Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Project: The TSI AWD that could.
93dsmowner
post May 3 2008, 04:26 PM
Post #1

DSMCentral Freak

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,799

Picked up a 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 6bolt w/ 4bolt rear for $900 today. Definitely a project for me.

Needs the interior detailed due to mold. Needs some interior panel TLC.

Transmission grinds. Needs syncros replaced.

New plugs: NGK-R

Went to replace the PCV valve and the piece that covers the threaded area broke... now I need a new valve cover... oh joy. Is $75 reasonable for one or does anyone have one I can have? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Experienced fuel-cut in 2nd gear at 5k RPM. This thing is the fastest car I've driven to date...

So I have my work cut out for me. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

For those wondering, it's treydawg's Talon he had for sale.

--------------------
If the sound of a DSM in the distance rowing through the gears gives you a hardon, you might be a car enthusiast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
black92_tsi_awd
post May 3 2008, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Eats and sleeps DSM jargin.

Member No.: 389

That's a good year with the prime 6bolt/4 bolt.

Look at my Garage...show you to get in the 12's. biggrin.gif

Look around for a valve cover, you should be able to get them on the board or ebay cheaper.

--------------------
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD "The Black Golfball" How fast can a 14B go???
91 Chevy C1500 "Problem Child" **SOLD**
01 Impala DD
07 Trailblazer Wife's new DD

Cars run on blood, sweat, and horsepower...
Without the first two, you can't get the last"

SOB Racing "Sitting On Blocks"

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post May 3 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #3

DSMCentral Godfather

Group: Admin
Member No.: 26

Excellent purchase! biggthumpup.gif

--------------------
In Loving memory of David T Crebo
Greatness comes from the most unexpected places!
user posted image

+Quote Post
93dsmowner
post May 3 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #4

DSMCentral Freak

I know. I'm hearing an awful lot about you Mr. Marcus.

Would ya mind heading over with Travis when we pull my tranny? Won't be for quite some time... gotta save up $800 for a damned rebuild from JacksTransmissions...

Also keeping an eye out for a Shephard or Jacks AWD tranny to buy on DSM Trader...

I think I am going to be working on this over the summer. It should be done sometime next Spring.

Plans are:

3" exhaust (including downpipe and test pipe). Apexi N1 or Bushur Racing.
Replacing rubber intake plumbing with solid. MBC and gauges. 190 rewired pump. Not sure on injector size (depends on hp goal), GM MAFT, external wastegate.

I figure 350hp to the wheels is a reasonable goal. 220 made me giddy until fuel cut at 5k...

Hopefully I can get around $4k saved up and go from there.

--------------------
If the sound of a DSM in the distance rowing through the gears gives you a hardon, you might be a car enthusiast.

+Quote Post
black92_tsi_awd
post May 4 2008, 09:22 AM
Post #5

what turbo do you plan on running?

strip, street or open track car?

that information combined with your HP goals will help decide which way to go with all the modifications.

--------------------
01 Impala DD

+Quote Post
93dsmowner
post May 4 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #6

DSMCentral Freak

First and foremost it will be a DD... that's why I'm going to take so long and do everything right.

I might autocross it, but not until I get a nice suspension underneath. I have the wheels and tires from my Eclipse so I'm set there.

More than likely I'd like to get down to a 13 or maybe 12's if $$$ allows.

Going to pull the valve cover tonight and make sure nothing fell into the top of the motor when the valve cover broke. I need to jack it up and see if there is anything I can do to fix the exhaust rattle too. Maybe I'll just have a downpipe and nothing else smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ncgalant
post May 4 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #7

Post Master

Member No.: 182

Sounds like you'll be wanting an evo3 16g and 650s with those goals. I wouldn't worry to much about the external WG though. Seems like a waste of $$ with a 350hp goal.

--------------------
GVR4 866/1000 = the perpetually broken car

+Quote Post
93dsmowner
post May 4 2008, 07:14 PM
Post #8

DSMCentral Freak

Yeah. I was thinking of either maxing out the 14b or going with the Evo 16G. That's what I had guess was a set of Denso 650's or something.

Changed the oil tonight and put some Rislone additive in it. Oil was watery and black. 10W30 Quaker State and Purolator Premium Plus filter (Didn't have a PureOne in stock)

So what should I do for a tranny to hold 350hp? Clutch? I have $350 right now and make $240/month.

Oh, and I started the car in 1st so I could use 1st. Got a little 3k RPM launch in the street..... I love this car smile.gif

Even though Travis put the extended rod on the slave cylinder, it still seems like the threaded rod needs to be turned out... When I start the car in gear, it moves the car... and it's on a flat area...

I need to clean the interior throughout this week. It's all moldy and it smells HORRID in this thing...

--------------------

+Quote Post
black92_tsi_awd
post May 4 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #9

The 14b can get you in the 12's, the 16g gets you there faster.

I would just rebuild the stock trans and call it a day. I would spend the money fixing up the rest of the car.

I have a ACT 2600 in mine, has over 100 strip passes on it and most of those on a 5500 launch stutterbox. I measured it last time it was out and it's only halfway worn.

--------------------
01 Impala DD

+Quote Post
93dsmowner
post May 4 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #10

DSMCentral Freak

Once I do a tranny rebuild it will be my DD.

$1300 for this sound good??
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/product_...9fe654299709492

I was told that since the syncros are so bad and have been ground (45 minute drive home...) that the hubs/sliders would need replacing...

I figure the extra $500 over the Economy rebuild (so I'd have a double syncro 1st and 2nd) would be worth it for the longetivity.

The stock clutch is great. It engages on the floor. Like I said, it moves the car... I need someone to depress the clutch when it's jacked up to see if the slave cylinder has any breathing room to push more... don't want to bend it or break anything... it just feels like it's not disengaging the clutch.

EDIT: The only difference between Economy and Value is:
New 3-4 hub
New 3-4 slider
4 Spider Center Diff w/ Upper Torrington Bearing
Double syncro 1st gear.

Is it even worth the extra $500? Since 3rd grinds, I assume I need the new hub and slider..

EDIT2: Should I stay away from eBay downpipes, test pipes, and other parts?? I found a 3" test-pipe for $75/shipped and a 3" downpipe for $155 What about the O2 sensor? Isn't that in the O2 housing right off the turbo? Would I still need a "catback" to finish it off? Still learning guys! Bear with me smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JMoushon
post May 5 2008, 06:55 AM
Post #11

Post Master

Member No.: 32

Not sure of your exact goals and $$, but 13's are attainable with a mbc and exhaust, running race gas... pretty cheap. 12's are not expensive either, just a good fuel pump, clutch, and a few supporting mods...

--------------------
2009 Scion Tc
1994 Del Sol Si
1991 Talon TSi AWD
1990 Mustang GT FOR SALE!!!

+Quote Post
93dsmowner
post May 5 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #12

DSMCentral Freak

Boy oh boy. I'm frustrated. Going through the interior cleaning out the mold and mildew. Went to turn the car around and it was idling kinda high. Cranked the wheel and gave it a couple revs to 3-4k (Idlin at 2k) and went to turn the car around. Went to straighten the wheel and: NO POWER STEERING.

Turns out the freaking belt came off. There was a bar chilling on the side too so my tensioner may have been missing or something. At this point, I'm ready to say screw it and just pull the motor out of it and go from there. It seems like something else goes wrong everytime I start the thing.

I love my DSM. smile.gif

Oh, would it be alright for SloPny to rebuild the tranny? Haven't called for a price but ShepTrans said I would need the stage 3 to hold 400hp with some head room. :/ $2k for a rebuild isn't in my budget.

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Bearcat's GS-T
post May 5 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #13

Beginner

Member No.: 2,001

It seems like something else goes wrong everytime I start the thing.

I love my DSM.

AHHH that's just the nature of the beast. biggrin.gif As far as that exhaust goes, I recommend the APEXi N1 exhaust system. It is a little on the pricey side, but you will never regret the awesome deep rumble that that system makes and the added power you get from it as well. As far as the EBAY parts go, you usually get what you pay for. If it seems too good to be true, it is. So shop around, sometimes you can find a real bargain on Ebay, other times you just have to laugh and go on. ( Like when you see a Brembo brake kit for $500) My advice would be to stick with the tried and true companies and to go to their web sites to see who is an authorized dealer of their products. Machv.com is a great site for any stage of modification, and they have a page that shows you the recommended order to do your upgrades. Good luck with your TSI, and happy tuning! biggthumpup.gif

-Matt

+Quote Post
93dsmowner
post May 5 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #14

DSMCentral Freak

Paying $1200 for 12ft of 3" pipe and a few flanges? Yuckk...

Oh well. Is that belt problem a tough job to tackle for my first time working on the 4g63?

--------------------

+Quote Post
treydawgs4g63T
post May 6 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #15

Post Master

Member No.: 556

belt should be a breaze, prolly wasnt tight enough. the bracket thats hangin there is most likely just the little one that connects from the motor mount bracket to the bracket the PS pump sits in front of. one bolt and one nut!

I am running a 3" buschur racing exhaust system and love it! i wouldnt have something made, i would just save up and buy one of the good name brand systems.

--------------------
"One of the most Crazy and Undecisive Members in central Illinois"

+Quote Post
93dsmowner
post May 7 2008, 06:17 AM
Post #16

DSMCentral Freak

Yeah looked at the belt with a buddy last night. On that bracket, there's just a nut on the bottom. :/ I need to look up how the belt goes on though. Got it around the power steering and alt. Doesn't seem big enough to go around much more... maybe one more accessory. :/ Oh well.

Hey Travis, I was told that my clutch isn't disengaging properly. Will it bend the slave cylinder rod if I adjust the clutch linkage under the dash?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SCCA Stang
post May 7 2008, 06:22 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 150

I was running a 3" pressbent custom setup and it sounded good... go to neamore's exhaust in CreveTucky.. talk to Brian, he knows his shit and make you one hell of a good sounding exhaust pretty cheap too.

--------------------
You CAN sleep in your car, but your CAN NOT race your house!!!
-------------------------------------------------------

Double Decker spoilers are uber ricerlicious!!!!

user posted image

+Quote Post
93dsmowner
post May 7 2008, 06:35 AM
Post #18

DSMCentral Freak

Sound isn't as important as flow. I didn't mind my Eclipse and not only was it obnoxious, but not that rumble that everyone loves.

I just want a 3" pipe that goes from the turbo to the bumper with an Apexi N1 muffler.

Only reason I see to go to a Megan Racing/Buschur/Apexi full exhaust is for the research/design and a few less decibels...

--------------------

+Quote Post
JMoushon
post May 7 2008, 07:06 AM
Post #19

Post Master

Member No.: 32

I've got a 2.5" magnaflow I'll let you have CHEAP. It's a cat-back. You can go 12s on a 2.5" PM if interested.

--------------------
2009 Scion Tc
1994 Del Sol Si
1991 Talon TSi AWD
1990 Mustang GT FOR SALE!!!

+Quote Post
Dakota_DSM
post May 7 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #20

Person of Wisdom

Member No.: 1,184

QUOTE (93dsmowner @ May 3 2008, 04:26 PM)
Picked up a 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 6bolt w/ 4bolt rear for $900 today. Definitely a project for me.

Needs the interior detailed due to mold. Needs some interior panel TLC.

Transmission grinds. Needs syncros replaced.

New plugs: NGK-R

Went to replace the PCV valve and the piece that covers the threaded area broke... now I need a new valve cover... oh joy. Is $75 reasonable for one or does anyone have one I can have? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Experienced fuel-cut in 2nd gear at 5k RPM. This thing is the fastest car I've driven to date...

So I have my work cut out for me. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

For those wondering, it's treydawg's Talon he had for sale.

I have a valve cover that I will be taking off my GST sometime today... I honestly think $75 is to much for a regular old valve cover... So $55 and you can have it....

--------------------
Dakota D.|1995 Mitsu Eclipse GST
It's stock...

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 10:15 PM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions