Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project Black Golfball-2011
DSMCentral > Forum > Project Threads
black92_tsi_awd
New year new thread.

Been too cold to fix the broken brake line that blew when trying to miss the sign in the ditch incident. I did buy a nive KD tool flaring kit!

I picked up a nice 3" fabricated O2 housing from Brent. He did a nice job fabricatig it but I can't leave anything alone so I cleaned it up and smoothed out the interior welds. Flattened out the flanges on my 6" wide belt sander. My 3" side dump exhaust will be based on this. New downpipe and all.

Have a TB flange and pipe ready to become my new TB elbow for the Speed density setup. Once the car moves again I get it in the garage to fit it up and weld.
black92_tsi_awd
Fab'd up my new upper TB Elbow. Need to get a bung for the IAT sensor. And now that I look at the picture I need to bead roll the end of the tube.
black92_tsi_awd
Well I got the brakes kind off fixed. Patched one leak and another section sprung a leak. Another line looked marginal. Used compression fittings for now. I know they are not the best but my buddy that helped uses them on his big 4x4's. Going to redo the brake lines with flared fitting once it gets warmed up and before I hit the track.
dualdj1
i really wish i had better fabricating equipment. a mandrel bender, band saw, etc etc. i tried making an exhaust piece for my fan yesterday, and it turned out horribly lol. but at least my welds looked good!

your stuff's looking good there, hope the project is coming along smoothly!
black92_tsi_awd
Started mocking up a 3" exhaust today. Looks like I'm going to have to put a smaller oil filter on to clear the big 3" o2 housing.

I can't remember, can you take off an o2 housing without dropping the turbo? The only way to get to the back bolt looks to be after removing the Alternator??
Patterson353
yea it sucks ive got mine off without droping turbo. i used a 1/4 drive socket with small extension to get it. take off the dipstick to get a little more room.
93dsmowner
Chris, are you using the short/fat filter or the longer thinner one?

I'm running the short one and have tons of room smile.gif

As for the o2 housing, a 3/8" ratchet with a 8" extension and some wrecklessness gets mine off haha.
black92_tsi_awd
I'm running whatever the stock size it. 8) Fram 3950 I beleive

I never thought of removing the dipstick. That should do it I think. Thanks guys.
93dsmowner
You'll go 11's if you switch to Purolator tongue.gif
black92_tsi_awd
Bought some parts Friday from Skaggs at Meinike. Getting closer. Wish the weather would stay warm so I could work in the driveway.
dualdj1
nice they have pretty good pricing on that stuff? I'm going to do some exh work one of these days, and need to find a cheap (preferably local) vendor
black92_tsi_awd
Yeah, he'll set you up. Nice guy, does great work.
black92_tsi_awd
Beginning of the 3" exhaust. Here's the start of the downpipe.
dualdj1
lookin good!
black92_tsi_awd
Picked up a 3" Moroso Spin Flow muffler from Winners Circle today. Need to head back to Meinke and get a tube expanded and another 3-bolt flange. Hopefully I can get this done this week.
black92_tsi_awd
Got the exhaust pretty much done Friday and took it on several drives to see if i liked the sound. Thing some damn angry at full throttle.

BUUUUUTTTT, took my son to Canton today and as we got in the throttle a little on the other side of Farmington....BANG, forth gear let go! WTF? I guess the bastardized trans I put together last year didn't make it.

Guess I'll rebuild the race trans I got last year and throw that in.

93dsmowner
Ouch! Get that thing goin! I want to make a "pass" with you sometime and my junk should be ready in a few weeks.
mitsu90
QUOTE (black92_tsi_awd @ Mar 20 2011, 07:41 PM) *
Got the exhaust pretty much done Friday and took it on several drives to see if i liked the sound. Thing some damn angry at full throttle.

BUUUUUTTTT, took my son to Canton today and as we got in the throttle a little on the other side of Farmington....BANG, forth gear let go! WTF? I guess the bastardized trans I put together last year didn't make it.

Guess I'll rebuild the race trans I got last year and throw that in.

hmm must of been the perfect day for dsm trans to go boom blink.gif
black92_tsi_awd
93dsmowner...it'll be back real soon.

Mitsu....your blow up too?
mitsu90
Yea it was in bad shape to begin with but finally exploded last nite.. good times laugh.gif
bluzvr4
ive never seen a mitsu so afraid of a 240 smile.gif ur trans was like hell no and committed suicide
mitsu90
Haha it just didn't feel like losing again
93dsmowner
And I have bent valves.

Guess I have to go to Patterson's DSM Graveyard
black92_tsi_awd
Exhaust is done. I have 3 trans apart trying to put enough together...8)
black92_tsi_awd
Finally dedicated some time to getting the race trans back together yesterday and put it in today.

She's alive! Couldn't remember which thickness of pivot ball shim I used before so Ethan had to help me pull it 3 times to get the clutch adjusted right! For a 9 yrs old he does pretty good. He ran the trans jack and the breaker bar in the crank to help line up the splines. We swap it 3 times in one hour!

The new poly mounts have pretty good vibration in the steering wheel. Glad I didn't swap the driver side and trans mounts, just the roll stoppers.
93dsmowner
3 times in an hour is pretty damned good!
awd4kicks
Nice work Chris...Would you like me to take it to DSMCentral Drag Day for you now that it's fixed? laugh.gif
black92_tsi_awd
93dsmowner
Unfortunately I've had WAY too much practice in the last couple of years.

Kicks
I'd almost loan you the car if I had a chance to get it down the track first. You say the word and I'll come wrench on yours. I don't think we've even raced...

Was out terrorizing Yates City a little while ago. Ran it over to a buddys house about 2-3 miles away. He heard me get on it leaving town when I ran it through the gears. God my neighbors got to love me!
mitsu90
You can come put my trans in anytime you want haha laugh.gif
93dsmowner
Yeah go swap his trans so he'll stfu. I would but I don't know how.
black92_tsi_awd
You own a DSM and can't swap a trans???? wacko.gif
93dsmowner
QUOTE (black92_tsi_awd @ Jun 4 2011, 09:19 PM) *
You own a DSM and can't swap a trans???? wacko.gif

Sarcasm doesn't work over the internet. I'm on trans #2 and on my 3rd clutch and 4th clutch disc...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.