Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Work out suppliments
DSMCentral > Forum > General Talk > Non-DSM/Current Events
awd4kicks
I know some of you work out. Have any of you heard of Stemulite? I just came across an add for this stuff a few weeks ago and it was intriguing enough that I ordered some. It was the Dietary Contents information and explanation to how all parts of the suppliment work, that sold me at first.

As most of you know I'm not a huge guy and I'm not a spring chicken either. So the combination of benefits seemed to be just what I was looking for, so I assumed it was probably BS.

After about two and a half weeks of getting back into a workout program with my son Evan, I have to say I'm very pleased. This suppliment packs on additional muscle fiber as opposed to bloating the existing muscle cells like a steroid. I can honestly feel the density of my muscles increasing in the short period of time that I've been working out again. It's crazy. Well it's not crazy, I don't look like Arnold! but it is definitely an improvement. biggthumpup.gif

Here's a link to the their site: here

Once there go to the Dietary Contents / Ingredients page for all the fine details. It seems as though our cells stop transporting the needed signals and nutrients to our body as we get older. This may sound corny, but I've been trying it and so far I've got a feeling that there's something to this stuff. Since Stemulite is supposed to cure this little problem I've been taking full advantage by adding 100% whey protein to my daily intake. So far I've gained in appetite and am losing some fat too.

What are your thoughts, has anyone else tried Stemulite? Any other good suppliments out there?
93dsmowner
Sounds legit. May be worth picking some up.

No personal experience though. All the guys I work out with just 'roid...
akamiami
My immediate thought after reading the name was, "Eric Stemler developed a workout supplement?"

I've worked out off and on for many years and I've never really used many supplements other than creatine. I know that a lot of the stuff works (especially the illegal stuff), but there's always drawbacks like price, diet, and potential health concerns that don't jive with my uber-casual gym approach. Another big drawback is that I've never seen anything that promises results after you stop using it, and who wants to be dependent on a supplement for the rest of their physically fit lifetime?
awd4kicks
All good points Kris.

One of the aussumed benefits based on what I've read is that this product adds muscle fiber to your body. As opposed to 'juicing' the muscle cells with 'roids or water which eventually will drain away so to speak.

Also, there are many other simple health related improvements claimed by this product. Another item which has struck a cord with me is the claim that this suppliment works more at the source rather than acting as a band-aid supliment.

You have to understand this is all information based on the product's propaganda /advertisement. So I'm taking it worth a grain of salt while I test it out.
JBone
I lift weights to tone up any thing that shows after I have been trying to lose weight. I have never used any supplements, and I bet they would help. But, all the extra calories and what not goes against what I'm trying to do.

At first it was to tone, but I found myself lifting a lot more and getting a little bigger. But, I like the fact that it is all me. I think the only things I would ingest is protein. It's natural.

Good luck, Kicks, with it. Now I have to step up the workouts so I can defend myself.

Marcus = BEEFCAAAAAKE!!!!
awd4kicks
Hahaha...I'm hardly beefcake. I am toning up and gaining some muscle mass though. (A lot for 3 weeks or so of work-outs) At the same time I have been losing some fat while taking in more food. So I'm pretty certain that the supplement is increasing my metabolism as advertised.

BTW - I have worked out supplement free besides a std. daily vitamin 90% of my life. So it is not common for me to use anything. I'm not looking for a 'Roid pump. I'm looking for and all around health increase. So far I'm pretty satisfied, but I think the next 3-4 weeks will really tell if it is doing anything or not. I'll keep you posted.
Hornswoggler
I'm no workout expert, but from what I have been reading, it is darn near impossible (or atleast inefficient) to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. From what I understand, if your body is in the starvation mode to burn stored fat, it won't put as much energy into building muscle.

One approach is to do a lean phase first, then work on muscle after. I know this applies to body building, but its probably less of an issue for getting fit or just looking for a little more definition.
awd4kicks
I'm living proof my man. Again, these are not steroids and I'm not HUGE. However, I have experienced muscle growth and I am much leaner than before.

It has something to do with a good balance of 3 day a week 20-30 min. workout with 2 days of 11 mile bike rides. Nothing over the top by any means and I am very happy with the results so far.
natedogg
Unlike some of us Marcus, I don't think you had all that much (if any) fat to lose, you metabolisin' musclebound marvel of a man. biggrin.gif
JBone
Marcus = Juggernaut

Bitch!
awd4kicks
Bwahahaa! Marvel? Are we talking about my metabolism or something else?

Ah never mind...you just keep that between you and me Nate. laugh.gif

Actually I am blown away by how hard it is to ride at an average of 4 minute miles for an entire hill laiden bike ride. I have a good excuse of a 20 year old ten speed in far-from-good shape that is stuck in 5th gear... But I can barely ride at the speed of a top marathon runner and I'm riding less than half the distance!

Those marathon guys are incredible. One of my service techs that used to take part in Triathelons said those Etheopians that run 4 min mile marathons are all bones an lungs weighing in at about 100lbs. I nearly fell over laughing, but they must be to run that far, that fast.

I've considered continuing to push my distance on the bike. Then again I'm not trying to enter any contests, I just want to be more fit.

When I say that I replaced fat with muscle I mean it from the perspective of general body size. For the first 4-6 weeks my arms didn't necessarily get any bigger, but as time wore on less and less of my arm was fat and more became muscle. I know it's common knowledge, but that's the perspective my statement comes from. Same body part size..made up of much more muscle mass. Over the past few weeks muscles have been growing beyond the original confines of my body shape. So that's been much more satisfying.

The Juggernaut is Jbone. You said you were going to start riding a bicycle, have you started yet? You were running your ass off when you were in St. Loui too. You ran further than I ever have.
JBone
Yeah, my goal is to still do an hour of cardio 3x a week, and lift 2x a week. I finally see my arms getting a tiny bit bigger than when I started almost 2 years ago. So, to spice up the cardio, I ride and run. Up at 5400 ft it took almost 6 months to get used to running again. I am getting back to 9:45 -10 min miles for up to 6 miles. Biking I try to do 15 miles or so. I went back down to STL last week to see the fiance'. I did a 4 mile loop in 34 minutes!!! I was so stoked!

I don't look like a guy who runs, which is hilarious, but, I'm doing what I gotta do. I've stayed sub 200 now for almost 2 years (25 lbs loss permanently now). At my absolute best, 9 months after starting, I was 187 with 13% body fat. Drinking has done a good job at gaining 10lbs, but I'm workin' on it.
akamiami
I watched a pretty interesting docu-drama called Bigger, Faster, Stronger that was about anabolic steroid use in recreational weight lifters as well as pro-atheletes and body builders.

I'd recommend a view for anybody that is into weight lifting or even psychology as there were some pretty interesting topics discussed.
awd4kicks
Good job Jbone! Your in better cardio shape than I am. biggthumpup.gif

Kris, I'll have to check that doc out. besides being interested in lifting I've always been intrigued by Psychology and it's extensive use on us in just about every aspect of life.
akamiami
Cool, here's a bit more information for you then...

IMDB Link

Film Trailer

Also, if you torrent, there's a quality file out there on TPB. I was able to download the documentary in less time than it took to watch it.
Booztd 3
QUOTE (JBone @ Oct 10 2008, 10:29 PM)
I don't look like a guy who runs, which is hilarious, but, I'm doing what I gotta do. I've stayed sub 200 now for almost 2 years (25 lbs loss permanently now). At my absolute best, 9 months after starting, I was 187 with 13% body fat. Drinking has done a good job at gaining 10lbs, but I'm workin' on it.

We sound almost identical in regards to physical shape and appearance, lol

I ran some 5k's this year, averaging in the 26 min range (which is about 3.1~ miles)

I have also ran 4 miles in 34 mins, and a few times I've ran 6 miles in just shy of 60 mins.

I have never eclipsed the 200 mark, but I think I got close to 185-190 at my lowest excercise, highest intake point....once i got to 190 I cut out alot of fat and ran my ass off for an entire summer, and lost 20lbs

Currently i sit about 180-185 now depending on how big of a deuce I've taken the evening before I weigh, but i can attribute the 10-15lbs Ive put back on in the last few years, to be mostly muscle
JBone
Boostd,

Keep up the work, man! When I made the 10 min/ mile mark for a 6 mile run, I felt damn near invincible. It's great. Just push yourself a little more each week. I did it in 1/2 mile increments.
Booztd 3
QUOTE (JBone @ Oct 13 2008, 08:17 PM)
Boostd,

Keep up the work, man! When I made the 10 min/ mile mark for a 6 mile run, I felt damn near invincible. It's great. Just push yourself a little more each week. I did it in 1/2 mile increments.

Thats actually how I did it the very first summer I started running

I could barely make it a 1/2 mile before being completely out of breath and hurting.

I would actually run 5 days a week........the first 4 days I would run normal, and the last day of the week I would add a 1/2 mile.

So the first week was

Monday - .5
Tuesday - .5
Wednesday -.5
Thursday -.5
Friday- 1.0

Monday - 1.0
Tuesday - 1.0
Wednesday -1.0
Thursday -1.0
Friday- 1.5

I did this until I got up to 5-6 miles.....it was def a great feeling, but I got tired of it taking over an hour out of my day...Being at work till 5, running for over an hour, then cool-off.......doesnt leave much time for anything else during the day
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.