Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The GSX
DSMCentral > Forum > Project Threads
treydawgs4g63T
Well after months and months of deciding to part her out, then keep her , then part her out , I have decided that im gonna keep the car because i have too much time and money in it to let go to waste. Although i have already gotten rid of most of my accessories and some parts. This just means I will replace with bigger and better items.

After the recent accident of her Blowing up in my face, i have decided to finally put her back together. The damage caused by the over heating was minimal but sucked. The only things hurt by the overheating issue ( other then my Face at the time ) was the thermostat and it cause one of my balance shaft bearings to tear in half and fall out. I though it was my balance shaft that may have warped or split but when i pulled the oil pan off the bearing was laying in the bottom. There are no metal shavings ( thank god ) and im pretty sure everything else is in normal condition. I did install a new head gasket and a different cylinder head just to be safe.

I should have it back up and goin this weekend, but i need to know if my turbo gismo is gonna work. If not, i will have to find me a nice 14b to use for the time being. I still have my exhaust and most of my other mods. The only things i sold were the Joe P. MBC i had and my 16g setup. Also, my headlights and my leather interior. nothing that isnt easily replaced.

Ill get more into depth with the story this weekend after i get her running again....

thanks for looking......
awd4kicks
Good news Treydawg. Get it together!
black92_tsi_awd
Sounds good. If you need help rebuilding a 14b let me know. I'm getting pretty good at it. biggrin.gif
93dsmowner
I have the Joe P. MBC I got from you as well as the 14B.

PM me about the engine/ECU/FMIC
treydawgs4g63T
QUOTE (black92_tsi_awd @ Nov 14 2008, 12:42 PM)
Sounds good. If you need help rebuilding a 14b let me know. I'm getting pretty good at it. biggrin.gif

thanks man. How much is the rebuild kit? also where can you get them from? ive heard of people doing this but never seen it done.
treydawgs4g63T
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Nov 14 2008, 02:09 PM)
I have the Joe P. MBC I got from you as well as the 14B.

PM me about the engine/ECU/FMIC

well i dont need the motor anymore cause my brother bought something else and isnt rebuilding the laser. The FMIC i still want but will have to wait for a few weeks cause ive been buying everything else to get it together. Mite have to hit you up on the turbo though. ill let you know
black92_tsi_awd
QUOTE (treydawgs4g63T @ Nov 14 2008, 04:48 PM)
How much is the rebuild kit? also where can you get them from? ive heard of people doing this but never seen it done.

About $90 I've ordered my kits from Gpop Shop. There are some on Ebay also.

It's not too hard, I've got the micrometers and dial indicators to check the tolerances.

What's wrong with your 14b?
treydawgs4g63T
QUOTE (black92_tsi_awd @ Nov 14 2008, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (treydawgs4g63T @ Nov 14 2008, 04:48 PM)
How much is the rebuild kit?  also where can you get them from?  ive heard of people doing this but never seen it done.

About $90 I've ordered my kits from Gpop Shop. There are some on Ebay also.

It's not too hard, I've got the micrometers and dial indicators to check the tolerances.

What's wrong with your 14b?

its not the 14b that im trying to rebuild. Its my 50 trim (PTE). I cant freakin find a rebuild kit for it though.

I tore it apart already and it seems as if the Bronze bushings are the colprit. Theres a ton of up/down shaft play.

I am also gonna go ahead and rebuild my old 14b as well cause it has the same problem.
treydawgs4g63T
GSX UPDATE 11/16/2008:

Well i spent most of the weekend putting the car back together. Got the balance shaft eliminator installed and all timing is complete. Hung my exhaust back up and installed the new turbo ( my creation for now ). The only thing i hate about the big turbos ( 50 trims, etc ) is the oil return line sucks to make and install. I also bought that badass powder coated valve cover off dakotadsm and it looks awesome under my hood.

After the car is together Im gonna focus on make the engine bay look a little nicer and cleaner. I have got a big box of brand new 10mm bolts ( grade 8 ) metric thread that i have been replacing any bolt under the hood with. They look way better then the old rusty lookin bolts that are stock on our cars.

Since i sold the Enkeis that i was rollin on this past summer i have picked up a set of stock 2g awd 17s that ill use throughout the winter. My buddy Tom has a very nice set of 5 Zigens that im gonna pick up but not gonna use through the winter months. So you will have to wait to see until next Spring.

My plans over the next few months are to just get the 50 trim rebuilt, and drive it through the winter. next spring I will be getting another AFPR ( sold my Aeromotive ) and purchsing DSM LINK. Followed by a DYNO TUNE @ AMS.

thanks for looking and wish me luck.

TJ
black92_tsi_awd
[quote=treydawgs4g63T,Nov 16 2008, 08:22 PM] [/QUOTE]
its not the 14b that im trying to rebuild. Its my 50 trim (PTE). I cant freakin find a rebuild kit for it though. [/quote]
the 50 trim is a T3/T4 turbo I believe. Gpop has rebuild kits for those. I would call or email them. They were very reponsive to my emails.
jdmcivic00
Tj you better get this thing running so I can spank you with the TSi when it makes its appearance in Illinois. I think that are overall record you have always beat me since you sold your turd honda before I got the swap done then barely beat me with the gst. but now we are on an equal playing field again with the exception that yours is automatic but I have confidence in my driving ability gl getting that thing on the road again.
treydawgs4g63T
[quote=black92_tsi_awd,Nov 17 2008, 01:26 PM] [QUOTE=treydawgs4g63T,Nov 16 2008, 08:22 PM] [/QUOTE]
its not the 14b that im trying to rebuild. Its my 50 trim (PTE). I cant freakin find a rebuild kit for it though. [/QUOTE]
the 50 trim is a T3/T4 turbo I believe. Gpop has rebuild kits for those. I would call or email them. They were very reponsive to my emails. [/quote]
its not a t3/t4 housing, its a mitsu housing. bolts right to the stock o2 housing and manifold. I looked it up and im pretty sure its a GT30 76R. Also pretty sure that its a to4e center section and i did find a reubild kit for those. I think ill purchase this rebuild kit and see what happens.

also, i cant get that website to come up....
treydawgs4g63T
QUOTE (jdmcivic00 @ Nov 17 2008, 10:56 PM)
Tj you better get this thing running so I can spank you with the TSi when it makes its appearance in Illinois. I think that are overall record you have always beat me since you sold your turd honda before I got the swap done then barely beat me with the gst. but now we are on an equal playing field again with the exception that yours is automatic but I have confidence in my driving ability gl getting that thing on the road again.

well, just take your time cause the moment it arrives in illinois it will suffer its first defeat....... ( by me ahahahahahahahah ).

I prefer not to talk about our Honda days, what a waste of time and money. We have moved on and lets keep it that way.
treydawgs4g63T
well i got everything together and now im just waiting to buy another FMIC kit. i think im gonna buy my old one back and use it. Theres no way to rig up a stock IC setup with a big turbo. takes to much effort when i could just buy a FMIC.....

So hopefully this weekend it will be back on the streets......

Also, with Black Friday coming up , there are tons of really good deals goin on...... Decisions, decisions
93dsmowner
So when do you want it delivered. Earliest I can manage tomorrow is probably about 6:30 ish.
treydawgs4g63T
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Nov 20 2008, 10:00 PM)
So when do you want it delivered. Earliest I can manage tomorrow is probably about 6:30 ish.

ill let you know
treydawgs4g63T
well i got my old Punsihment racing FMIC back last night so my car should be done today. it would be too big of a pain in the ass to make the stock SMIC work with a bigger turbo so i just went the easy (better) route.

Ill update later on how things turn out.
awd4kicks
biggthumpup.gif Wanna race?
treydawgs4g63T
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Nov 23 2008, 02:50 PM)
biggthumpup.gif Wanna race?

you mean DSM vs. DSM? Bring it..... haha, i dont stand a chance but it would be fun.

I got her running the other day. everything sounds good and i havnt noticed any leaks. I have to wire in my fan and im hooking all my emissions back up just to ensure proper running condition through the winter months.

At the moment i am fighting the DAMN IDLE SURGE.... i have to figure out wat it is and then i will start driving it again.

Also, i have been emailing one of the guys at GPOPSHOP.com and i am shipping them my center cartridge in a couple days.

There is one catch to the race though marcus.... I have been emailing a guy in moline and i might be trading my car for his.....

Its a 1987 toyota Supra TURBO... and he is gonna give me 2500 cash and a complete extra engine w/ turbo. I kinda hope he decides to do it just for the simple fact that i would have the cash to put towards bills and i wouldnt be loosing out much because its also a turbocharged car..

Ill give you guys the updates as i receive them......
spyonu2007
Having owned several of that generation supra turbo targa I can say, without a doubt they are tanks, but fun to drive.
Stock, not fast.. not even close to being fast. Infact, its safe to say that a Dynasty could take one down pretty easily.
treydawgs4g63T
well, thanks for the input dan... deal is prolly gonna fall through anyways so .....

Race IS ON>>>>>>>>
JBone
QUOTE (Dan Boles @ Nov 25 2008, 07:08 PM)
... Infact, its safe to say that a Dynasty could take one down pretty easily.

From back in the Day!!!

biggthumpup.gif
awd4kicks
Hahaha...The 'Nasty!

Yeah, I'm available this weekend. We can take a look at that idle surge and then we can line them up.
treydawgs4g63T
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Nov 26 2008, 07:14 AM)
Hahaha...The 'Nasty!

Yeah, I'm available this weekend. We can take a look at that idle surge and then we can line them up.

well i actually wanna drive it for a few days before i go beatin on it to make sure all is well....

but if you wanna take a little cruise over to my gpas and have a look at it with me ur more then welcome. maybe we could hav a few guys meet up somewhere to have a little gathering this weekend... buffalo wild wings maybe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
awd4kicks
I'm down with that.

Maybe I'll get my big brakes on Friday so I can cruise on the weekend.
93dsmowner
I'll come if invited. smile.gif
treydawgs4g63T
ill let you guys know when ill be goin over to my gpas where the car is at and if you wanna come just let me know and ill giv you directions
awd4kicks
My front brakes are finally upgraded. So I'm ready. Let me know when and where.

I'll be busy tonight but Saturday would be great.
treydawgs4g63T
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Nov 28 2008, 02:43 PM)
My front brakes are finally upgraded.  So I'm ready.  Let me know when and where.

I'll be busy tonight but Saturday would be great.

well i have concluded on the idle surge colprit being one of the sensors on the throttle body..... go figure.

I am also having trouble hooking up my slim line fan. I wired it to the stock wiring harness plug but the damn thing just wont come on. Probably gonna have to wire it to a switch.

Also, i have an axle seal leaking so therfore she cant hit the streets till i change that.

but, if you still wanna cruise over just for something to do tomorrow Marcus I will be over there around 1 or 2.. the addy is 208 sherwood , pekin.
treydawgs4g63T
well i spent like 8 hours on saturday setting and checking all the sensors on the throttle body ( TPS, ISC, LIRS ) I checked the volts and ohms going to each according to the HAYNES manuel and all checked out correct. I did have to adjust the TPS a little bit though, it was reading .39 ohms and was suppose to be at .48-.52 and now its correctly set at .50 ohms and working.

I am currently having trouble with the single sensor on the outside of the throttle body that connects/touches with the throttle actuator. I think its called the Low Idle Return Switch or something like that. it seems to be the culprit. There is one more test that i havent performed and its manuel setting the idle according to a long process in the HAYNES manuel. I will be doing it over the next couple eveings.

I also have a question for you guys... Why wont my SLim Fan turn on when i have it wired to the stock fan harness. I tore the harness off my stock fan and wired in the SLim line and the F'er wont turn on. The engine gets up to running temp and starts to lean toward the other side and it still doesnt turn on. Is there something that i need to do , or should i just wire it to a switch?
spyonu2007
QUOTE (treydawgs4g63T @ Dec 2 2008, 08:39 PM)
well i spent like 8 hours on saturday setting and checking all the sensors on the throttle body ( TPS, ISC, LIRS ) I checked the volts and ohms going to each according to the HAYNES manuel and all checked out correct. I did have to adjust the TPS a little bit though, it was reading .39 ohms and was suppose to be at .48-.52 and now its correctly set at .50 ohms and working.

I am currently having trouble with the single sensor on the outside of the throttle body that connects/touches with the throttle actuator. I think its called the Low Idle Return Switch or something like that. it seems to be the culprit. There is one more test that i havent performed and its manuel setting the idle according to a long process in the HAYNES manuel. I will be doing it over the next couple eveings.

I also have a question for you guys... Why wont my SLim Fan turn on when i have it wired to the stock fan harness. I tore the harness off my stock fan and wired in the SLim line and the F'er wont turn on. The engine gets up to running temp and starts to lean toward the other side and it still doesnt turn on. Is there something that i need to do , or should i just wire it to a switch?

The original fan worked fine?
When you put power to the slim line does it power on?
awd4kicks
I have a SPAL slimline fan wired right into the factory plug. Works fine that way.
treydawgs4g63T
QUOTE (Dan Boles @ Dec 2 2008, 09:15 PM)
QUOTE (treydawgs4g63T @ Dec 2 2008, 08:39 PM)
well i spent like 8 hours on saturday setting and checking all the sensors on the throttle body ( TPS, ISC, LIRS )  I checked the volts and ohms going to each according to the HAYNES manuel and all checked out correct.  I did have to adjust the TPS a little bit though, it was reading .39 ohms and was suppose to be at .48-.52 and now its correctly set at .50 ohms and working.

I am currently having trouble with the single sensor on the outside of the throttle body that connects/touches with the throttle actuator.  I think its called the Low Idle Return Switch or something like that.  it seems to be the culprit.  There is one more test that i havent performed and its manuel setting the idle according to a long process in the HAYNES manuel.  I will be doing it over the next couple eveings.

I also have a question for you guys... Why wont my SLim Fan turn on when i have it wired to the stock fan harness.  I tore the harness off my stock fan and wired in the SLim line and the F'er wont turn on.  The engine gets up to running temp and starts to lean toward the other side and it still doesnt turn on.  Is there something that i need to do , or should i just wire it to a switch?

The original fan worked fine?
When you put power to the slim line does it power on?

yea, when i touch the terminals to the battery it works fine. also, the original fan worked fine that i can remember. Im going to test the circuit tonight.
spyonu2007
If you have verified that the slim line fan works.. (Id let it run a bit and flex the wires) and if it never shuts down, Id start looking up stream..

Though you said the original fan worked ok, perhaps after time has past, the connections at the plug end may have coreoded? If thats ths case, just take a small file and clean them up... Or snip them off, and put on a new set of weather pack type connectors... That way its easy to disconnect.
treydawgs4g63T
UPDATE*

well i figured out the problem with the fan. When i would go to plug the to connectors together the power wire was pushing out and not making a connection. Looks as if the connector had burnt in that location before and the tongs are not holding it in place. So i pulled the power wire out and the wire it connected to on the fan side of the connection and wired them together outside of the connectors. Fan works great now.

also located what i thought was the tranny leak. Come to find out it is my feedline on the turbo. Its leaking down the back of the turbo housing and dripping down on the motor mount and running all over the cross members. That is my last task for this weekend.

I went and got my license plate sticker and put insurance back on it yesterday so ill be driving her this weekend.
black92_tsi_awd
Congrats...electrical gremlins suck.
awd4kicks
biggthumpup.gif
treydawgs4g63T
here are a few pics of the engine bay and turbo.......
treydawgs4g63T
unsure of the brand..... this is the turbo that i created!!

also, thats not where im keeping the coolant overflow tank, just havent found a good spot to relocate to yet...... I have the intercooler piping and the tranny cooler lines running where the stock location is at so i dont know where im going to put it.

Also, the header wrap looked alot better b4 i sold the piping. When i got it back it was all loose and im probably gonna take it off. Possibly get the piping powder coated the same as the valve cover.
dualdj1
just an fyi in case you missed it, that hose coming down off the turbo looks to be pinched off due to sharp angle (oil feed?). Would hate to see that nice shiny homegrown turbo in a melted pile smile.gif
treydawgs4g63T
QUOTE (dualdj1 @ Dec 8 2008, 10:01 AM)
just an fyi in case you missed it, that hose coming down off the turbo looks to be pinched off due to sharp angle (oil feed?).  Would hate to see that nice shiny homegrown turbo in a melted pile smile.gif

yea i know, i havnt replaced it with a different one yet but the crease isnt pinching the hose all the way off. its about a 1/2 inch ID hose and there is still plenty of room for the oil to flow.

thanks anyways......

P.S. thats the oil RETURN......
treydawgs4g63T
well i drove her to work yesterday (pekin to morton) and it seemed to be fine. The idle is still a little out of wack when i first start the car but then settles after the car gets a little warmed up.

You guys were right on the turbo lacking boosting powers. She is definetly a pooch right now. I am gonna send my 50 trim to gpopshop and have it rebuilt here soon. They only charge $375 to rebuild them unless parts need replaced other then what comes in the rebuild kit and i dont think thats gonna take place. I think the seals where just dried up.

My plans now are to drive it like a grandma through the winter months ( or until we get some good amounts of snow) and in early spring purchase DSM link and take it up to AMS for a good tuning.
Dakota_DSM
QUOTE (treydawgs4g63T @ Dec 6 2008, 06:45 PM)
here are a few pics of the engine bay and turbo.......

looks good!
93dsmowner
Hey Travis. Did you ever get that 14B installed? Lemme know if you want the stock exhaust.
treydawgs4g63T
well its been awhile since i posted anything new so here are the most recent issues i am having...

1st- what would be causing my COIL pack to be going out when I romp on my car. The other day i ripped on it pretty good and once it downshifted it started running like shit and threw an engine light. Checked it and the coil pack failed... started running on two cylinders. So i got a new Coil pack and its better again. Any idea why this would have happened? Im thinking of getting an ignition amplifier to help aid with good spark current and less stress on the coil pack!

2nd- What is the torque spec on the ARP head studs (same as stock bolts?) and how in the heck do you torque them down. Theres no way an allen wrench is gonna be strong enough. I lost my papers on them and im in the middle of changing out my cylinder head..

thanks
guys
spyonu2007
The allen wrench just buttoms ths stud out. Then you torque the head nuts.
ARP calls out something like 65ft lb with their lube, you should contact ARP and verify.

Ive seen them stretch if taken to 100+fps
dualdj1
on the coil, other than normal failure, the only thing I'd think that could cause failure is weak voltage/not enough current caused by faulty wiring/corosion/resistance of some sort.

Most stud's I've dealt with are just snug into the block so they won't come out when you loosen the nut, and torque the nuts to the same spec/pattern as factory bolts. Not sure though on your app since the factory bolts are the torque/stretch kind.

here's a thread on dsm tuners about it, not sure how much help it is:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-h...stall-help.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.