Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project 94 AWD
DSMCentral > Forum > Project Threads
Pages: 1, 2
93dsmowner
The goal is simple. All around awesomeness.

I took the car to the track for the Hangover Fest and managed a 11.95 @ 115.86 mph. Car is setup as follows.

Stock 7 bolt with ARP head studs.
Big 16g I rebuilt
Punishment FMIC
3" exhaust, stock o2 housing.
2g exhaust manifold
FIC BlueMax 1250 injectors
Jay Racing 341 intank pump (270lph at 70psi operating pressure)
KYB AGX Struts/Ground Control coilover sleeves

Putting on the Jay Racing Toe Eliminator soon.

11.95 at around 27psi of boost.

Trying to figure out where I want to take it next..
black92_tsi_awd
Congrats man!

The next thing i would do is Drive the car....you've been working on this thing for a long time.

I'd get some more runs before changing too much. That setup should get you mid 11's I would think.

What where your 60's? I have AGX's also, what did you have the shocks set at?
bluzvr4
i didnt relize that was u lol congrats again
93dsmowner
Well Chris, the shocks are set full stiff. Car is getting the Toe Eliminator and a alignment so I expect to pick up a couple mph and some et as well as the car is pretty far off.

Oh and did I mention this was on snow tires? smile.gif

1.800 60'
5.051 330'
7.726 1/8 mile @ 91.61mph
10.017 1000'
11.950 1/4 mile @ 115.86mph

First two full passes were a 12.26 and 12.27.
awd4kicks
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Jan 2 2011, 04:32 AM) *
Oh and did I mention this was on snow tires? smile.gif

1.800 60'
5.051 330'
7.726 1/8 mile @ 91.61mph
10.017 1000'
11.950 1/4 mile @ 115.86mph

First two full passes were a 12.26 and 12.27.

Nice Work man!
Patterson353
QUOTE (bluzvr4 @ Jan 1 2011, 09:43 PM) *
i didnt relize that was u lol congrats again

yea i didnt either. great times! how did the mounts hold up?
93dsmowner
QUOTE (Patterson353 @ Jan 2 2011, 12:44 PM) *
yea i didnt either. great times! how did the mounts hold up?

Awesome! No wheel hop, just smooth spin!

Which made it an interesting ride on the backhalf. Guess I wasn't wrong because there was a pretty nasty wreck out there.
treydawgs4g63T
yea good work, you have definetly came far in the dsm game since the first time i met you.... workin on getting myself anther but cant find the right one yet....

congrats, see ya at the track this summer biggrin.gif
93dsmowner
QUOTE (treydawgs4g63T @ Jan 12 2011, 08:56 PM) *
yea good work, you have definetly came far in the dsm game since the first time i met you.... workin on getting myself anther but cant find the right one yet....

congrats, see ya at the track this summer biggrin.gif

Thanks man. That's for sure!

See ya there man. Maybe this one you will keep so you can build it up nice!
treydawgs4g63T
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Jan 12 2011, 11:22 PM) *
Thanks man. That's for sure!

See ya there man. Maybe this one you will keep so you can build it up nice!

yea i think i may have to with the purchase of a house and so on... plus thats kinda why im waitin to find the right one.

Pickin up my engine today to start putting together... 6 bolt of course... ima start my own thread here shortly
93dsmowner
Nice I'm going to be buying a 6 bolt block and bare head soon.

93dsmowner

LOL Oh boy.

That's a lot of squat for KYB AGX's at full stiff on Ground Control Coilovers...

Moves out pretty good.

Fastest pass of the day. Went on to run a 11.95 @ 115.

NO TRACK PREP. 17 degrees Fahrenheit outside. Worn Bridgestone Blizzak 205/55/16.

On a 16g.

I find it amusing that the car looks like crap and runs pretty decent smile.gif
mitsu90
11.95 Not bad.... for a DSM.. rolleyes.gif

haha **** the masses on CSS 11.95 is not bad for anything
awd4kicks
She is definitely a sleeper that would surprise a lot of people!

What was your 60ft. time for the 11.95? I'd say those soft Blizzaks were grabbing pretty damn good for a 115mph.
93dsmowner
1.800. I go high 1.6's low 1.7's in the summer but there was definitely a LOT of wheelspin. 1st and part of 2nd was pointless. Love how hard the 16g hits haha.
93dsmowner
Here's a little vid of the car.

http://vimeo.com/19091520
mitsu90
That whole thing was shot with a Droid X.. simply amazing blink.gif ..
93dsmowner
QUOTE (mitsu90 @ Jan 24 2011, 07:24 PM) *
That whole thing was shot with a Droid X.. simply amazing blink.gif ..

Yeah it shoots 1080 i think.
awd4kicks
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Jan 24 2011, 02:19 PM) *
1.800. I go high 1.6's low 1.7's in the summer but there was definitely a LOT of wheelspin. 1st and part of 2nd was pointless. Love how hard the 16g hits haha.

I bet, it's a night and day difference for me from the 14b at mid 12's with instant spool..to what I would consider excessive spool for only about 8 tenths of a second in the quarter mile. My drive line parts last a lot longer wit hthe bigger turbo though. I used to drive the living dog shit right out of that car wit hte 14b...everything to the ragged edge. I miss the quick spool!
93dsmowner
QUOTE (awd4kicks @ Jan 24 2011, 09:14 PM) *
I bet, it's a night and day difference for me from the 14b at mid 12's with instant spool..to what I would consider excessive spool for only about 8 tenths of a second in the quarter mile. My drive line parts last a lot longer wit hthe bigger turbo though. I used to drive the living dog shit right out of that car wit hte 14b...everything to the ragged edge. I miss the quick spool!

I won't be losing much spool honestly.

On a big cam motor people are seeing full boost around 4k on this HX35. I'm doing a built 2.0L somewhere are 9.5:1 or higher compression on E85 with the Holset on the BEP .55AR hotside with a set of Delta 280/280 cams and a JMFab Street Manifold and FPRace exhaust manifold.

I'm going to use a lot of black powdercoat and paint. End result will hopefully be clean and sleeper smile.gif
awd4kicks
Sounds good!

Mine is a stage 3 Buscher short block built with 272's and all the tricks. It is supposed to hit full boost long before it does. I think my main problem is my stock, but ported 2G exhaust manifold and my smart but limited street tune on a stock EPROM. A header and a real management system would make it sick. Unfortunately traction is already rediculous at these power levels. Even with AWD I normally can only pull a 1.9 60ft. on the Sumitomos that I have. When I had the 14b at around 375-400hp I was easily cutting low 1.7 second 60 ft. times. So mine will need stickier tires (maybe slicks) to bring the quarter mile times back in line with it's potential. Then of course heavier duty axles will probably be required as they begin to snap under the new level of grip. After 10 years of pouring money, heart and soul into my Talon I am on a much needed break. Stay tuned... Although these are some things to anticipate as you build your project.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
treydawgs4g63T
i know i definetly cant wait until the day you get your talon back out marcus... it definetly does take alot of time, money, blood sweat and tears to build a badass DSM and i have learned over the years myself and from the elder DSMers stories and track time.

I just cant get rid of the addiction... Cars are in my DNA... entire family build and race cars so i knew what i was bound to do as a hobby...

The one thing that has struck me the hardest over the years is NOT TO RUSH THROUGH your build because the out come will almost always tear you apart. DO it right the first time and only time!!

as i said before, good luck with your build zach, and ill see ya on the streets this summer....
93dsmowner
I talked to Joe at SBR about the motor.

Turns out that my motor is going to be a bastard child indeed!

Wiseco just release a E85 piston. 10.5:1 comp. Their HD line with the stronger wrist pins. Problem: only in 7 bolt.

No problem though. I'm building a 6 bolt. Oil squirters welded shut. Balance shaft delete. New oil pump and forward facing housing for a oil cooler setup since the turbo is oil cooled as well as lubricated.

Oh, the rods are Manley I Beam Turbo Tuff rods, which will be re bushed on the small end for the 7 bolt wrist pin diameter.

ACL Race bearings, OEM crank. I may decide to go to a more aggressive camshaft as Kelford just released a high lift 274/272 with almost .5" of lift.

Kiggly Beehives. SS valves of some sort. Minor porting on the head. I guess there is a large casting mark/ridge in the way of valve entry that causes a large amount of turbulence which fights flow/velocity so cylinder filling suffers.

Other than that, I just have to pray the driveline stays together. It's capable of 1000whp on this bottom end if built correctly. This motor won't see the light of day for quite some time but I will be slowly acquiring parts as I get the $$. Pistons and rods will be in the next month or so. I can't wait to build my first motor. All this reading and buying the tools to do it... comes down to this.

Oh and Marcus, I know I might not be much help BUT if you ever need or would like assistance, get ahold of me as I'm always free to help fellow DSM'ers.
93dsmowner
So I have the list pretty much down for the shortblock. Fairly simple to piece stuff together that will work and be enough for my goals.

Now the cylinder head..

Valvetrain. Cams...

I was going to do the Delta regrinds but I have heard some mixed reviews recently. Good but not the best. BC stuff isn't as aggressive as I'd like. Kelfords are big coin but they outperform the HKS cams of the past. Now I'm hearing about GSC. Everything from the rally car in a restrictor class to a full blown solid lifter race motor..

I'm lookin into the GSC S3's currently... Little more aggressive than the old FP4R's. And GSC's Beehive Spring/Retainer setup.

Only time will tell I guess..
black92_tsi_awd
You better save up for a dogbox trans.
93dsmowner
QUOTE (black92_tsi_awd @ Feb 10 2011, 07:46 PM) *
You better save up for a dogbox trans.

I am planning on one from DogBoxRacing. Already have a TRE Stage 2 with some shot peened/cryo treated/gear detailed gearsets in it, double sync 2nd, 4 spider, ripgrip lsd front. I'm planning on a TRE Max Lock rear end, a true full replacement aluminum driveshaft, and the dogbox with a twin disk.
bluzvr4
cant wait to see this get going! also nice to see this site pick up the past couple days
93dsmowner
QUOTE (bluzvr4 @ Feb 10 2011, 09:42 PM) *
cant wait to see this get going! also nice to see this site pick up the past couple days

Hell yeah!

I fixed my pre turbo exhaust leaks and started it one last time before teardown and you can hear the turbo through the exhaust at idle. Win. Lol. smile.gif
bluzvr4
so ur starting teardown now? hey i wanted to ask u too u think u could rebuild nicci's turbo?
93dsmowner
QUOTE (bluzvr4 @ Feb 11 2011, 09:16 PM) *
so ur starting teardown now? hey i wanted to ask u too u think u could rebuild nicci's turbo?

I meant for the clutch and a couple other fixes and mods while it's down.

And I probably could.
bluzvr4
i hope u can rebuild the turbo.

also im ordering a couple parts for the vr4 smile.gif
mitsu90
black92_tsi_awd rebuilds his turbos.. Give me a pm I'm sure he can help ya
93dsmowner
QUOTE (mitsu90 @ Feb 13 2011, 07:57 AM) *
black92_tsi_awd rebuilds his turbos.. Give me a pm I'm sure he can help ya

Yeah when you run a 14b hard you become familiar real quick haha.
bluzvr4
u should see my new pieces of art work i just ordered for the vr4 smile.gif
black92_tsi_awd
Watcha get???
bluzvr4
im getting ready to order my cat back but nicci (bluzgirl on css) just bought my a sexy fmic
bluzvr4
hey standard saw this and thought of u smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DSM-4G63-T4...1#ht_500wt_1182
93dsmowner
Little update.

Got the clutch back from Clutchmasters. Sent me a 6 puck solid hub at no charge, cleaned up the pressure plate and sent it back.

Got stock lower control arms in rear from a friend.
Ingalls rear upper control arms.
Jay Racing Toe Eliminator kit.
Ingalls front camber bolts
OEM rear toe arm eccentric bolts
New OEM Flywheel alignment dowels (3)
New CV boot for driver side outer joint
3qts of Redline MT90
JMFab ISC/FIAV blockoff plate. Yay no more of that crap.

I just need to install everything here in the coming week or two and get an alignment at BMW. (-0.5 deg camber F&R and 0 toe F&R to start)
93dsmowner
Waiting on Fidanza to call back about getting alignment dowels from them since the OEM ones are DIFFERENT.

On the list:

17"x9" +35mm Enkei RPF1's wrapped in something sticky.
Coilovers (K Sport Kontrol Pro's?)

When I get the dowels I can assemble the front end and start saving for coilovers and wheels.
bluzvr4
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Mar 18 2011, 12:15 AM) *
Waiting on Fidanza to call back about getting alignment dowels from them since the OEM ones are DIFFERENT.

On the list:

17"x9" +35mm Enkei RPF1's wrapped in something sticky.
Coilovers (K Sport Kontrol Pro's?)

When I get the dowels I can assemble the front end and start saving for coilovers and wheels.

what u doing with ur old suspension?
93dsmowner
QUOTE (bluzvr4 @ Mar 17 2011, 10:16 PM) *
what u doing with ur old suspension?

Probably selling it to you hahaa
bluzvr4
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Mar 19 2011, 08:10 PM) *
Probably selling it to you hahaa

smile.gif thats what i was hoping
93dsmowner
Passenger side is together. Need to assemble drivers side and then get everything centered, tight and go from there.

Hoping to get the car half assed aligned. Wish I had a caliper to use...
93dsmowner
I bought the rear rotors. Found out my passenger rear wheel bearing is bad so it is getting replaced. Going to install the new one at work tomorrow. Then I will be assembling the rest of the rear suspension tomorrow night and getting my alignment close with a little luck smile.gif

Dowels from Fidanza will be here Tuesday or Wednesday so the car should be ready to rock at that point. Just needs some oil haha.
bluzvr4
QUOTE (93dsmowner @ Mar 21 2011, 02:36 AM) *
I bought the rear rotors. Found out my passenger rear wheel bearing is bad so it is getting replaced. Going to install the new one at work tomorrow. Then I will be assembling the rest of the rear suspension tomorrow night and getting my alignment close with a little luck smile.gif

Dowels from Fidanza will be here Tuesday or Wednesday so the car should be ready to rock at that point. Just needs some oil haha.

hey i just saw this on tunners and didnt know if it was something u could use or not

http://www.dsmtuners.com/classifieds/4g63-...p;cutoffdate=14
bluzvr4
buy these and sell me urs:)
93dsmowner
In haste while trying to find an oil leak, I quickly timed the car. Which wasn't the problem. Problem was, I didn't turn it over by hand or I would have noticed the cam locker tool wasn't in place. GREAT.

So, bent valves. Should be picking up a 2g head of Patterson soon and sending it to get tanks, decked, o ringed, and new valve guides and seals for now I think. MAYBE get it ground for OS valves and get those Supertech valves I've been looking at so I can just drop the cams/valvetrain in later...

TO BE CONTINUED
dualdj1
have mullvains do the work if you don't have a preferred shop. He shouldn't be too awful busy right now, most of the dirt race stuff should be done.
bluzvr4
i found your injectors smile.gif
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIC-2150-In...b#ht_500wt_1182
93dsmowner
SuperTech Nitrided Intake and Exhaust valves, Supertech guides and seals, topline revised lifters. 2g head decked/o ringed. Should be fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.