Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Evan's BMW hasa rod knocking
DSMCentral > Forum > General Talk
awd4kicks
Yep, I got the bad news earlier today. The 2.5 24 valve straight six in Evans 1992 325i gave up ater a mear 140k miles.

So we are in the market for a replacement engine or car. unfortunately he still owes around three grand on this chick magnet. So throwing it to the wolves is not an option.

Rizzo may be able to help me out with a used car that has a running engine in it. I just thought I would throw this out there to se ifanyone had any other ideas.

To help fund the repair I am offering up a couple items for sale:
The 2nd generation RX-7 / V8 project for $800 obo with a running 302 V8 that needs put in the car and finished.
Corn and wood pellet burner to cut your heating bill this winter... $1,400 obo (New price was $2700 they cost more now for this size.)
Of corse the Talon could be purchased for the right price... it may go cheaper than I should let it go for since I think it needs the head replaced.

Hit me up let me know if you have any ideas or if you are interested in any of my treasured items.
Patterson353
Damn i would love to buy that corn boiler!!!! Its just to damn close to Christmas. Is it in use now?
awd4kicks
I used it for two years and this will be the second winter in a row that I haven't used it. My house is just too big and inefficient for the corn burnr to keep up.
Patterson353
There is a guy i work with that may be interested. I'll talk to him tomorrow.
awd4kicks
Much appreciated.
dualdj1
are you willing to part with the 302 separate? One of my dad's workers is repairing a mustang that had a bad motor and is looking for one. They were also looking for an auto trans with it too, think you said that one was a 5 speed though right?

And any possibility of repairing the motor? Turning/replacing crank and new rod?
Hornswoggler
I saw this on Evan's facebook the other day, sorry to hear. sad.gif

I made the suggestion to shop for an S50 engine from 1995 M3. I hear it literally drops right in, but worth a search on bimmerforums to find a how-to and parts list. The S50 US (not to be confused with the S50 the rest of the world got...), puts out 240 bhp (from the 325's 190 bhp) and around 225 torque. I posted him an ebay link that included parts for a 5-speed swap. Less drivetrain loss and much more engaging with the manual. It would literally feel 2x faster (not sure the engine/tranny was in great shape when I drove it either).

By the time you factor in clutch and flywheel, it could add up. I bet you could do the whole motor and 5-speed swap for $3-4k. Probably a lot more than you want to spend right now, but might be worth considering depending how long Evan might have the car.
Hornswoggler
Some quick searching and he WOULD have to swap transmissions in order to go w/ S50. Also need the DME (computer). Could quickly turn into a project (for better or worse..)

Looking on ebay, replacement M50 motor (stock) would be around $700 (+ shipping). Since his car is a 92, you want the NON-VANOS version.
awd4kicks
Thanks for the input Horns and other fellas. I have done some cursory searching on many swap options. Most are intriguing, but to expensive and time consuming to just put him back on the road.

It seems as though I have received a Christmas mirical! I was going on the word of Evan and his mom about the condition of the engine. I did hear a noise over the phone, so I took it at face value. I checked it out last Thursday night a bit and today more thoroughly. No engine knock to be found of any sort! I'm not sure what we were hearing, but rods don't mend themselves!

I did find that the 5th cylindr back is not running. I tested the coil and fuel injector along with power to each. All seems fine, but the engine is definitely not running on all cylinders at idle. When you rev it up the other cylinders make up the diference or it kicks in. So I still need to figure that out, but at least he can drive it with-out wory about the rods!

spyonu2007
thats awesome news, glad to hear the rod is ok.
Compression test that sucker.
dualdj1
Glad to hear it wasn't as major as was thought. If you find you still need to sell the RX7, let me know, my dad sounded interested in it.
awd4kicks
good call Dan. I need to get another compression test unit, I cant seem to find mine. I have to check the Talon too, so it makes sense to get one and get them both done.
awd4kicks
QUOTE (dualdj1 @ Dec 21 2009, 03:32 AM) *
Glad to hear it wasn't as major as was thought. If you find you still need to sell the RX7, let me know, my dad sounded interested in it.

That's still a possibility. I don't know if I will have the time or interest to finish it.
spyonu2007
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Dec 20 2009, 09:34 PM) *
good call Dan. I need to get another compression test unit, I cant seem to find mine. I have to check the Talon too, so it makes sense to get one and get them both done.

You can borrow mine if you like.
dualdj1
I have one too if you need it Marcus. Will either be around my place or Gross's tonight since he's in town. Give me a call if you need, 208-6687

jason
Hornswoggler
Could be a bad fuel injector? Can you pull the engine codes?
Patterson353
QUOTE (Patterson353 @ Dec 15 2009, 11:14 PM) *
There is a guy i work with that may be interested. I'll talk to him tomorrow.

Sorry man, he said he just don't have the money right now.
Hornswoggler
what did you guys figure out on the car?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.