Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Change Shop reviews
DSMCentral > Forum > General Talk > Non-DSM/Current Events
awd4kicks
Through the years I have paid to have my oil changed a scant handful of times. With this truck, I have found changing the oil filter to be a huge pain in the ass and an oily mess Which has made me consider paying for an oil change. So tonight I went by Uftring in Washington, because I had received a free oil change coupon back a few months ago and they seemed to do ok.

Well, it's a Hell of a difference when you have to pay. I walked out of the door paying just over $37 to change 6 quarts of oil and a filter. They told me the base oil change price was 29.95 and that mine would cost a little more because it would take an extra quart of oil. Even though that was about $3-$5 higher than I expected, I was already there and it needed to be done. The extra quart with tax ended up costing me an additional $7 I guess.

When I worked at Saturn we changed oil for the mid $20 range, but we also washed the car and offered other services. I received neither of these for the higher price I paid at Uftring. I do NOT foresee myself going back there.

Who else can provide a review of local oil change shops. I don't like the idea of having some high school drop out work on my vehicles at the quick lube joints. Still, I am interested to see what everyone thinks about other shops in the area.
93dsmowner
Service Auto NAPA in Washington. I work there. smile.gif
JBone
Yeah, Uftrings is a POS place for anything IMO.
I went to Tony & Sons before I went to SloPny. There's a reason I went to SloPny.

So, I can't really recommend any others. My buddy really likes Neal Tire in Washington, but I can't agree with him on them either.

Best of luck finding somewhere, buddy.
spyonu2007
This motherF@#$er Dan Boles did a oil change in my drive way.
FU@#$ spilled oil all over the god derned concrete and then dumped some used cat litter on it.

That Somanabisch.
awd4kicks
laugh.gif
akamiami
lol.

I've always thought that it would be a good business idea to run a service that people can hire to come to their home and do preventative maintenance for cars. Stuff like oil changes, replace wiper blades, flush coolant, change simple belts and hoses. I wouldn't have to be anything complicated, just the bread and butter stuff that Jiffy Lube and those types of shops do.

An enterprising individual could get a panel van, stock it up with the basic tools and supplies and just cruise around town doing ultra-simple shadetree type stuff.
Kazz5
There are mobile oil change companies - will do it while you're at work, parked in the parking lot. Dunno how popular they are anymore.

I use the Pennzoil-based place here in Normal on College over lunch so I can enjoy the Godfather's pizza buffet. *Laugh* Because both cars take synthetic, they love me. Costs over $50 per visit for either the Evo or the Celica. They check things, but are sometimes stupid. Drove around for a couple of days with all four tires at 40psi twice. That was a while back. Been pretty good since.

But, the benefits are cool. If they don't have huge turnover, that is. That's a problem. This place has seen me for many months. That 100+ mile daily commute adds up to 3K miles in a hurry. But, I took the Celica in the other day with 3-4 qts of synchromesh and asked him if they could just fill it for me and I'd happily pay the labor. When I got back the guy told me it was on the house, no charge, since I do so much synthetic business with 'em!

There have definitely been places over the years that have scared the crap outta me. Again, those are usually places with huge turnover. That dripping on the driveway gets old in a New York minute. Nobody's ever cross-threaded a pan (yet), at least!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.