> Question about cam sprocket alignment
Jason ESi-T
post Oct 23 2002, 10:10 AM
Post #1

HONDA KILLER

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

Hey Guys,

I've recently got my rebuilt head(bent valves) back from the machine shop for the Laser and threw it back on my block. Before, I tighten down the head bolts, I was messing with the cam sprockets to make sure they line up at TDC. However, it appears that the TDC lines on the cam sprockets do not line up exactly right. The exhaust side is about one half tooth off from the intake side.

I realize this is all with the timing belt completely off. I guess my question is, is this normal? Will the lines match up after I wrench/turn the sprocket so that the lines match up, and then have the timing belt hold that mark in place, even though thenatural tension of the sprockets has the lines pulling away from eachother at half a tooth?

Thanks in advance! I've not done a timing belt before, and I want to make sure everything is okay.

--------------------
98 Eagle Talon ESi (turbo'ed)

Built 420a engine, 8 injectors, Super 16 turbo, custom FMIC...much more!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
awd4kicks
post Oct 23 2002, 11:19 AM
Post #2

DSMCentral Godfather

Group: Admin
Member No.: 26

Yeah Jason, the Exhaust cam will always want to rotate a little bit counter clock wise. The marks won't stay lined up until you get the belt on.

The TB is not impossible to od, just be carefull, take your time and don't be afraid to take it off and do it again if your not comfortable with the alignment of the timing marks. I generaly re-install my belt 2-3 times before I'm satisfied that it is absolutely correct when I do the replacement. If you happen to have the engine out, do it before it goes back in. BIG time saver.

BTW-Are you removing the balance shafts?

Marcus

--------------------
In Loving memory of David T Crebo
Greatness comes from the most unexpected places!
user posted image

+Quote Post
Jason ESi-T
post Oct 23 2002, 12:28 PM
Post #3

HONDA KILLER

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

The engine isn't out, only the head was, to install those RRE SS valves. Unfortunately, this go round with the head out is totally NO FRILLS. I'm also having a spare 420a engine being built up with forged internals right now, so I want to finish that project, in terms of money devotion, before I start giving more attention to the Laser.

Right now, though, I'm only doing the basic stuff to the Laser to get it going, including merely putting on a new balance shaft belt, instead of totally removing it. I'm not at all comfortable with doing that yet. I
ve read a ton of stuff about it too, including stubby mirage shafts and such, but at this point, I just want to get the car running. Since I've had it, I haven't even had an opportunity to drive it. I can't wait to do that! :-) At least it's a 6 bolt with a 4 bolt rear end!

BTW, thanks a lot for the heads up on the timing marks! I may be doing another one soon on my bro's 2g GS-T. Apparently, he may have CW, so a 6 bolt conversion may be in his future as well. :roll:

--------------------
98 Eagle Talon ESi (turbo'ed)

Built 420a engine, 8 injectors, Super 16 turbo, custom FMIC...much more!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:09 AM
Design by: IPB Download & eBusiness Discussions