soon!!!

One thing to check is the front main seal. I have fought with those a few times and you wont see them leaking unless theres a load on the engine usually. I have my blue talon pullin this crap on me and it took me two or three oil pan gaskets b4 i figured out that it was the front main seal. Very easy to change and prolly not a bad idea to do so since its been sitting so long.
ncgalant
QUOTE (treydawgs4g63T @ Jul 26 2008, 10:57 AM)

One thing to check is the front main seal. I have fought with those a few times and you wont see them leaking unless theres a load on the engine usually. I have my blue talon pullin this crap on me and it took me two or three oil pan gaskets b4 i figured out that it was the front main seal. Very easy to change and prolly not a bad idea to do so since its been sitting so long.

good info, I've got the car over to Corey's place(A/C in the garage) I'll tear into her tomorrow again. If it is the front seal I wonder if 20 sec on a 4000 rpm studder would show it. It's a new front case with a brand new seal, but that doesn't mean anything. Well here's hoping.....

As for dad, he's home safe and sound. Doc's got him on some meds(which I don't totally agree with). But overall things are good. To send a line up into a heart and put in a stent is really an amazing thing.
turbohcar
QUOTE (ncgalant @ Jul 27 2008, 07:46 PM)
QUOTE (treydawgs4g63T @ Jul 26 2008, 10:57 AM)

One thing to check is the front main seal.  I have fought with those a few times and you wont see them leaking unless theres a load on the engine usually.  I have my blue talon pullin this crap on me and it took me two or three oil pan gaskets b4 i figured out that it was the front main seal.  Very easy to change and prolly not a bad idea to do so since its been sitting so long.

good info, I've got the car over to Corey's place(A/C in the garage) I'll tear into her tomorrow again. If it is the front seal I wonder if 20 sec on a 4000 rpm studder would show it. It's a new front case with a brand new seal, but that doesn't mean anything. Well here's hoping.....

As for dad, he's home safe and sound. Doc's got him on some meds(which I don't totally agree with). But overall things are good. To send a line up into a heart and put in a stent is really an amazing thing.

Make sure that crank isn't grooved right where the seal sits on it. Sometimes that rubber seal can actually wear the metal on the snout of the crank and create a groove, thus letting oil by. It's pretty common on higher mileage cranks.
JMoushon
QUOTE (ncgalant @ Jul 27 2008, 07:46 PM)

Installing the stents is what my stepdad does for a living... he's been one of the head cathlab techs at OSF for almost 20 years, amazing technology, although I'm certain it has become far more refined in that time. Hope he does well!
ncgalant
Update: She's still running, but I've still got a BAD oil leak. I think its getting worse now. At this point I'm suspecting the cam seals. I got a baseline chip burned and my base timing set, but my knock sensor is bad( CEL for it). Otherwise it runs well and pulls hard for 7psi.
ncgalant
Well I think(95% sure) I found my leak. I only found it 10% to late. It seems when I pulled off my oil pump pulley the fire time the seal came out and was wedged way back inside. I've been moving that seal from front case to front case with that seal on the pulley. All of that time, the oil pump wasn't sealing. I happend to pull the pulley off and found the entire back side of it busted into little pieces. Looks like I need a new oil pump seal and pulley. Hopefully that does it case I'm about sick of this. I'm just happy the car is still running half way well.
awd4kicks
At least you have put the monster leak to bed. Now you can get serious.
turbohcar
QUOTE (ncgalant @ Aug 14 2008, 09:23 PM)
Well I think(95% sure) I found my leak. I only found it 10% to late. It seems when I pulled off my oil pump pulley the fire time the seal came out and was wedged way back inside. I've been moving that seal from front case to front case with that seal on the pulley. All of that time, the oil pump wasn't sealing. I happend to pull the pulley off and found the entire back side of it busted into little pieces. Looks like I need a new oil pump seal and pulley. Hopefully that does it case I'm about sick of this. I'm just happy the car is still running half way well.

Don't get fed up yet, you just found the problem! biggthumpup.gif
mitsu90
QUOTE (ncgalant @ Aug 14 2008, 09:23 PM)

good deal..

glad it all coming together. if you need a hand with it let me know. biggthumpup.gif
ncgalant
Before I order one, does anyone have an extra oil pump pulley laying around? Mine's in 50 pieces.
ncgalant
Well the oil leak is officially fixed with the new oil pump sprocket and seal. I think that will be the last thing I get done this year. My plan at this point is to pull the car up into the drive and park it for the winter. I've got to get my house ready for the winter so the car's going to have to wait.
93dsmowner
Good to hear it's fixed!

You'll have to spread the tuning love sometime. I'm pickin up a car with a socketed EPROM, Burner, and the software. smile.gif
SCCA Stang
glad you finally got that behind you... good luck with that house!!!
mitsu90
Nate how is the GVR4 doing?
mitsu90
QUOTE (mitsu90 @ Jul 24 2009, 02:19 PM) *
Nate how is the GVR4 doing?

paging ncgalant.. laugh.gif
treydawgs4g63T
yea, let us kno how the galant is doing up to today buddy....

also, when are we gonna be planning this big DSM Gathering? i cant wait for this next race season/ cruise season....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.