Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project Black Golfball-plans for 2009
DSMCentral > Forum > Project Threads
black92_tsi_awd
Thought I'd post up some recent fabrication picture. This is the lower intercooler pipe I made up in the spring and a picture of a tubing beader I made off a post on Tuners. Works pretty good and gives your hand a workout.

I've got pictures of the new upper pipe with my Tial BOV somewhere...
black92_tsi_awd
I've been thinking of dumping the test pipe and cat back exhaust and welding up a side dump in front of the rear tire. Couple of reasons, my cat back system has got some years on it and is rusting pretty good and I'd like to dump some weight for the track.

Anybody have some experience with Dynomax Ultra Flow bullets or Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers? Are the relatively quiet in normal driving? Kicks, arn't you running a Moroso?
awd4kicks
QUOTE (black92_tsi_awd @ Aug 23 2009, 02:24 AM) *
I've been thinking of dumping the test pipe and cat back exhaust and welding up a side dump in front of the rear tire. Couple of reasons, my cat back system has got some years on it and is rusting pretty good and I'd like to dump some weight for the track.

Anybody have some experience with Dynomax Ultra Flow bullets or Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers? Are the relatively quiet in normal driving? Kicks, arn't you running a Moroso?

Yeah, I'm running the Moroso Spiral. It's good step less obnoxious that the straight through fiberglass packed muffler that I used to use. I wouldn't call it quiet, but I've never gotten a ticket while using the spiral.
black92_tsi_awd
Do you have a resonator on the tip? Your exhaust note is pretty nice. Might have to go with the Moroso.

Did my pictures show up? The thumbnails have a X, but seem to pop up when you click on them.
black92_tsi_awd
Heres a couple more shots. First the new upper intercooler pipe for the Tial BOV. The other is a heat shield I whipped up over the last couple nights. Still have to clean it a little an shoot it with some high temp flat black.
dualdj1
not sure what's up with the thumbs, but yeah pics come through fine.

Nice work!
black92_tsi_awd
Thanks.

Here's it painted. Got to smell burning paint all the way to work today. I forgot to wipe off my figerprints, I think they're now permantly burned into the paint! blink.gif
awd4kicks
QUOTE (black92_tsi_awd @ Aug 24 2009, 03:17 PM) *
Do you have a resonator on the tip? Your exhaust note is pretty nice. Might have to go with the Moroso.

Did my pictures show up? The thumbnails have a X, but seem to pop up when you click on them.

No resonator on my exhaust. I welded on an RRE dual 2.5" tip tail pipe to the spiral muffler to continue the cars illusion of stock appearance.
black92_tsi_awd
Going to try to hit the track again this Friday. Last Friday got rained out.
Should be really good air. Took it out yesterday and had to give it 10% more fuel to fatten it up some. Pulled really good so maybe I can get a new fastest time Friday.
black92_tsi_awd
Finally got the trans apart from the Vicary Day weekend. Shattered a shit fork. Going to have to clean all the bearings, there's aluminum all through the case. Need a new clutch also.
awd4kicks
I've broken a LOT of stuff, but I can't say that I've ever done that one. You must be using the Spyonu2007 power punch shifting method.
natedogg
QUOTE (black92_tsi_awd @ Nov 10 2009, 09:08 AM) *
Shattered a shit fork.

Yeah, I've never shattered a shit fork either. A few shift forks sure. But never a shit fork.
black92_tsi_awd
QUOTE (natedogg @ Nov 15 2009, 11:14 AM) *
Yeah, I've never shattered a shit fork either. A few shift forks sure. But never a shit fork.

Wow...breaking a shit fork stinks!
Patterson353
Looks good Chris. Good luck with the tranny.
black92_tsi_awd
Found me a trans. Darryl's backup. Rebuilt with a double syncro second gear and a welded center diff.

Now I just need to find a clutch.
Patterson353
Is the pressure plate bad? I have a bran new act clutch disc if your in need of just the disc.
black92_tsi_awd
Yeah, the pressure plate is coned when you lay a straight edge across it. After talking to Darryl, that what was probably cause my car to creep through the light when putting it on the stutter.

Now that I think about it, I probably need another flywheel. This ones been resurfaced twice I think. Anybody know how many time you can resurface the flywheel?
awd4kicks
Until they cant get the correct step height.
black92_tsi_awd
I've already got the shift fork shimmed. I wonder how much flywheel machining affects the clutch engagment. Seems to me the more you machine the flywheel, the clutch fingers get further away from the TOB/clutch fork. So you'd have to shim more to get proper engagement.

I had to shim mine because the adjustment nut on the master cylinder was out almost all the way.

I did get my new (slightly used) trans last night, thanks Darryl! So hopefully she'll be back together this weekend. I'm just going to put the old clutch back in for now. Untill I can afford a new setup.
black92_tsi_awd
Ok I swapped the old shift fork and ball from my old trans to the new one. Including the shim I was using on the ball. See the attched picture for the shift fork location with the TOB pushed up against the clutch fingers. The silver tick marks are the center of the opening. According to RRE Clutch Info you want the fork the the drivers side of center. Mine looks waaay over. Does this look right to you guys?
Patterson353
I did mine a long time ago and had to pull the tranny 2 more times before i figured out that i needed to put a few washers behind the ball where the clutch fork pivots. I got pulling the tranny down to a science. Are you using the longer piston in the slave?
black92_tsi_awd
So I pulled the trans back out and installed the first part of the old housing (that trans is still disassembled-thankfully) with the shift fork assembled....the shift fork ended up in the same position as the picture above. So in other words I was worried for nothing!

So I decided to try to determine how much shim it takes to move the shift fork a certain distance.

Starting with no shim under the ball:
a .047 thick washer moved the fork about 3/32 toward the drivers side
a .064 thick washer moved the fork about 3/16 toword the drivers side

I ended up putting the .047 shim in, not the .064 shim I had previously installed. Previously, I had a little TOB chirping with the clutch out, so I thought it might be a little tight.

Anyway, I did get the car running last night! Did beat on it to hard. Wanted to make sure there was no leaks.

The welded diff makes it sound like a 4x4 on the pea gravel around my house as it drags it self around the corners.
dualdj1
guessing this is a drag only if you have a welded diff? biggrin.gif
black92_tsi_awd
Getting to be more drag only every year... laugh.gif

I figure if Kicks can drive around with a welded center diff, so can I!
Patterson353
Sweet!! Glad to hear you got her back on the road laugh.gif
awd4kicks
Mine's actually a billet spool, but same result. Thumbs up to ya buddy!
dualdj1
Is the spool/welding just in the rear diff?
awd4kicks
It's in the center diff. before the output shaft to the transfer case. So it locks the front and rear together to split the power evenly front to back. My front and rear diffs are both still stock open units.
dualdj1
ahhhh, i gotcha, awesome.
black92_tsi_awd
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Dec 3 2009, 11:03 PM) *
It's in the center diff. before the output shaft to the transfer case. So it locks the front and rear together to split the power evenly front to back. My front and rear diffs are both still stock open units.

I thought the back diff on ours was a limited slip "vicous" setup.
natedogg
It is. Kicks is just gettin up there in age. Startin to forget things. Senility is kicking in. smile.gif
dualdj1
lol, if he's getting senile already, then i'm in serious trouble blink.gif
awd4kicks
Yeah it's senility and all that Captain Morgain I drink doesn't help either.... wacko.gif
black92_tsi_awd
Yeah, the Captain's going to get you! laugh.gif

Just got done hitting the Southern tonight...not enough to do any real damage though. Unfortunantly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.