Reply to this topicStart new topic
> max boost on stock sidemount w/ 16g
jvb6806
post Jul 5 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #1

DSMCentral Freak

Group: Members
Member No.: 351

i am trying to figure what would be a safe amount of boost to run on the street on a stock sidemount with a 16g. i am wondering what you guys are running on the street. i would like to run 20psi on my ported big 16g with ported 2G manifold but if i remember correctly wort said he was only running 18psi on his due to the stock sidemount issue. i have 510's and a 190lph pump so i should have enough fuel to run 20psi in the summer i hope... maybe larger injectors in a few weeks if i am running out of fuel. i have a few lines on a front mount if need be, but i don't have the funds really to make that investment right off the bat if i don't have to.

i have no problem running 18psi for right now but i am just curious.

and i apologize for my noobie 16g question.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jvb6806
post Jul 5 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #2

DSMCentral Freak

QUOTE (spyonu2007 @ Jul 5 2005, 09:38 PM)
Seems like every car is different, best bet is to log it.

Stock Ic's heat soak pretty fast, Id put a supra sidemount on that bad boy and call it a day.

yeah i thought about that a while ago but there is a bit of fab work into that. if anyone has a supra sidemount that is ready to bolt up let me know. i am also toying with the idea of a starion frontmount of the timebeing untill i can get a better kit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MidwestDSM
post Jul 6 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #3

Post Master

Member No.: 151

starion frontmount fs
I imagine this guy has all the piping and shizzy too. For that price, it would be worth calling about at least.

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post Jul 6 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #4

DSMCentral Godfather

Group: Admin
Member No.: 26

The stock side mount will heat soak soon regardless of what turbo or boost you run with it. I have run 18-20psi with my stock side mount and the hotter less efficiant 14b. If you do so just keep an eye on your logger because a heat soaked IC can create hotter intake charges and more detonation.

You should be able to get a couple good runs before heat oak though. wink.gif

--------------------
In Loving memory of David T Crebo
Greatness comes from the most unexpected places!
user posted image

+Quote Post
wortdog
post Jul 6 2005, 06:23 PM
Post #5

Post Master

Member No.: 19

I ran 20psi and a 50/50 mix of 93 and 110 octane at the track day. About 3/4 of a mile out of the pits, the intercooler was completely heat soaked and the car was noticeably down on power. If you're serious about running 20+psi, get a decently sized front mount and ditch your A/C.

--------------------
Eric Wort
87 White Buick Turbo 'T' (11.71 @ 116.5, 1.61 60ft, slipping trans)
92 Teal Eagle Talon TSi AWD (burn victim)

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post Jul 6 2005, 09:06 PM
Post #6

DSMCentral Godfather

Ditch your AC!?! ohmy.gif Screw that! laugh.gif

I plan to run 25-30psi with a front mount and the AC in working order. biggthumpup.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
badbu68
post Jul 6 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #7

Person of Wisdom

Member No.: 66

Their is always the option to convert the stock sidemount to run a2w. But then you'd have to believe that a2w is better than a2a.

+Quote Post
jvb6806
post Jul 6 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #8

DSMCentral Freak

i have picked up a starion IC and it is sitting up stairs. the pipes that were with it have poorly done crush bends teamed with some of the worst welding i have ever seen so i am going to junk those.

there is a mandrel bent hard pipe that comes across the top so the inlet and outlet are on the same side to make it easier to run the new pipes. i am toying with the idea of trying to find thick 2.5" rubber hoses like the stock IC pipes that have bends that will connect the hard pipes that i already have. i know it will expand and will not spool as quick as have a full hard pipe kit but i will probably find rubber lines that will work for the time being and then order the bends i need and weld up once i know the shape i need... or just stop being cheap and order a used buschur kit like i should have done in the first place smile.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jvb6806
post Jul 6 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #9

DSMCentral Freak

QUOTE (badbu68 @ Jul 6 2005, 10:59 PM)
Their is always the option to convert the stock sidemount to run a2w. But then you'd have to believe that a2w is better than a2a.

i was thinking of putting a full throttle switch in to the water pump for the window sprayers and filling that resivoir with water and running the line to the IC with a jet so that when i go WOT i will spray the IC but i decided that running a FMIC was just a better idea.

who knows i might do the sprayer on the FMIC if i get bored one weekend.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xian 1g
post Jul 7 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #10

Eats and sleeps DSM jargin.

Member No.: 268

if you believe? someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a2w is better for the track as opposed to a2a... daily driven, there is some debate...

jim, throw it on a logger, or upgrade your smic.

--------------------
game over.

+Quote Post
badbu68
post Jul 7 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #11

Person of Wisdom

QUOTE (xian 1g @ Jul 7 2005, 01:07 AM)

daily driven, there is some debate...

Thus being my point.

+Quote Post
badbu68
post Jul 7 2005, 12:28 AM
Post #12

Person of Wisdom

QUOTE (jvb6806 @ Jul 7 2005, 12:19 AM)
i was thinking of putting a full throttle switch in to the water pump for the window sprayers and filling that resivoir with water and running the line to the IC with a jet so that when i go WOT i will spray the IC but i decided that running a FMIC was just a better idea.

who knows i might do the sprayer on the FMIC if i get bored one weekend.

The more worthwhile DIY mod would be to run a homemade water injection kit. One that would come on at a certain boost psi to prevent detonation, cooling intake charge, and enabeling you to run more boost.

In fact, if you're going to stay with a stock side mount, this would be one of the better options besides propane injection wich would allow for more mods in case you opt to go that direction.

+Quote Post
wortdog
post Jul 7 2005, 12:29 AM
Post #13

Post Master

QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Jul 7 2005, 03:06 AM)
Ditch your AC!?! ohmy.gif Screw that! laugh.gif

I plan to run 25-30psi with a front mount and the AC in working order. biggthumpup.gif

My car was already running a stready 235-240 degrees on the track, I'd hate to see what it would be with a 3" thick front mount jammed in front of it.

--------------------
Eric Wort

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post Jul 7 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #14

DSMCentral Godfather

This is off the subject but with the AC in working order, my car has never run over 205 degrees at the most and 99% of the time it was at 195 degrees. Well, except when my head gasket went south. wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
wortdog
post Jul 7 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #15

Post Master

Mine sat at 195-200 with the A/C on the whole trip there and back. Things change at a roadcourse wink.gif

--------------------
Eric Wort

+Quote Post
awd4kicks
post Jul 7 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #16

DSMCentral Godfather

Ahh...at a road corse. Somehow I missed that little detail. That would explain the 3/4 mile measurement then. biggthumpup.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
jvb6806
post Jul 9 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #17

DSMCentral Freak

16G is on and as a nice suprise when i opened the box there was an FP stamp on the exhaust houseing. i went out for a cruise tonight after a 10min quick tune and i guess i was shooting 2' fire balls and spewing black smoke... so i guess i need to do some more tuning. after the cruise and the results of the spritited driving with a modded STI i think that mid 12's is pretty realistic after my FMIC... needless to say i will be tuning my ass of tomorrow and the car is a shit load of fun now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
haunter
post Jul 10 2005, 11:49 AM
Post #18

DSMCentral Freak

Member No.: 382

QUOTE (jvb6806 @ Jul 9 2005, 11:19 PM)
16G is on and as a nice suprise when i opened the box there was an FP stamp on the exhaust houseing. i went out for a cruise tonight after a 10min quick tune and i guess i was shooting 2' fire balls and spewing black smoke... so i guess i need to do some more tuning. after the cruise and the results of the spritited driving with a modded STI i think that mid 12's is pretty realistic after my FMIC... needless to say i will be tuning my ass of tomorrow and the car is a shit load of fun now.

JVB code breakdown: I will break my car within 2 days

--------------------
QUOTE (scrapin_frame)
christian, i may be interested in your bottom end!

+Quote Post
Justincredible
post Jul 10 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #19

Post Master

Member No.: 181

give jmoushon a ring about hard pipes.

as for 20 psi thats what I ran on my evo3. But, I also had more tuning advantages.

+Quote Post
jvb6806
post Jul 12 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #20

DSMCentral Freak

QUOTE (haunter @ Jul 10 2005, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (jvb6806 @ Jul 9 2005, 11:19 PM)

JVB code breakdown: I will break my car within 2 days

this is coming from the man who has one car that doesn't run and a car that he can't he can't even keep wheel studs one (and neither of which are DSM's). it has been two days and the car is still running like a champ. i am at 16psi right now untill i get the FMIC on. just threw in a walbro255 this morning and i now have the fuel i was lacking above 6500.

and justin... were you running an EMS? i have a chipped Eprom ECU and a S-AFC i dont' know else there is to do besides the standalone (yeah yeah i know MAFT but i like the ease of use and tune on the fly of the SAFC)?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 05:23 AM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions