Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project Ricer Flyby.
DSMCentral > Forum > Project Threads
Pages: 1, 2
spyonu2007
1.8 liters of unadulterated torqueless rice.

Should be a radical change from my other cars. Always liked how these were literally weightless from the get go, and make decent power.. This one sports the venerable B18C1 engine... 180hp of high revving fury. Those "smart cars" better watch out!

and 302 powered rx-7's
awd4kicks
Nice looking car Dan. I REALLY like the paint shop black wheel covers! Seriously nice looking!

The V8 RX-7 OWNZ U! biggthumpup.gif
spyonu2007
Bring it on OLD DIRTY!
93dsmowner
I'm not a big fan of Honda by any means but I do respect a good engine when I see one (B18, 4g63, EG33, L61 Ecotec, etc)

Now I want to see a high compression boosted B18 in a gutted FWD race car. smile.gif

By high comp I mean like 10.5:1 - 11:1... smile.gif
spyonu2007
10.5:1 - 11:1... and booost... hmmm. (boom)
JBone
I bet you could slap one of your spare turbos on there and have some awesome fun. Do you still have any of the 13gs or 9bs from shamou? A 9b on that would add some much needed torque and probably fair pretty well with the higher compression of the VTEC
spyonu2007
Like I ever throw anything away...
Hate to ditch the full exhaust and dc header though.
spyonu2007
You are right though... even a 14b on this thing, it would straight come alive... Its allready traction impared in first...

I plan to run some HPde events this year in it.
93dsmowner
There is an EM1 on Youtube... 13.5:1 comp and like 10psi of boost?

So sick.. big power on low boost.

Yeah I have a full turbo setup out of the Talon that I could incorporate into a turbo build on my car. Just don't have the funds sad.gif
Kazz5
As I said elsewhere, bring it. My 1.8 liter 2zzge needs fed...
spyonu2007
QUOTE (Kazz5 @ Jan 30 2009, 08:56 AM)
As I said elsewhere, bring it. My 1.8 liter 2zzge needs fed...

Deal!
Winner pays for lunch.
spyonu2007
Well... today was a fun day.. I got up, started the car, went out for a spin and wound it out full tilt.... For a NA 1.8 liter, Im really shocked at the top end that this has... Im pretty suprised really.

So.. after talking with Cool & James (both reknowned honda gurus) we have a plan... I have to clean a spot in the garage, but this thing is about as cut and dry as they come to tuning..

Hard to get me excited these days, but I feel pretty good about the way this car is going already.
JBone
...And what way IS this going?
93dsmowner
QUOTE (Dan Boles @ Jan 31 2009, 06:33 PM)
Well... today was a fun day.. I got up, started the car, went out for a spin and wound it out full tilt.... For a NA 1.8 liter, Im really shocked at the top end that this has... Im pretty suprised really.

So.. after talking with Cool & James (both reknowned honda gurus) we have a plan... I have to clean a spot in the garage, but this thing is about as cut and dry as they come to tuning..

Hard to get me excited these days, but I feel pretty good about the way this car is going already.

Not bad for a lil N/A 4 banger eh?

The Ecotec has more low end but Honda engines are awesome up top. smile.gif
spyonu2007
QUOTE (JBone @ Jan 31 2009, 08:15 PM)

Nothing short of Daily Driver Domination.
The epic race of the slow cars we depend on day in and day out to get us here and there.

Coming soon, to an empty airport near you.
awd4kicks
QUOTE (Dan Boles @ Feb 1 2009, 04:20 PM)

The epic race of the slow cars we depend on day in and day out to get us here and there.

Hmmm... Sounds good. I think my 6000lb truck should be able to hang with the Integra better than it did with the TA terror.
spyonu2007
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Feb 1 2009, 10:51 AM)

Hmmm... Sounds good. I think my 6000lb truck should be able to hang with the Integra better than it did with the TA terror.

After dialing back the fuel pressure to where it was supposed to be, this thing is nothing short of fun.. and your truck has nothing for it.
Kazz5
WTF was wrong with the fuel pressure???
spyonu2007
One of the previous owners installed an AEM AFPR on it, had it so rich, I was fogging mosquitos.

Now, its nice and lean.. and mean.. and your fucked btw.. Im going to slice and dice that celica like a pink taco recieving a labiaectomy... lol.

Did some more investigating, and after talking with the owner that traded it in, this car has all sorts of stuff done to it allready.

This car sports a queef/quaif differential in the transmission. A full suspension, dc 4 into 1 header and caback..

That would account for the double lines of tread left down the street in first.
So.. Kazz... When you ready to get schooled again?
JBone
A DC Header and catback will probably only get you 5-7 hp more. Intake pipe, catback, header, and cam gears will get you closer to 12 more hp. Those Honda motors are seriously squeezed for the hp.
spyonu2007
Since thats already done for my, my budget is open for cams and a tune..
If I end up pulling the head off, perhaps Ill have portholio work his magic on it.
awd4kicks
QUOTE (Dan Boles @ Feb 1 2009, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Feb 1 2009, 10:51 AM)

After dialing back the fuel pressure to where it was supposed to be, this thing is nothing short of fun.. and your truck has nothing for it.

So your saying this Honda is as fast as your TA? Hmmm, I don't doubt that it's fun, but I'll have to get beat soundly below 98 mph where my speed limiter is, to believe it. ph34r.gif
JBone
Don't you have a nitrous kit? I remember Kurth had a 75hp wet kit on his. Gave your FWD quite a workout if I remember correctly... btw- he found the error of his ways and turbo'd it a while back.
badbu68
I think it needs a turdblo and e85.
spyonu2007
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Feb 1 2009, 10:49 PM)
Is it as fast as the TA?

Ah.. Now Marcus... Where as the TA is nothing but massive tire spin in the first four gears, this will actually have traction after second, so... in a way, it may be faster.. For it puts all that torqueless power to the ground..

Nothing like the present to give it a try.
Ill chalk you up as another contender for the
Tripple D challenge.
Kazz5
Currently wearing snows. But we have a date when I fix that. Just an intake and ported exhaust here. Tune shortly. Oh, and the LSD's going in as we speak.
spyonu2007
QUOTE (Kazz5 @ Feb 2 2009, 09:28 AM)
Currently wearing snows. But we have a date when I fix that. Just an intake and ported exhaust here. Tune shortly. Oh, and the LSD's going in as we speak.

Blub blub blub....

This is a daily driver showdown, when the weather goes to the 50's.
Im not running drag rubber either, so dont swet it.. Your going down farmer brown.
awd4kicks
I'm down with that...

I think sitting too close to the road in 1800lb. car has given you the illusion of speed just like it has so many kids around the world. cool.gif
awd4kicks
Honestly the Teg should do pretty well considering it has 2/3 of the HP of my truck and only 1/3 of the weight. As usual I will be happy to find out in person as soon as possible. biggthumpup.gif
spyonu2007
Sounds good. Looks likes we got some races already to go. First its 2600 lbs. It makes probably 190hp tops. I think it should be entertaining
awd4kicks
Yeah the truck actually weighs in around 5600lb's with the side steps with 300HP and 360ft/lbs of torque when new.

So the Teg is a little less than half the weight, with roughly 2/3 the HP. Torque may be a whole different story.
spyonu2007
Well, Ive heard Torque is what wins races.. All I know is this thing has to be well above five grand to make power, but makes it soundly to the stock revlimit.
That being said, Im really looking forward to this.

Re-reading through the thread.
Jbone_ Kurth never beat any fwd Ive owned. Though he would of killed the laser rst, we never raced against that one. However he did destroy the spyrocket when it was on a stock smic and 14b. It wasnt pretty. Infact that was what spurred me to switch to the evo3 16g, and darkside front mount.
wortdog
Torque torque torque . . . means nothing.

For drag racing, it all comes down to HP, the right gearing, and traction.
dualdj1
QUOTE (Dan Boles @ Feb 3 2009, 07:08 AM)
Well, Ive heard Torque is what wins races..

Torque put to the ground wins races, so I'd have to revise and say Torque with Traction Control wins races smile.gif Mostly the reason the top fuel'ers run huge v8's with centrifugal clutches, gotta get that power to the ground.

Make sure and let us know when this is goin down. I gotta see this cool.gif
awd4kicks
QUOTE (wortdog @ Feb 4 2009, 07:55 PM)
Torque torque torque . . . means nothing.

For drag racing, it all comes down to HP, the right gearing, and traction.

Hahaha... Damn Eric, why don't you tell us how you really feel? laugh.gif

Sounds like maybe you've been having a few too many discussions about torque vs. HP with the car geeks, because I haven't seen anyone make a huge point out of it here.

For god sake we champion 4 cylinders, so we can't be too hung up on it. tongue.gif

But DSM's have way more torque than POS Hondas. j/k
spyonu2007
TRUE!
wortdog
Haha, it's just a pet peeve, don't mind me. ph34r.gif
Hornswoggler
maybe formula 1 cars should start building for torque? blink.gif
dualdj1
Sorry I'm most used to short track racing rolleyes.gif
natedogg
Don't make me break out a lesson in classical physics. biggrin.gif
spyonu2007
She runs out pretty nice, just put on some wheels, with decent rubber. Drove it all over gods creation today. This thing buzzes right along at 80mph and I swear the fuel gage hasnt moved.
awd4kicks
This thread is useless without more pics!
spyonu2007
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Feb 11 2009, 05:39 PM)
This thread is useless without more pics!

True!
Ill see if I can fix that!
spyonu2007
Well, with the absolutely beautiful weather I was out to put some seat time in the new to me integra. Been fixing issues as they present themselves. Bled the brakes, fixed a cv boot. Replaced an exhaust gasket, new valve cover gasket, plugs etc.

I forgot how funny torque steer was to encounter, and even more so with an engine that really doesnt make much in that department.

The cruise started off as most do.. Slow, effortless.. Windows down, 62 degrees, and dry roads.
This was the first time to really throw this car into some twisties without concern for road conditions.

The new rims and tires bite in better than the steelies, and though I prefer an RWD set up over fwd, this little pocket rocket does make it an entertaining drive. Running down through one of the promenant winding roadways here in Central Illinois I came up on the backside of a silver porsche boxer. It was clear that he was out for the same purpose.

I swept up behind from a decent straightaway. The road was to ver hard to the right and into a slightly tighter left.., and then another straight.. He saw me running him down in the straight and I heard him downwshift coming into the corner.

Cinders are a bitch. FWD, RWD, AWD... That shit may work wonders on snow, but makes for some slippery conditions, I anticipated it, living in this area for nearly 40 years, I suppose thats a lesson learned some time ago.. The porsche owner got a little loose but managed to keep it all on the road.

I dropped back a hair... then thought..**** it. On the track I dont tend to push or bully folks, but with things they are these days, I might as well see what the little teg has on the edge.

So, slapping the well sorted GSR transmission down into second, I let the R's climb and the distance between me an the boxer was again way too close for his comfort... Another straightaway... The porsche owner extended me a one finger salute and sprinted away a few car lengths.. **** man.. Thats the stuff I miss about being in the TA, or the EVO.. Especially the EVO.. Pulling away from me in a straightaway? IT takes more car than this pompus porsche owner's ride to do that...

Then again, it pushed me to push harder into the next turn.. I waited to brake... The porsche owner was slowing for the next right hander, and I stayed on the gas... Then it became apparent... This GSR may be a gutless wonder hp/torque wise, but its brakes are phenominal. Coupled with the chassis feather weight lightness, I would dare to compare its ability to stop on par with my evo on the stock pads and rotors... Not too shabby really..

Being right back in the backside of the boxer and applying ample throttle all the way through the corner, yet still not enough to ignite the inside tire.. ( a commonality on the old GST I used to flog daily)... However, what lack luster power the GSR is making, it is putting ALL OF IT down, with limited drama.. This time, I let the rpms climb all the way up to 8600 before shifting back to third..

Perhaps the Boxter pilot's nerve was lost, or maybe this car makes way more power shifting at 8k plus vs the 6000 I was shifting, either way, the porsche wasnt pulling away as before....

Coming near the half way point of the current straight, the boxer started tapping his brakes.. Looking ahead, my worst fears are realized....

There in the road... Bambi... The boxter swings into the oncoming traffic lane, I stand on the brakes. The deer looks right at me. Takes two steps and leaps out of the way, right as I coming shreiking by... WOO HOOO.. Close one, Hate to see what a deer would do to the front end of this car, but there was no time to wait.. The boxer was getting away, and that just wouldnt do...

Slapping the fun pedal home, and just nicking the revlimiter, the chase was on.. Like the last series of turns, the Porsche commuters nerve wasnt in it for the upcoming curve, and there I was...

We both pulled off to deflate and get aquainted.
He is a local business owner, and the car is a 2006 Boxter. This is a non S modle, making something around 230-240hp (his claim). He was really jacked up after the deer, rightfully so. My own adrenale glands were finally off line and hunger set in.

We chatted for a while, he seemed semi interested in the integra, and what had been done to it. Probably trying to come to terms on how a lesser car hung with him in the twisties.. I popped the hood and showed off some of the goodies. Not that there is really anything to see.. Perhaps that was my point.. To drive home that there was no power adder... just a little itty bitty 4 banger in a light ass car, with better than average suspension.

I use the hear some other road race fans speak of a momentum car.
I think during this little excursion, I finally figured out what that is... Late breaking, level headed throtttle application through the turns and just keeping that whole speed thing building.

This year is going to be fun.
Kazz5
Nice story - must be nice to be on something other than snows, too. *Laugh* My drive is SO squirmy on these things.

Light little carvers are a gas - especially when they rev over 8000, too.

See ya on the road some day, Dan... biggthumpup.gif
spyonu2007
awd4kicks
Nice finishing touch dude! I like the wheel selection.
Booztd 3
Integras are fun cars for sure.....I remember doing alot of cruising (and work) on amanda's back in the day

I was also searching for a 97-98 pretty hard in the summer when I was looking for a better DD and wanted something more sporty.
spyonu2007
QUOTE (Booztd 3 @ Feb 16 2009, 12:18 PM)
Integras are fun cars for sure.....I remember doing alot of cruising (and work) on amanda's back in the day

I was also searching for a 97-98 pretty hard in the summer when I was looking for a better DD and wanted something more sporty.

Its fun. I have a few finishing touches to do to it, and then Kick Carters ass (rx-8) kick kazz's ass (celica), destroy ODT's Truck...

Then we shall see what happens from there...
Wouldnt mind picking on some 14b powered dsm's on a road course.
Cough...chris...cough...lange....cough...
Kazz5
Better bring the spray...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.