Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2g blues
DSMCentral > Forum > General Talk
Pages: 1, 2
Patterson353
I started working on the 97 Gst I bought my wife this weekend. I'm pulling the motor so I start to take the halfshafts out. For a 97 the axle nuts were extremly rusty. I finally get the nuts off and the spline section of the halfshaft is totally seized to the hub. I tried heat and a sledge hammer and nothing. Needless to say I destroyed the threads on the half shafts! mad.gif I ended up pulling the whole hub off just to get the halfshafts out of the way.

So I pull the motor out and I am suprized to see several bolts missing! The guy I bought it from said it ran and had a fresh bottom end on it. He must of takin me for a fool!! First off I look at the timing belt and it's two teeth off from time. Then im looking at the tensioner and the part that the tensioner piviots don't even have a bolt in it to hold it to the block!!!!
I notice several bolts missing. I pull the head and I mad.gif mad.gif see a bent valve, and two little nicks on top of the piston where two other valves have hit!!!!l mad.gif I found a head for it I'm going to get next weekend.

I took pics of all this and will try to post them soon.
mitsu90
Damn sorry about your luck... Sounds like this guy was a tool..
Patterson353
QUOTE (mitsu90 @ Jan 11 2010, 09:29 PM) *
Damn sorry about your luck... Sounds like this guy was a tool..

I won't mention any names but I'm pretty sure you know who it it!!!!
Patterson353
He just claimed to put the timing belt on. He did say it ran fine. That was a lie!!! He pulled pullys off the car before I could hear it run.
mitsu90
Was it one of the local young ins?
dualdj1
Yeah that's some crap. tough luck man :/
spyonu2007
Man thats another travesty. Please pm me who it was so I can stay clear form any future cars he may sell.
black92_tsi_awd
Damn, that suck. Bet the wife was thrilled.
Patterson353
QUOTE (mitsu90 @ Jan 12 2010, 03:54 AM) *
Was it one of the local young ins?

Yes it was!!!!
Patterson353
QUOTE (black92_tsi_awd @ Jan 12 2010, 11:51 AM) *
Damn, that suck. Bet the wife was thrilled.

She wasn't that mad. I kinda warned her it may have problems before I tore into it.
mitsu90
QUOTE (Patterson353 @ Jan 12 2010, 03:57 PM) *
Yes it was!!!!

Atleast it's in good hands now
ncgalant
QUOTE (mitsu90 @ Jan 12 2010, 06:02 PM) *
Atleast it's in good hands now

la la la time for a 6 bolt swap
Patterson353
Did a little work on it this weekend. I was taking the bolt out of the front case and realized that the crank seal was not there!!!!! I'm no master mechanic but I'm kinda thinking that is important!!! What a Jack ass!!!! How would you leave that out? He told me it ran. I bet oil was leaking if it did run!!! laugh.gif
Patterson353
Patterson353
Patterson353
Patterson353
Patterson353
Patterson353
Patterson353
dualdj1
wow, tough luck man. Find any other major probs with it? Guessing you're going to do a full rebuild at this point?
kapoosh
Who sold you this car?! I would've returned it taken my money back smile.gif
Patterson353
QUOTE (dualdj1 @ Jan 25 2010, 08:34 AM) *
wow, tough luck man. Find any other major probs with it? Guessing you're going to do a full rebuild at this point?

Just those halfshafts being rusted to the hub!! Yea pretty much a full rebiuld.
Patterson353
QUOTE (kapoosh @ Jan 25 2010, 08:14 PM) *
Who sold you this car?! I would've returned it taken my money back smile.gif

PM'd
Patterson353
I'm droping the head off at Kalina tomorrow mad.gif laugh.gif
Patterson353

I got new tailights but i need to get the rust fixed after i get it running.
Patterson353

Got some of the parts cleaned up.
Patterson353
Patterson353
Patterson353
Patterson353
Patterson353
mitsu90
Damn you been busy.. ohmy.gif
black92_tsi_awd
damn, wish I had some time to fix my broken junk.
Patterson353
Yea its my second 40 hr job!!! laugh.gif
mitsu90
I wish I had half that garage so I could be working on my turd.. sad.gif
Patterson353
The bill for the head is $570. The entire exhaust side was shot. No cracks but he said he needed to deck it a little.
Patterson353
Got another $300 in hubs and halfshafts!!!
scorp28
Why do people insist on lying to sell their stuff? When people start finding out who it was I bet he won't be selling much of anything else from now on. I know there were more major things, but come on, putting silicone on a cracked valve cover. Just replace the damn thing! I agree with Kapoosh, I probably would have taken it back and demanded my money back also.
mitsu90
It was the same person who sold you the alt. huh.gif
kapoosh
He has a gsx for sale right now too....buyer beware i guess.....
Patterson353
Yea a 97 or 98 gsx for $8,000 or something!!!!! Same color as I one I bought.
The Iron Goat
QUOTE (Patterson353 @ Feb 3 2010, 11:31 PM) *
Yea a 97 or 98 gsx for $8,000 or something!!!!! Same color as I one I bought.

There must be something to our family being taken advantage of with DSMs. Spyrocket aside, of course.
Patterson353
I got most of the motor put back together. It took alot longer than I thought to get all that damn purple paint off!!!! I put the 14b out of the black car in it. I'll post some pics soon.
Patterson353

dualdj1
think your photobucket acct is having issues. remind me tonight and we can take a look at it.
Patterson353
I deleted my photos for some reason.

It's done and running. Well it ran for about .8 of a mile. Drove it down to the gas station and ran out of gas about 400 yards away. So I decide to push it the rest of the way. Wow!!!! Huge mistake!!!! I am so out of shape it ain't funny!!!! So I fill it up and the damn fuel pump burnt up! I towed it home. What a bitch!!
dualdj1
QUOTE (Patterson353 @ Mar 15 2010, 01:32 AM) *

It's done and running. Well it ran for about .8 of a mile. Drove it down to the gas station and ran out of gas about 400 yards away. So I decide to push it the rest of the way. Wow!!!! Huge mistake!!!! I am so out of shape it ain't funny!!!! So I fill it up and the damn fuel pump burnt up! I towed it home. What a bitch!!

lol you have the worst luck man. Hope that's a quick fix and she's out on the road again!

how's the lane setting up?
ncgalant
QUOTE (Patterson353 @ Mar 15 2010, 01:32 AM) *

Now that is some luck. Hopefully you can have her back on the road soon. I've got a window the first two weeks of April to get the galant back on the road. We should hook up after that.
black92_tsi_awd
I just ordered my clutch, mine should be done by then...so the three of us should get together. Give me a reason to keep going....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.