Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 93dsmowners Cavalier
DSMCentral > Forum > Project Threads
93dsmowner
Alright sounds good.

I just got a full exhaust (header, cat delete, catback) for the Cavalier along with an intake, intake mani, cams and supporting valvetrain, and forged internals for it (11:1 compression). My mom and dad said no to the Talon after I hit that deer so I got the Cavalier for an autocrosser now...
dualdj1
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Nov 14 2008, 11:20 PM)
Alright sounds good.

I just got a full exhaust (header, cat delete, catback) for the Cavalier along with an intake, intake mani, cams and supporting valvetrain, and forged internals for it (11:1 compression). My mom and dad said no to the Talon after I hit that deer so I got the Cavalier for an autocrosser now...

Autocrossing a Cav eh? What year? I've got a 98 4 door stock pretty much bare (no power windows/seats,etc), and always thought it'd be a nice light autocrosser except for the rear suspension. What do you think of them? Any experience throwing a turbo on one? (another one of my project ideas...)
93dsmowner
2003 with the L61 Ecotec.

It has:
Tsudo 4-2-1 Header (2.25" Outlet to catback)
No Cat
Top Speed Performance Catback (2.5")

When I get the funds, it's going to a Wiseco/Eagle combo with a lightened/balanced crankshaft, my DSM 450cc injectors, and E85 tuned with HPTuners.

I'm shooting for a 300fwhp n/a high compression monster. I'm considering destroking it to 2.0L so I can rev it real high.

It's not too bad. I raced a Honda Prelude with an H22 in it and he didn't pull on me until 3rd which is sad considering the ~50hp advantage although I had around a 400lb advantage.

I mean, as much as I'd love to take the stuff off my Talon and make it work, I want N/A for the sheer purpose of no lag under the curve power.

My current wish list consists of a lot.

Namely:
Wiseco/Eagle Combo
Destroke it to 2.0L or bore and stroke to 2.5L (Depends on what it would take)
DSM 450cc injectors
HPTuners
Tein SuperSport Coilovers with Pillowball mounts.
17"x9" wheels
Addco Sways front and rear, lots and lots of bracing everywhere.
And more..

Like I said, these are just ideas being thrown around but I got the car given to me. Has 100k miles on the Ecotec with the 4t40e. I want to 5spd swap it as well.

I need a better job... smile.gif
93dsmowner
UPDATE:

The headers are on and the cat deleted.

My god is this thing loud... like 1.8L Eclipse with a fart can and straight piping loud.

Seemed choked on fuel. Reset the ECU so the fuel trims reset... will have to wait and see. I want to put my DSM injectors and E85 in so bad...
dualdj1
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Nov 17 2008, 10:17 PM)
I need a better job... smile.gif

Don't we all lol.

One of my buddies owns an engine shop in Fairbury. I need to check with him and see if he's got the equip to do boring work. I know that was on his list of things he wanted to get, but not sure if he's got it yet. Will let you know if he's got it/how much he's charging next time I talk to him.
93dsmowner
Bore and stroke with Darton sleeves would make a huge help for my goal.

I tossed in 1/4 tank E85 (21.25% Ethanol) and goodness did it pick up
dualdj1
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Nov 20 2008, 02:17 PM)
Bore and stroke with Darton sleeves would make a huge help for my goal.

I tossed in 1/4 tank E85 (21.25% Ethanol) and goodness did it pick up

E85 is 85% ethanol (and if not you're getting ripped off) tongue.gif

When we had a suponsorship from the illinois corn growers, we ran E95. Mixture is somewhere in between gas and methanol, almost exactly midway between, and it runs way cooler. But you also tend to burn more of it. Overall was a good fuel though, don't have to worry about the corrosiveness of methanol, or getting water in your tank since Ethanol will absorb it.

The only reason they don't sell E100 is it would fall under the liquor tax if it didn't have some percentage of gasoline.
93dsmowner
I know. I said 21.25% ethanol because I only had a quarter tank of it. So divide 85 by 4 to get 21.25.

Math for the win smile.gif

Anyways, if I go E85 I should be able to do high compression (12:1?) so we'll see. Gotta get the $$$...
93dsmowner
hmm.... I'm beginning to rethink my goal here...

300whp is going to be rough ($$$) naturally aspirated but not too bad with a supercharger/turbocharger...

The idea of a 14b Ecotec is sounding better and better every day...
treydawgs4g63T
Why not just leave the Cavi alone as a good daily driver with great gas mileage and buy something else to toy with........????

Its to hard to have a car the is daily driven and constantly tinkered with. ( i learned the hard way)
spyonu2007
Somone more wise than I once said...

Never make your daily driver a racecar.
black92_tsi_awd
Amen brother!

If you can't make it to work...you can't pay for the car.
awd4kicks
I like the way 93' thinks for a 15/16 year old. Very well read 'internet-wise'. I do agree that you should make a race car separate from your daily driver. If for no other reason than to free up your decisions on how to prepare the race car rather than limiting it to street duty.
93dsmowner
Yeah... not bad for 16 eh? smile.gif

Meh, I think I'm going to slap the GM Supercharger on it and call it a day.

Then there's the next day... smile.gif
93dsmowner
Full engine mounts being ordered tomorrow. Here I come vibration-city!

Then I think I'm going to start on the suspension and brakes..

Tein SuperSports with either Addco or Eibach sways, bracing bracing bracing all around, and SS Brake Lines on the brakes with high performance pads in front. I can definitely feel heat build up in the brakes in the twisties.

Insurance money+Selling my TRE Trans=Fun things for the Cavalier.

I can walk to work (Like 2 blocks away) and get rides to/from school so making my DD into a fun car is no big deal. Just inconvenience but it's worth it. Gotta redo my O2 sensor wiring though. smile.gif)
dualdj1
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Nov 21 2008, 11:39 AM)
I know. I said 21.25% ethanol because I only had a quarter tank of it. So divide 85 by 4 to get 21.25.

Math for the win smile.gif

Anyways, if I go E85 I should be able to do high compression (12:1?) so we'll see. Gotta get the $$$...

Well.. TECHNICALLY... If you had regular pump gas in the extra 3/4, it'd be like 28.75%, as most all standard gas now has 10% tongue.gif

lol what was that about keeping it a decent daily driver? Engine vibration != comfortable driving wink.gif
93dsmowner
Yeah this is true. However, BP doesn't say whether there is ethanol in its gas. Only Invigorate!

smile.gif

Yeah, it's like a massage but better!

I'm going to hold off on the trans mount since it's auto-only and I'm looking to 5spd swap it...
dualdj1
if you do that swap, let me know how difficult it is. I've swapped to manual on a few different cars before, and wouldn't mind doing it with the cav; the differential in my auto is getting kinda loose, and with a 5 speed i could probly bump up to 40mpg smile.gif
93dsmowner
I can get 40mpg in my Auto. smile.gif I hate driving like that. It's getting a Shift Kit from B&M in the meantime though.

Waiting for the $$$ to supercharge it and get a Tein SS suspension underneath it but it's all good.

Gotta find a donor car. Find me a donor for a decent price and I'll do it. I have the welder and whatnot required. smile.gif
SCCA Stang
if you are going to autocross it, they do sell a rear disc brake conversion for it and someone makes a IRS for it too...

check these sites out
www.clubcav.com
www.jbody.org
93dsmowner
I already belong to JBO. I'll check out ClubCav. I know they have big brake kits, rear disc conversions...

Howveer, I didn't know about the IRS... thanks for the tip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.